PDA

View Full Version : Potential weight savings of using a TRX tube.

SoDak
06-08-12, 13:44
I've been toying with the idea of trying to make a lightweight, yet functional AR (i.e. not sacrificing useful capabilities to keep weight down). Part of that plan was to use a lightweight barrel with carbine gas, shave the fsb and put on a 9 inch TRX Alpha. Part of the reason was for the added benefits of a free float tube, but most of it was the hopes of cutting some of the weight down (since most of the fsb would be removed). However given the intended use of the gun, I'm wondering if the weight savings would be all the significant and the money for a free float tube might be better used elsewhere. Anybody care to weigh in on what might be the better route?

SomeOtherGuy
06-08-12, 14:35
This chart will let you compare weights of different options:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html

I assume that the Alpha weighs about the same as the TRX Extreme at a given length, but I don't know that for certain and have not seen published weights for the Alpha.

The standard FSB weighs quite a bit (4.7oz) as you noted, while a low profile or shaved gas block can be under 2 oz. Between an Alpha rail and a shaved or low profile gas block you can save a meaningful amount of weight, much of it farther toward the muzzle where it affects balance noticeably.

wahoo95
06-08-12, 15:03
Take a serious look at the new MI Gen2 Free Float handguards as they are very lightweight.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

SoDak
06-11-12, 23:16
I think I'm going to go with an 11" rail. One quick question will an 11" rail cover a shaved fsb on a midlength gas system?

wahoo95
06-11-12, 23:17
I think I'm going to go with an 11" rail. One quick question will an 11" rail cover a shaved fsb on a midlength gas system?

Yes

You will save more weight with a MI Gen2 12"

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

SoDak
06-12-12, 00:09
I ended up going with the Alpha for a couple reasons. PSA has them on sale, I can use the stock barrel nut, and at the last minute I kind of changed my mind on what I wanted to build and ended up getting a BCM 16" SS410 upper, so weight isn't as big of an issue.

mig1nc
06-12-12, 06:39
This chart will let you compare weights of different options:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html

I assume that the Alpha weighs about the same as the TRX Extreme at a given length, but I don't know that for certain and have not seen published weights for the Alpha.

The standard FSB weighs quite a bit (4.7oz) as you noted, while a low profile or shaved gas block can be under 2 oz. Between an Alpha rail and a shaved or low profile gas block you can save a meaningful amount of weight, much of it farther toward the muzzle where it affects balance noticeably.

Great choice SoDak.

Man, I am somewhat surprised to see that they already have added the Noveske NSR rail to ye grand ole spreadsheet.

The longest one is even lighter than my 13" VTAC TRX, which is already super light. Which, BTW, is on a BCM lightweight profile middy. That combination is just magic for a light and handy rifle.