PDA

View Full Version : Colt for NY - Expertise needed :P

mikelowrey
06-08-12, 17:08
Alright guys, First of all I just want to say I did a search but didn't find anything specifically for this but here I go.

I just saw the Colt 6921 on sale and wanted to get it, but the website is telling me it cannot sell it to me because I'm in NY and the rifle is 14.5,

I need your expertise to whoever lives in NY and can point me in the right direction. I am a LEO and as far as I know as long as you dont reside in NYC, you are GTG. This is for my personal use, not work.

Thank you.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-08-12, 17:21
Alright guys, First of all I just want to say I did a search but didn't find anything specifically for this but here I go.

I just saw the Colt 6921 on sale and wanted to get it, but the website is telling me it cannot sell it to me because I'm in NY and the rifle is 14.5,

I need your expertise to whoever lives in NY and can point me in the right direction. I am a LEO and as far as I know as long as you dont reside in NYC, you are GTG. This is for my personal use, not work.

Thank you.

If your LEO you can have anything you want. Dont buy from colt directly, dont even worry about what there site says. Get your rifle from Grant at G&R tactical. 14.5 is NFA weapon and not even cops in ny can get that. You can have a 14.5" barrel but you need to have a muzzle devise on it thats at least 1.5" long. Lots of guys make them, I have a A2 stlye on mine. Its also a good idea to have the muzzle break pinned and welded in place. You can do it your self if your mechanicaly inclined. Grant can handle all this as well just call him and tell him what you want and it will show up at your FFL.

Where do you live

Jon

mikelowrey
06-08-12, 17:28
Thx for the quick reply.

Does having it pinned and welded is a good or bad things? but it make things differently? What about your baby, can you post a pic?

I think Imma go with grant after all. I live in Orange County, NY and about the FFL, I just get anyone?

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-08-12, 17:43
Thx for the quick reply.

Does having it pinned and welded is a good or bad things? but it make things differently? What about your baby, can you post a pic?

I think Imma go with grant after all. I live in Orange County, NY and about the FFL, I just get anyone?

Oh your way down state from me. On the FFL you can use who ever you like. When you speek to Grant maybe he has used an FFL down your way he could recomend to you. Otherwise just use who ever you usaly buy a gun from. If they wont do it find someone else.

Having it pinned and welded is a safe bet for anyone, LE or not you would not want to be found in violation of federal firearms law. I have a lot of friends who just say **** it (10" barrels) but we have to be better than them in our choices. As far as pinning and welding make sure you think out your build as it will make it very difficult (not impossable) to change the handgrards to a free float one after the welding is done.

Jon

mikelowrey
06-08-12, 17:50
My M4 I want it in one way. As soon as I have it the way I want it. I wont be making any future modifications. I just want a regular M4 similar to this http://home.comcast.net/~shooter2_indy/graphics/m4_right.jpg

Where I can add a vertical Tango grip with a light attachment with pressure pads. and later on I put on some nice sights. I just need to find the good rails to put on...

Gabe.

hotrodder636
06-08-12, 18:02
For a good, quality rail, look at the Daniel Defense Omega 7 rail. It is drop in, takes 5 minutes maybe to put in. I personally like how slim it is as I don't have monster hands. Plus it is Daniel Defense, and though I am no expert, I would say they are GTG.

mikelowrey
06-08-12, 18:07
For a good, quality rail, look at the Daniel Defense Omega 7 rail. It is drop in, takes 5 minutes maybe to put in. I personally like how slim it is as I don't have monster hands. Plus it is Daniel Defense, and though I am no expert, I would say they are GTG.

That looks really nice! is that price rails usually go for? That one is going to the list. :) What about LaRue?

jpmuscle
06-08-12, 22:12
If your LEO you can have anything you want. Dont buy from colt directly, dont even worry about what there site says. Get your rifle from Grant at G&R tactical. 14.5 is NFA weapon and not even cops in ny can get that. You can have a 14.5" barrel but you need to have a muzzle devise on it thats at least 1.5" long. Lots of guys make them, I have a A2 stlye on mine. Its also a good idea to have the muzzle break pinned and welded in place. You can do it your self if your mechanicaly inclined. Grant can handle all this as well just call him and tell him what you want and it will show up at your FFL.

Where do you live

Jon

Also as an fyi flash hiders are no go in NYS. Comps only and they have to be pinned even @ 16 plus inches.

Tzook
06-08-12, 22:37
Take a look at battle comp, they will rock your world.

Hehuhates
06-09-12, 00:15
Also as an fyi flash hiders are no go in NYS. Comps only and they have to be pinned even @ 16 plus inches.

Not so for LEO's. They can have unpinned flash hiders/brakes on 16" barrels.

Twisted10
06-09-12, 10:20
LEO's are GTG on whatever they want in an AR. You just have to follow any Federal laws, not NYS laws.

:)

Lockup1109
06-09-12, 19:16
Mike im also a LEO in NY. Southampton town on long island. You can buy the colt..... BUT you MUST PIN AND WELD on the muzzle device to meet the minimum 16" oal for the barrel federally! Dont buy a 14.5" unpinned and throw it on a lower because its a violation of FEDERAL law and not only could you loose your job but you may wind up with bubba in cell block 13 lol.

My advice is to buy the upper first and then pin and weld your choice of muzzle devices and then buy a lower seperately. I just did the same thing but with a PSA 14.7" upper pinned on a bc 1.0. And im good to go.
REMEMBER when you retire you may no longer posses post ban configured weapons OR mags. So to be safe set it up so it will be able to be legal after you retire. Dunno how long youve been in LE or when u plan on retiring but just throwing some knowledge and advice your way brother. BE SAFE!
- Jeremy

kest_01
06-09-12, 20:11
Can someone point me to any written legislation that says that LEOs don't have to follow NY gun laws or is it just aperk of the job, also anyone know why this doesn't also apply to AD military?

Iraqgunz
06-09-12, 20:50
Quite simply because the military issues weapons to Soldiers. Many states have exemptions written in to their laws that exempt LEO's.

As an active duty member of the military you have nothing to do with the the city, state or municipalities of New York. Hopefully my non-lawyer ass explained it well.

Can someone point me to any written legislation that says that LEOs don't have to follow NY gun laws or is it just aperk of the job, also anyone know why this doesn't also apply to AD military?

jpmuscle
06-09-12, 20:53
Not so for LEO's. They can have unpinned flash hiders/brakes on 16" barrels.

obviously, as is everything else but my comment excluded LEOs.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-09-12, 21:04

It sucks I know, its just a perk of the job is all. If they quit loose there job or retire it no longer applys.

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.htm#p265.20

kest_01
06-09-12, 21:33
I'm not hating at all, just wish I didn't have to **** up one of my guns because I'm here. Oh well, cost of playing the game I guess.

Psalms144.1
07-25-12, 11:52
Just wondering, since I just got 30-day orders to move to LI, NY - as a Federal Agent (GS1811) with title 10 arrest authority, do I count as a "Police Officer" under NY statutes?

CAVDOC
07-25-12, 12:55
just in case you keep your carbine until you change jobs or retire, it make more sense to have one that complies with NY civilian law or can be easily adapted to it. Get a 16" barrel carbine with a regular flash supressor for now. No 14.5. This is perfectly legal for LEO's in NY. if you get out of LE or retire, you swap out the flash supressor for a compensator that is permanently attached (ie pinned and welded) pin you stock so it doesn't move, and cut off the bayonet lug.

GTifosi
07-25-12, 14:19
Or just forgo all that and escape the damn state when you're done.

SMETNA
07-26-12, 00:28
Just wondering, since I just got 30-day orders to move to LI, NY - as a Federal Agent (GS1811) with title 10 arrest authority, do I count as a "Police Officer" under NY statutes?

Does your jurisdiction include NYS? Then you're alright.

Or just forgo all that and escape the damn state when you're done.

^ This. Great advice. To hell with the empire state.

mikelowrey
07-27-12, 02:27
Does your jurisdiction include NYS? Then you're alright.

^ This. Great advice. To hell with the empire state.

+1 HAHAHA!

mikelowrey
07-27-12, 04:00
OK, now the question is...

What about BCM?? I was reading a post dated back to 2009 where the post was a war zone between COLT and BCM, damn even Paul from BCM and Grant were answering in there (which is nice to see).

What would be your opinion now about it??

Price is really good btw.

G-lock
07-27-12, 07:55
You can't go wrong with BCM, fantastic product and the best CS in the biz.

Ramone
07-27-12, 10:54
I am not LEO, but I lived most of my life in NYS-

IIRC, you need a note from your higher ups saying that the rifle is OK.

a local NYS FFL might be unsure about the specific rules, But I know that there some that are the 'local LEO FFL's- ask around your dept.

Deputy Dan
07-27-12, 15:22
Psalms

You are considered a Peace Officer under NYS Penal Law... I started with NYPD and went to the Feds when I got my mind right... and got out of NY as fast as my feet would carry me.

I'm an 1811 as well... you might as well buy a rifle on letter head as an individual officer purchase and have it shipped to your office, if your supervision will sign off on it.

If you all want to have some entertaining reading, do a google search on Nassau County DA Kathleen Rice and the stunt she pulled arresting almost all of the gunshop owners in Nassau County NY back in February 2011. They were charged with modifying ARs to be NYS compliant...Her contention is that there are no lawful ARs, and that modifying an AR to be ban compliant was an unlawful Defacement.

The main target of her investigation beat the charges, but it must have cost plenty.

aguila327
07-27-12, 15:47
FYI: If you do order it, Master Arms in Sloatsburg, NY on Rt. 17 is a reputable FFL, and EX-NYPD so he's good guy to deal with.

Heck, you can even stop by, he usually has a Colt or two in stock amongst some other good AR's

Psalms144.1
07-27-12, 19:36
Dan - thanks, perusing the Penal Code for the State was just giving me headaches.

I grew up in NY (on LI), so I'm "going home," but if I'd gotten orders to Dallas, or just about anywhere else besides HI, I'd be a lot happier...

Unfortunately, my agency is very "down" on CONUS-CONUS moves, so I'll probably have to ride out my last 9 years to mandatory up there; or take a move OCONUS to escape.

Regards,

Kevin

Safetyhit
07-27-12, 21:35
My M4 I want it in one way. As soon as I have it the way I want it. I wont be making any future modifications. I just want a regular M4 similar to this http://home.comcast.net/~shooter2_indy/graphics/m4_right.jpg

Where I can add a vertical Tango grip with a light attachment with pressure pads. and later on I put on some nice sights. I just need to find the good rails to put on...

Gabe.

Are we to understand that this rather difficult to decipher post was actually written by a police officer?

07-27-12, 21:47
Are we to understand that this rather difficult to decipher post was actually written by a police officer?

It depends. 'Police officer' or 'NYPD police officer'?

ETA: the answer actually depends, IME. I'm not trying to be a dick.

mikelowrey
07-27-12, 21:54

It was typed very quick from my smartphone and English is my second language. :p

aguila327
07-27-12, 22:36
You ain't seen nuthin until you have read some police reports:D

Safetyhit
07-27-12, 22:55
It depends. 'Police officer' or 'NYPD police officer'?

ETA: the answer actually depends, IME. I'm not trying to be a dick.

Don't see you as being a dick at all, however one's jurisdiction should have little to do with their ability to communicate effectively at a basic level, especially as a police officer. And in response to our friend Gabe's last comment, I am posting from my phone as well.