PDA

View Full Version : EOTech won't turn on

sdacbob
06-08-12, 07:19
I was at the range the other day and my 512 wouldn't turn on. I thought maybe the batteries were dead. When I got back home I put in new AA's but still no a no go. I noticed one of the contacts was blackened and one of the rubber bushings and spring in the battery box had come loose. I contacted EOTech's customer support on Tues and yesterday I received the repair kits in the mail for both issues at no cost. Installed this AM and now I'm back is business. Three cheers for EOTech's support team.

hotrodder636
06-08-12, 07:22
Always nice to see when there are companies out there with great CS.

Alaskapopo
06-09-12, 20:17
What is even better than having great customer service is building a product that does not need it. The best warranty is the one you never have to use. (get an Aimpoint)
Pat

sdacbob
06-10-12, 07:37
I have 2 Aimpoints, an H1 and a ML3.

Hmac
06-10-12, 08:33
The older version 512's were known to have those battery contact issues and Eotech is known for its promptness in stepping up to the plate to support them.

Eotech is a good RDS in my experience over several years. I have a couple of Aimpoints too...also a good RDS... but my T-1 has been disappointing from a usability standpoint. I really like the Aimpoint PRO, but the driving force for purchasing it, for me, was its remarkable cost-effectiveness.

Alaskapopo
06-10-12, 09:18
The older version 512's were known to have those battery contact issues and Eotech is known for its promptness in stepping up to the plate to support them.

Eotech is a good RDS in my experience over several years. I have a couple of Aimpoints too...also a good RDS... but my T-1 has been disappointing from a usability standpoint. I really like the Aimpoint PRO, but the driving force for purchasing it, for me, was its remarkable cost-effectiveness.

Funny I have found the T-1's to be the most usable of the Aimpoints.
Full size red dots like the Eotech and Aimpoint Pro are starting to become obsolete because all they offer is more bulk and weight.

Hehuhates
06-10-12, 09:28
It's good to hear Eotech will still fix the older models no fuss.

Personally I like the Eotec's and "larger" Aimpoints better than the micro's. I think there will be a market for them for quite some time to come.

ST911
06-10-12, 10:27
Known problem with those Eotech variants. Eotech is aware, and has gotten a lot of practice at dealing with the claims. If you continue to run the Eotech, check your zero often, keep spare batts around, and have a BUIS system.

I too, prefer the H1/T1 but the larger Aimpoint models aren't going anywhere and still sell out. Look at the popularity of the PRO.

Hehuhates
06-10-12, 11:42
check your zero often, keep spare batts around, and have a BUIS system.

Good advice no matter the optic.

ZoneOne
06-10-12, 12:39
What is even better than having great customer service is building a product that does not need it. The best warranty is the one you never have to use. (get an Aimpoint)
Pat

I've had an Aimpoint both M2 and M4 turn off while firing. Replaced batteries, cleaned out the battery compartment, same thing would occur.

I'd rather have mine never turn on then turn off at the wrong time.

I own both Aimpoint and Eotech and I would recommend both equally. There's no perfect optic out there.

Hmac
06-10-12, 15:18
Funny I have found the T-1's to be the most usable of the Aimpoints.

Yeh. My opinion of the legendary T-1 is one that does stand out here on M4C amidst the gushing enthusiasm that that particular Aimpoint generates. I make no apology....I don't care for it.

Full size red dots like the Eotech and Aimpoint Pro are starting to become obsolete because all they offer is more bulk and weight.

Sorry, I think that's an erroneous opinion. As to bulk and weight, I just cannot grasp that as a big deal. YMMV.

Alaskapopo
06-12-12, 18:20
I've had an Aimpoint both M2 and M4 turn off while firing. Replaced batteries, cleaned out the battery compartment, same thing would occur.

I'd rather have mine never turn on then turn off at the wrong time.

I own both Aimpoint and Eotech and I would recommend both equally. There's no perfect optic out there.

While an Aimpoint problem is possible I guess. They are very rare while problems with Eotechs are common. I have owned several of both types and the Eotechs gave me far more troubles by far. No issues with the AImpoint and 2 Eotechs crap out out of 4 owned.
Pat

Alaskapopo
06-12-12, 18:22
Yeh. My opinion of the legendary T-1 is one that does stand out here on M4C amidst the gushing enthusiasm that that particular Aimpoint generates. I make no apology....I don't care for it.

Sorry, I think that's an erroneous opinion. As to bulk and weight, I just cannot grasp that as a big deal. YMMV.

As to the weight and bulk why carry more weight when you don't have to. As for my opinion being erroneous once more people realize that they can get the same performance in a smaller packadge is a no brainer not to use the full size units. Sure they sill work but why carry around more weight and bulk than needed. If I am going to carry more weight its going to be in the forum of a low power variable scope that can actually do something for me in return for the more bulk and weight. When you actually carry a gun for a living ounces turn into pounds.
Pat

Hmac
06-12-12, 20:18
As to the weight and bulk why carry more weight when you don't have to. As for my opinion being erroneous once more people realize that they can get the same performance in a smaller packadge is a no brainer not to use the full size units. Sure they sill work but why carry around more weight and bulk than needed. If I am going to carry more weight its going to be in the forum of a low power variable scope that can actually do something for me in return for the more bulk and weight. When you actually carry a gun for a living ounces turn into pounds.
Pat

Maybe I misinterpreted. I wasn't under the impression that the OP carried a gun for a living. Even so, your point would be valid only if all people felt the same way you do that the weight of a T-1 outweighed its disadvantages in their particular use for their particular needs. I'll bet the majority of people these days buying RDS don't carry a gun for a living. One reason to carry the weight of a PRO or EXP Eotech would be if people prefer that size tube to the 20mm tube of the T-1. I see people flocking to the PRO, not the T-1.

halmbarte
06-13-12, 02:19
Maybe I misinterpreted. I wasn't under the impression that the OP carried a gun for a living. Even so, your point would be valid only if all people felt the same way you do that the weight of a T-1 outweighed its disadvantages in their particular use for their particular needs. I'll bet the majority of people these days buying RDS don't carry a gun for a living. One reason to carry the weight of a PRO or EXP Eotech would be if people prefer that size tube to the 20mm tube of the T-1. I see people flocking to the PRO, not the T-1.

Because is the cheapest big boy optic I'd bet.

If Aimpoint sold Micros @ $400 a pop they'd sell a shitload more than they do already.

H

Iraqgunz
06-13-12, 03:37
This and many similar situations happened to us in Iraq in the 07-09 time frame. When I assumed the armory duties 79 or so of the units didn't work. It took me over 6 months to finally get the parts.

The heat makes it worse and from what I could see unless you use new good batteries (Duracell preferred) then you will have issues.

Another thing I noticed was that if you left the batteries in the unit, w/o removing and lossening them on occasion then the batteries would constantly stick to the contacts/rubber and eventually when you changed batteries they would come loose.

I would nver consider a 512/552 or probably any other model for serious use. I know for a fact when the 553 was adopted they had issues with them as well.

Aimpoint is the way to go for red dot sights.

I was at the range the other day and my 512 wouldn't turn on. I thought maybe the batteries were dead. When I got back home I put in new AA's but still no a no go. I noticed one of the contacts was blackened and one of the rubber bushings and spring in the battery box had come loose. I contacted EOTech's customer support on Tues and yesterday I received the repair kits in the mail for both issues at no cost. Installed this AM and now I'm back is business. Three cheers for EOTech's support team.

Hmac
06-13-12, 08:09
Because is the cheapest big boy optic I'd bet.

H

Whatever the reason, I am only disagreeing with his statement that "Full size red dots like the Eotech and Aimpoint Pro are starting to become obsolete." I don't see that and I doubt that it's happening.

Clem
06-13-12, 13:24
Nevermind, dumb question removed.

nickdrak
06-13-12, 13:56
The "Impossible" happened at the 2-day Advance Carbine I hosted here last month....

An Aimpoint died during the class!

JBecker 72
06-13-12, 16:54
Sometimes shit breaks, good to know they took care of it quick.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Alaskapopo
06-13-12, 17:24
Whatever the reason, I am only disagreeing with his statement that "Full size red dots like the Eotech and Aimpoint Pro are starting to become obsolete." I don't see that and I doubt that it's happening.

Your entitled to your opinion but the simple fact is technology has made it possible for us to get the same performance in a smaller more compact package. There is simply no reason to use the larger heavier models anymore. More and more people are starting to see that. The popularity of the Aimpoint Pro is based on price point alone.
Pat

WARPIG [USMC]
06-13-12, 17:47
Not to continue to stray this post off track, but I'm in the boat of people who purchased the PRO because of the price point. If the T-1 was the same price, I would have considered it. While I don't carry a gun anymore for a living, when I did, it wasn't a light weight rifle (M16/M203), so the little bit of extra bulk really doesn't bother me at all. My current build isn't light either (16" barrel with a DD 12" quad rail), but I suck it up because it's still not that difficult to toss around and manipulate.

ST911
06-13-12, 20:33
The "Impossible" happened at the 2-day Advance Carbine I hosted here last month....

An Aimpoint died during the class!

I had one die on me earlier this spring, and have seen a few more than that. Use stuff enough, it breaks. What separates the men from the boys is what you have to do to make it die.

ST911
06-13-12, 20:39
For those inclined to obsess about weight...

Gather a sample of shooters and blindfold them.
Assemble two carbines, one with an M2/3 or 4 and the other with a Micro, but otherwise identical.
See how many can tell you which is which. (Hint: Most will not.)

Ounces add up to pounds and all that, but there are other criteria as well. The entirety of shooter needs and balance of variables should decide.

Alaskapopo
06-13-12, 20:43
For those inclined to obsess about weight...

Gather a sample of shooters and blindfold them.
Assemble two carbines, one with an M2/3 or 4 and the other with a Micro, but otherwise identical.
See how many can tell you which is which. (Hint: Most will not.)

Ounces add up to pounds and all that, but there are other criteria as well. The entirety of shooter needs and balance of variables should decide.

I am not obsessed so much with weight but rather why carry more when you don't need to. Personally I like a low power variable scope that weighs more than a full size Aimpoint or Eotech but for that weight I get something in return. With a full size red dot alone vs a compact red dot there is no real advantage to the larger unit and some cons.
Pat

Hmac
06-13-12, 20:54
Your entitled to your opinion...

Thank you.

Glad the T-1 works well for you. My experience is different.