PDA

View Full Version : Were to Engrave?

Pax
06-06-12, 18:21
If I can find one available for sale, I will definitely consider SBRing an AXTS AX556 lower. Because AXTS included PMag-style ribbing on the magwell and a big ol bolt release lever on the right side and "AXTS Salem OR" engraved on the left, the issue of where to engrave my information becomes a problem. Here are some pictures for reference:

https://axtsweapons.com/

Anybody know if I can engrave the Trust name and location in separate locations on the lower? Anybody ever seen this info engraved along the loop that houses the RE threads? I do not plan on using a Magpul ASAP or any similar device that may cover some of the engraving there. What about on the beveled inner edge of the magwell? Plenty of space there, visible without any disassembling of the firearm...

I have heard conflicting reports of the legality of abbreviated locations, i.e. PHX, AZ. Can any parties more experienced than me shed some light on this? This may be key to the solution.

Thanks for any help. I understand I may just have to use a normal lower. And thats fine.. Theyve been working fine for me for years. Very interested in this promising technology, though.

Also, opps, thred titel.

VLODPG
06-06-12, 18:25
If you are not going to play musical barrels, then just do the underside of the barrel & call it a day!

BCmJUnKie
06-06-12, 18:28
Yes we are.....only the NFA guys

:D

BCmJUnKie
06-06-12, 18:32
Right side FCG is a good spot, especially on that lower. Plenty of room. Or underneath by the trigger

Trunkmonkey4
06-06-12, 20:47
Right side FCG is a good spot, especially on that lower. Plenty of room. Or underneath by the trigger

You have to remove the trigger guard in most cases I have seen, which you can't do with this lower.

Although....

The right side above the hammer pin would work wouldn't it?

BCmJUnKie
06-06-12, 21:08
You have to remove the trigger guard in most cases I have seen, which you can't do with this lower.

Although....

The right side above the hammer pin would work wouldn't it?

Thats the Right side FCG area.

I have 2 of them engraved in that spot.

Check this guy out. Hes my favorite, fast and VERY good at what he does

http://www.orion-arms.com/

SteveL
06-06-12, 21:11
Would your engraving fit inside one of the squares in the ribbed area?

Trunkmonkey4
06-06-12, 21:27
Give the guys at Ident a call. They tend to be more 'custom' than orion. You also do not have to strip your lower down. (if you were starting with a built one)

Pax
06-07-12, 02:51
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I may have room on the right, may not. If the lines are broken up, yes I could fit them inside the ribs as well. I suppose these may really be questions for an engraver, Ill just have to ask them how small they can go while remaining legible.

usmcvet
06-09-12, 16:03
I did the front of the magazine well and did not need to strip my lower just removed the stock.

justlikeanyoneelse
06-10-12, 01:07
Hi what you want to do is exactly what I did with my SBR. When AXTS did preorders of their first AX556 run I managed to get #33, soon after I had it SBR'ed and mated to a genuine 416 upper...it is my greatest possession :D

I had my S/N, trust name, and location engraved on the left standard bolt release side, on the long bare space between the bolt catch and front pivot pin. I wouldn't worry about legibility as mine is perfect, I can post a pic if needed. I chose this location because it was the best place imho. (Indent did the engraving)

kobyashi
07-08-12, 01:14
The Guys At Ident Marking Put it on The Left side on the flat area below the S/N

Hmac
07-08-12, 05:19
I had my S/N, trust name, and location engraved on the left standard bolt release side, on the long bare space between the bolt catch and front pivot pin.

Why did you engrave a serial number? Didn't your receiver already have one?

NoveskeFan
07-08-12, 06:11
The Guys At Ident Marking Put it on The Left side on the flat area below the S/N

I have one on order and was thinking of the same spot.
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12770&d=1341727930

justlikeanyoneelse
07-08-12, 20:50
The original S/N was 0033, I just wanted my personal S/N on it.

Haha that's the spot I asked the guys at Ident to do mine, its the perfect place.

Why did you engrave a serial number? Didn't your receiver already have one?

RCO'B
07-15-12, 15:49
Orion Arms engraved my under the trigger guard. Only problem is for them to do it that way, you have to ship the lower to them stripped.

tepin
07-17-12, 08:40
I had the name of my trust, city and state engraved on the right upper part of the receiver above the pin that holds the hammer in-place and I had my NRA life member number engraved under the trigger well.

Joerenew
07-17-12, 13:08
I have the same Lower with marking in that location and it looks great.

I have one on order and was thinking of the same spot.
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12770&d=1341727930

PatrioticDisorder
09-13-14, 21:07
Anyone with an AX556 have the bottom of the trigger guard engraved?

Blinking Dog
09-15-14, 10:58
I don't have that exact lower, but I did engrave a billet lower. Ident engraved trust name, etc., on bottom of trigger guard.