PDA

View Full Version : Rookie wants to hog hunt

rocsteady
06-08-12, 08:54
Looking for recommendations on setting up a hunt for myself and a friend or two.

As an LEO I have a good bit of trigger time but am interested in getting out and seeing how things perform on the hogs (me, the BCM, 50g TSX rounds).

Would much rather act on recommendations from M4C'ers than from a random outfitting company.

Thanks for any input.

Dave

Doc Safari
06-08-12, 09:14
I can't link to any specific threads because I've been reading up on this issue at several forums, not just this one.

The hogs are just in the process of reaching my area so unfortunately the only first hand experience I have is watching Pigman: The Series. :D

Having said that, among forums, TV shows, and whatnot I've come up with a universe of ammo recommendations that should be readily available: Hornady 75gr TAP 5.56, Federal Fusion 64gr, Gold Dot 62gr, and now Federal Mk318.

That last round is the only one I didn't "shop" for, so YMMV.

DocGKR recommended several rounds that are very hard to find, at least in my experience. The ones I've listed I actually found for sale at various outlets.

Wiggity
06-08-12, 10:35
OP-

Shot placement is everything when hunting hogs. Body shots on these critters, especially the big ones, tend to drop quicker when using premium hunting ammo as listed above.

However, CNS shots do not require premium ammo. A shot behind the ear or a spinal neck shot with PMC is just as effective as a shot with 77gr black hills ammo.

rocsteady
06-08-12, 11:28
Okay, will do.

From the little that I've read, it sounds like Texans are having a real issue with the things becoming pests. Not so much here in Staten Island so airfare is going to have to be factored into the budget to make it happen.

Hot Holster
06-08-12, 13:39
In Florida, I have personally hunted here, and know of a group that goes there at least twice a year:http://www.hogheavenpreserve.com/

This place is total class from the owners (husband/wife), the dinner for overnight hunters, the staff, and the property hunted. There have been times when not everyone gets a hog but it isn't for not trying.

Your hogs will be cleaned and quartered. You tip your guide who does your hog. I happened to get two with one shot so I tipped both my guide, and another guide who cleaned my second hog.

They can also arrange for processing if you want.

No hunting license is needed, calibers must be .243 or larger, bow hunting is allowed. (They also have guns they'll let you use if you don't want to travel with one, or you don't have one).

The cabin used for overnight stays: 1st floor bunkbeds, a shower, and a sitting room. 2nd floor a bit rustic with a mixture of foldout beds and regular beds, comfortable but not your local Marriott. By time you finish dinner, and you get your gear set up for REAL early the next morning, you'll be in bed and asleep so they won't make a bit of difference.

If you want additional info, send a PM.

Stephen O
06-21-12, 13:37
Several great rounds have been mentioned here. The Winchester Razorback XT is made for hogs of course and we've done well with DRT Ammo too. One of our guys was just varmint hunting in Eastern OR in an area that supposedly doesn't have any hogs and took two of them with 50 grain Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips at close range, proving once again that shot placement is the single most important factor.

usmcvet
06-23-12, 10:46
I am interested in my first hog hunt too. Thanks for the info.

Esq.
07-05-12, 09:44
Honestly we don't use anything too exotic to kill hogs in terms of ammo. The round I use most often is probably the old Winchester 64 Grain Power Point. It simply works and is pretty easy to find at a reasonable price. We kill about 50-60 hogs a year and have for about a decade now, I have a pretty good idea of what works.

nineteenkilo
07-06-12, 10:16
I've never thought it all that difficult to drop hogs. Any 5.56 round for a CNS shot is fine. I frequently use the old thutty-thutty with cor-lokts for hogs. Hell, if you hunt with dogs just use a knife. :D

Stephen O
07-10-12, 19:56
Nice one Nineteenkilo!

CRAMBONE
07-10-12, 20:36
Hell, if you hunt with dogs just use a knife. :D

I was gonna say that too. Buy some dogs that are already trained, curs for baying and pits for catching. And a good sharp knife.

ryan
07-10-12, 20:45
http://www.bayedsolid.com/

Dr.Venkman
07-24-12, 22:28
I've got my first feral hog hunt coming up in December and am very excited to go but a little worried that unless I get a CNS shot I'm not going to kill the pig so I will be bringing my 30-06 too. any other suggestions other than Black hills 77 grain 556.

rocsteady
08-03-12, 10:15
I've got my first feral hog hunt coming up in December and am very excited to go but a little worried that unless I get a CNS shot I'm not going to kill the pig so I will be bringing my 30-06 too. any other suggestions other than Black hills 77 grain 556.

Have seen many have success with 70 grain Barnes TSX rounds either handloaded or from ASYM (.223) or Silver State Armory (5.56). Hogs 400 lbs+ taken with them, although as with any live target, shot placement is important.

See some of SkyPup's results he's posted about.