PDA

View Full Version : How long till you need a whole new rifle?

BoringGuy45
06-08-12, 11:27
This is hypothetical, as I am not in the military or LE (yet) and I don't have enough money to take a lot of training classes (again...yet). Just, hypothetically, how long on average, with a good AR lower receiver frame, can you expect the rifle to last (either by round count or years), with proper maintenance and storage, before the frame cracks or wears to the point that no amount of parts replacements will render it safely usable?

nabO
06-08-12, 11:50
Probably no way to give you a definitive answer for this question. There's too many variables to consider but the barrel will be shot out long before the upper or lower receivers wear out.

There are old M-16's left over in Vietnam that still function with who knows how many rounds through them and little maintanence.

I'm sure someone around here can give you an "average" life span of certain components though.

I recommend buying a quality brand along with some spare parts and don't worry about it.

Javelin
06-08-12, 12:52
There are only a few parts in the AR that have friction and wear.

Bolt carrier group
Buffer spring
Barrel

The rest of the parts on the gun (including the trigger assembly) seem to last literally forever. Like previously stated, there are kids in military training right now shooting M16s that their grandfathers carried in Vietnam.

Wiggity
06-08-12, 12:53
I'm guessing millions

Doc Safari
06-08-12, 13:13
How long till you need a whole new rifle?

I will need one as soon as I've got a thousand bucks in the bank.

WOOT!

Seriously, though, I would think that wear and tear is less of a concern than abuse. If you regularly bang the gun into parts of vehicles, fall on it, drop it, have it take punishment intended for you on the two-way range, and whatnot, then it will obviously not last as long as one that is simply shot a lot.

I would imagine that as long as the takedown pin holes and FCG holes on the lower are not "egged out" and the lower hasn't developed a crack or some other catastrophic damage, then the weapon should remain repairable.

The beauty of the AR is that it was designed to be put together in replaceable bits and pieces. As long as the serial numbered part is good (the lower) then the rest is expendable.

Have a top tier rifle and some top tier spare parts (maybe even a complete spare upper), and don't sweat it.

MistWolf
06-08-12, 13:37
I saw a picture of an upper someone had gotten for a retro build that had so many rounds through it, about a fourth of the shell deflector was worn away. As long as you stay away from the current crop of polymer lowers, the receivers will last you a very long time even with a heavy firing schedule

Iraqgunz
06-08-12, 19:36
Anything that is a spring can be expected to wear. Whether it be trigger/hammer spring, buffer spring or a detent spring. In any case if you do proper maintenance, keep it lubed up and periodically inspect the weapon then you should have no issues.

As it has been pointed out there are weapons in service that have been in use 10-30 years and they are still performing.

Eurodriver
06-08-12, 19:57
I've personally seen 25 year old M16A2s get thrown down flights of stairs; that were so worn the finish on them was non existent and had to be scrubbed oiled daily with a donkey dick in order to prevent rust; and they still qualified at 500 yards.

How many Garands are still functioning? A rifle can outlast its owner if its maintained.

...and this is why I laugh when people question the accuracy potential of their mint condition - optic wearing AR15s.

mkmckinley
06-09-12, 10:25
I've seen a Army issued Mk-12 made out of an old lower stamped "XM 16 E1". Notsure how old the lower is or how many rounds through it but I thought that was pretty amazing.