PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a Custom Shop, S&W 39

JoeStrummer
06-06-12, 08:41
My wife's step dad gave me a S&W Model 39-2 that is in pretty good shape.

I am looking for a recommendation from someone that can attest to the quality of said work. Specifically I am looking for new sights and some finish work.

I have ordered a Wolff spring kit for it, and I am looking for new grips.

The goal is to get the gun at a 100% so the wife can use it as her carry gun after she takes the CCW course.

She does not like plastic framed guns, digs a 1911 & the 39 though, so I am thinking this would be a good starter gun.

Thanks

Rosco Benson
06-06-12, 10:10
You might try Novak's shop. Wayne Novak consulted with S&W on the program that resulted in the "4-digit" S&W autopistols (4506, etc). He also collects Devel conversions, which used the S&W's as the base gun.

Sights may be a problem. IIRC, the front is integral with the slide. The rear is an odd arrangement that has the front portion of the sight assembly as a sort of leaf spring that retains the sight. You won't find a replacement rear for it.

I had one of these, years ago, and found that the hammer had some very sharp edges at the serrations. These will need to be addressed for carry use.

dewatters
06-06-12, 11:00
I had one of these, years ago, and found that the hammer had some very sharp edges at the serrations. These will need to be addressed for carry use.

There used to be a firm that actually sold little rubber or plastic caps to put on the hammer spur of the 39 and 59. Too many uniform shirts were getting chewed up.

JoeStrummer
06-06-12, 11:33
Rosco
Thanks, I will check out Novak, I was looking for a fixed style rear at least. Did some searching for such a sight and found nothing fitting the bill.

And thanks for the reminder on the hammer, my first issued cop gun was a 5906 with adjustable sights. And the hammer did chew up the sides of the polyester LA PD blue shirts.

Those sights pretty much sucked, I prefer a fixed sighted for a duty/carry gun. Half of the guns on the department would not hold zero. And those weapons had been used maybe once or twice a year tops, not a lot of shooters on the department, 3 or 4 tops out of 28.

As the firearms instructor for the department I have some stories of buffoonery.

I replaced the springs/screws on the sights, only one still had issues after that, so it was sent to S&W and they replaced the entire sight and that seemed to fix the problem.

Still I do like a S&W auto, I would love to get a 10mm, 1006. But my next purchase is going to be a Wilson Combat 1911, so I am prepping to drop that coin.

Thanks for the recommendations ya all, keep them coming.

okie john
06-06-12, 12:51
Those sights pretty much sucked, I prefer a fixed sighted for a duty/carry gun. Half of the guns on the department would not hold zero.

The 39-3 is starting to pick up momentum with collectors, so it might be worthwhile to keep it as is. The ones out there are getting old, and it can be hard to find spare parts and holsters for them. If you're going to shoot it, zero the rear sight, then squirt it full of blue LocTite. It will stay zeroed for a long time, but you can still tweak it as needed.

Finally, have your wife try the 3913 before you put any coin into a 39-2. They're about the cost of a Glock and they're common enough that you can still get holsters, mags, and parts. I think they're the slickest of the 39 variants.

Okie John

JoeStrummer
06-06-12, 13:06
Okie
Thanks for the advice, I am going to break out the Loc-Tight this afternoon. I have always had a warm spot for S&W, especially revolvers.

The wife really likes a 1911 45 ACP so I may get a commander length slide, aluminum government framed Wilson in the near future.

And to think she is on the liberal side, somewhat of a hippie, but she has taken pretty well to shooting in general.

She is seeing the rational and common sense of having a firearm on your person and receiving the proper training, and being a responsible gun owner.

varoadking
06-06-12, 18:44
I've owned many, but this factory nickel 39-2 with Keith Brown fancy walnut stocks is my favorite and the only one I still own. It shoots as good as it looks...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/Mancave/m39-2006.jpg

JoeStrummer
06-06-12, 20:25
Very nice RoadKing!!