PDA

View Full Version : TROY mrf-9 OR MI gen 2 two piece free float rail

Lockup1109
06-08-12, 15:08
Hey fellas. Got a question. I am contemplating ordering eitherthe troy 9" mrf free float rail OR the midwest ind. gen 2 two piece ff rail.
Trying to find feedback first hand of people who have both of these rails. Also if you do have either one how sturdy are they ( any rotation) and are they comparitively made to each other ie: weight material finish ect....
Thanks for any input
-jeremy
Ps. Dont include the DD omega its not what im looking for i want a monolithic look and my 14.7" PSA upper already has a pinned BC on it and i dont wamt to chop off the FSB

gunfighter48
06-08-12, 15:32
I just put a MI 2 piece free float hand guard on my AR Tuesday. Installation requires cutting the delta ring, spring pact, and spring clip off the barrel nut. Super easy to do with a dremel tool and cutting disk. Took me all of 10 minutes to cut and remove all three. There is a YouTube video on how to do it.

Then put the two halves together and tighten 6 allenhead screws. There are two anti-rotation tabs on the bottom half of the rail assembly that fit along side of the receiver. Once the hand guards are tightened down there is NO movement of the hand guard. Very high quality assembly, I highly recommend it.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/gunfighter48/MIRail1-1.jpg

Lockup1109
06-08-12, 15:41
Gunfighter,
Thanks for the post and the pic! Very much what i wanted to hear that seems pretty simple to install. The rail looks real clean too on ur gun (no gaps) i camt stand gaps between rails and uppers lol.
Thansl

cbr
06-08-12, 16:31
I have a Troy MRF free float and it is very solid. If I was buying again I would buy the Centurion C4 as it is lighter. No experience with the MI.

g-men10455
06-08-12, 16:42
A friend of mine has the Centerion on his upper it's very light & well built. Also very pricey.

gunfighter48
06-08-12, 21:39
Gunfighter,
Thanks for the post and the pic! Very much what i wanted to hear that seems pretty simple to install. The rail looks real clean too on ur gun (no gaps) i camt stand gaps between rails and uppers lol.
Thansl

The top matches exactly with the upper, looks like a monolithic upper. And you are correct there are no gaps anywhere, very precise fit on my S&W 15 Sport AR. An added benefit is the built-in QD limited rotation swivel sockets, they work great with my sling and swivels. I didn't need to buy more parts to add to a rail system. While they are $180.00 that's a lot more affordable than many other rails I looked at.