PDA

View Full Version : RRA lowers on gunbroker

bluecanary
06-06-12, 21:50
Beside, not being Colt, DD, etc... :) Does anyone know why there are so many RRA stripped lowers on Gunbroker.com? they seem new and still stripped. Bad batch? I maybe in need a new lower, and my Dept has a very restrictive list. Thanks.

FChen17213
06-06-12, 22:02
I am also curious as to the quality of a stripped RRA lowers. I know that RRA complete guns aren't viewed very positively here. However, how about a forged lower built up properly? How bad can one screw up a 7075 aluminum lower? Holes in the wrong places?

SMETNA
06-06-12, 22:21
I own two of their rifles. The lowers are fine. It appears they followed the TDP on those at least

devinsdad
06-06-12, 22:46
There is absolutly NOTHING wrong or inferior about an RRA lower. 7075 T-6 Aluminum, correctly drilled, low shelf, small pin...same as evey other lower out there cept maybe for the price. I don't know who forges RRA's lowers, but I'll bet it's the same as a whole lot of other folks. You can pay more, but do you really get more?

Sanpete
06-06-12, 22:50
I have yet to see a newer (last few years) RRA lower that wasn't intentionally tight at the rear takedown pin. I guess they think people want to use a punch and hammer to field strip an AR.

Kain
06-06-12, 23:10
Its not a new lower, but I picked up a RRA lower a few months ago that was new in the sense it had never been build. I used for a build for my BCM upper. Thing is an early manufactured lower, like ~14K serial I believe. And that bitch was tighter than hell, a friend of mine thought that perhaps the finish on the lower was on the thick side because of issues I had getting the front take down pin in. And yes, it is a pain pushing out the take down pins. Upside? Well there ain't no play between the upper and lower. That said I ended up with $200 in it complete without stock so I felt I did good on it. If you can get it priced right I don't see an issue with their lowers, other then being tight and from what I have seen with friends who have RRA rifles, with shooting, and breaking down to clean, then wear in eventually.

SMETNA
06-07-12, 02:32
I have yet to see a newer (last few years) RRA lower that wasn't intentionally tight at the rear takedown pin. I guess they think people want to use a punch and hammer to field strip an AR.

I haven't had this issue or observed it elsewhere.

Melon
06-07-12, 19:10
I have a RRA lower and the take down pins are very very tight. The front can only be pushed with a cleaning rod and a couple firm pushes. The rear has gotten better with time.

I don't perceive this to be a problem for 99.9% of the time.

wahoo95
06-07-12, 19:32
Nothing wrong with their lowers. I don't care for the way they don't machine out the relief areas near the rear take down pin which is what causes the tight lock up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

emt370
06-07-12, 20:43
My agency issues RRA rifles. It's running about 75% needing tools to remove the rear takedown pin, even with wear over time. My issued weapon has plenty of rounds through it as well as plenty of takedowns and there is no way I can open it up without a punch or something. I see this as a definite negative in the event that I need to pop it open for whatever reason in the field. My Colt is very easy to open and while it has some upper/lower play, I couldn't care less as it's a combat weapon.

elnino31
06-08-12, 07:34
I picked a RRA lower from Adco last year and have not noticed any issues. Makes a tight fit to my vltor upper and the take down pins have the perfect amount of tension imo. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

gesundheit
06-08-12, 12:18

I have this exact same problem on my lower but at the lug . How can one fix it? I am wary of scraping some material off around the rear lug fitment area in the lower.