PDA

View Full Version : Refreshing Glock Grip Texture

ST911
06-08-12, 14:09
(Reviewed several threads on checkering/stippling prior to posting.)

I have several Glock frames with side panels and front/back straps that have smoothed out quite a bit after years of service. I want to restore some resistant surfacing to them, but do NOT want to do one of the soldering iron stipple jobs that are en vogue now. Just restore some rough to the pebbling on the side, and restore some of the sharp edges to the frontstrap and backstrap checkering.

If you have undertaken a similar effort, I would appreciate your experience and advice. Thanks.

okie john
06-08-12, 14:33
A light pass with a wood rasp should give you all the texture you need.

Okie John

LightningFast
06-08-12, 14:37
Have you considered just going the grip tape route?

ST911
06-08-12, 15:33
Have you considered just going the grip tape route?

No, no adhesives, add-ons, or sleeves are desired. Just a touch up (rough up).

RagweedZulu
06-08-12, 15:45
No, no adhesives, add-ons, or sleeves are desired. Just a touch up (rough up).

Jeez. Tough customer. :big_boss:

Just tape off the areas you DON'T want textured, then use a light sand paper on the parts you do. Without getting into stippling and noting your dislike of add-ons, this is about your only route.

JHC
06-08-12, 17:33
A light pass with a wood rasp should give you all the texture you need.

Okie John

That sounds just about crude enough for me to figure out. I love RTF2 so I use a lot of deck tape on other Gen 3s. Hmmmm.

okie john
06-08-12, 17:38
That sounds just about crude enough for me to figure out. I love RTF2 so I use a lot of deck tape on other Gen 3s. Hmmmm.

Go after a baseplate first.

Okie John

grantoga
06-08-12, 22:40
Here's another option for you: get some med grit sandpaper (100-120 grit), place it over the grip area you want to add a little texture to, and repeatedly tap the back of the sandpaper with a piece of wood (hickory hammer handle or something like that). As stated earlier, try it on a mag base plate to get the feel for the amount of force you need to get the desired effect.

JML2321
06-09-12, 12:10
This is interesting because I have a 1994 G21 that has a very slick and smooth grip compared to my new G19. I just thought it was different polymer makeup or something. It is extremely slick and shiny right where the web of your hand is and under the trigger guard. Very well used.

TOM1911
06-09-12, 16:10
Zev Technologies does a silicon carbide coating on the polymer frame that looks like it's very durable.... It's actually fused to the polymer and extremely resilient. @ www.glockworx.com