PDA

View Full Version : HELP! New 14.7" PSA upper mags will not seat...?!?! Wtf

Lockup1109
06-08-12, 21:22
Alright. Came home to a psa upper ive been waiting for which my fiancé signed for.DISCLAIMER NOT BASHING PSA. But this is the deal...
My brand new upper will not allow any of my usgi mags seat without physically pushing HARD on the bottom of the mag and the top rail of the rifle. Ive tried three DIFFERENT lowers all function fine w my other psa uppers and my s&w upper to no avail the mags are wayyyyyyyyyyyy too tight so much so that when i chamber a round and eject it the next round flys up out from the mag on a 45-60 degree angle with a 50% failure to feed rate dry cycling the gun. I polished the mag cutout on the inside of the upper with a dremel polishing wheel and that did help a TINY bit but i dont want to strip the metal down bare. IS MY UPPER OUT OF SPEC?? And should i send it back or polish it down some more with a brass wire wheel??
Id appreciate some help here. I was really looking foward to going out sunday to shoot this upper and im confident it wont reliably cycle...
Thanks
Jeremy

J-Dub
06-08-12, 21:44
This will probably be locked, because you should call the company and explain the problem.

If you want them to replace it, you probably shouldnt take a grinder/wire wheel to it either...

BCmJUnKie
06-08-12, 21:45
First off....did you contact the manufacturer FIRST. Forum rules.

Second, how many rounds are in the mags and is the bolt open or closed.

This is why I go with BCM. I like my weapons in spec.

Do you have a caliper you can get some measurements.

Honestly what do you expect from a $50 upper

a0cake
06-08-12, 21:53
Yeah...so go ahead and stop hitting the upper with the Dremel. Just get a hold of PSA and go from there.

SW-Shooter
06-08-12, 22:08
First off....did you contact the manufacturer FIRST. Forum rules.

Second, how many rounds are in the mags and is the bolt open or closed.

This is why I go with BCM. I like my weapons in spec.

Do you have a caliper you can get some measurements.

Honestly what do you expect from a $50 upper

We'll just keep the batch of out of spec BCM uppers out of this discussion then.

a0cake
06-08-12, 22:13
There is not one single manufacturer out there that hasn't had a bad batch of something, or had a few things slip past QC. What matters is how often it happens and what they do about it. Ever seen a brand new Colt M4 break a bolt in a few hundred rounds or fail a function test? I have. It happens.

Are we really going to have to hear this "well remember when XYZ did this" for 5 years or something, long after the problem has been identified and resolved, and is now meaningless? And all of the sudden it's part of the internet record, and gets regurgitated by people 5 years from now who have no idea where it even started. That's how this shit works, if you keep propagating and talking about one event, it gets codified into the permanent record that "BCM is known for out of spec uppers" or some-such nonsense. It's bullshit.

Lockup1109
06-08-12, 22:30
Yes i contacted them they havnt gotten back to me yet. And thanks for all the bullshit responses im not bashing psa i own three complete psa rifles. None have any issues what so ever. I was looking for advice on what i could do to remedy the problem dont really want to go thru the hassle of sending the upper back and waiting another 3 weeks for a replacement. To me it seems the mag well cutout on the UPPER not the lower isnt quite deep enough and its not letting the mag go all the way in to place. You can see the dimple marks created by the mag on the inside of the upper reciever right below the bcg. The mags wont seat without force loaded or unloaded bolt open.
If people are gona start turing this into a pissing contest of bcm vs psa just save yourselves a minute of ur lives and dont reply. Thanks!

Iraqgunz
06-09-12, 01:49
Everybody take a deep ****ing breath and relax. The OP is prefectly within his rights to seek some assistance. I wouldn't necessarily categorize this issue as one that needs to be addressed first by them.

OP,

Since you have other PSA AR's have you attempted to isolate the issue by simply swapping other uppers around and seeing if the issue persists? If it does then I would say it is a good indication that something is wrong. Does it happen when they are loaded? How many rounds in the mag? What about unloaded?

BCmJUnKie
06-09-12, 02:02
OP,
Does it happen when they are loaded? How many rounds in the mag? What about unloaded?

These are questions I asked also....

People wanna focus on the negative points of what I said

GeorgiaBoy
06-09-12, 03:00
These are questions I asked also....

People wanna focus on the negative points of what I said

Honestly, there were 2 lines in your post that weren't needed and could have been left out. That's why.

wahoo95
06-09-12, 06:56
Have you actually fired the new upper? Sounds like you had issues while dry firing/cycling which isn't always a good indicator of things.

With the increased volume all the manufacturers are seeing its no surprise that a few have had some lemons make it out the door. And the problem is not isolated to companies like PSA......the issues with out of spec upper receivers which PSA and BCM both shared should make that clear.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

polymorpheous
06-09-12, 07:43
We'll just keep the batch of out of spec BCM uppers out of this discussion then.

Give it a rest dude.

OP, put the Dremel down.
No good will come from this.

I'm assuming the mag won't seat on a closed bolt...
I'm also assuming you've tried multiple mags.

Go out and shoot the upper as planned tomorrow.
Load the mag from an open bolt and see how it cycles.
Dry cycling the weapon is not a good indicator of how it will cycle and feed using live ammo.

You stated that you've tried other uppers on this lower and mags seat fine, correct?
That would rule out the lower receiver.
First I would swap out the BCG and see a mag seats.
If it seats your carrier is out of spec.
If it doesn't you know the upper receiver is out of spec.

Either way, I would be contacting PSA about this.
Just stay away from the Dremel so you don't void the warranty, if you already haven't by now.

Lockup1109
06-09-12, 08:13
Poly,
The. Ags WILL NOT SEAT LOADED OR UNLOADED.
The dremel has a polishing wheel on it not a cutting wheel.
The mags wont seat w three different bcgs.
They wont seat with no bolt in upper.
Only will seat if force is applied to bottom of mag and upper reciever.
Tried other uppers on the same lower no issue.
Tried other lowers with the problem upper same issue.
The mag cutout on the UPPER is not machined deep enough.
Will measure n try to post pics after my shift.
Thanks
Jeremy

polymorpheous
06-09-12, 08:14
Leave it be.
Contact PSA and send it back.

Lockup1109
06-09-12, 08:18
Looks like i may have to. Prob is i pinned m welded on a battle comp. not ordered from them. So if i do theyll have to swap my barrel onto a new upper receiver which idk if theyll do but ill ask. I should have tested it first but thatd be a federal offense.....

polymorpheous
06-09-12, 08:55
I don't see why they wouldn't mount the barrel on a new upper.

Lockup1109
06-09-12, 09:39
Hope youre right. Ill post an update when i hear back from them. They always do right by me so im optiistic.

PA PATRIOT
06-09-12, 10:00
Strip it, ship it and be done with it.

If the upper it is out of spec they should replace it then you can remount your barrel. I doubt they will swap the barrel to a new upper free of charge if they didn't sell or install it in the first place but one never knows and they may throw you a bone.

Personally if a brand new under warranty upper showed a more advanced issue such as you described hell if I would be trying to modify the part in any way to make it work. PSA would have sent a call tag or reimbursed shipping charges and the upper would most likely be back on its way to you with out all the wasted time and energy.

polymorpheous
06-09-12, 10:04
Wait, is this a stripped upper or a barreled upper?

Lockup1109
06-09-12, 10:10
Its a barreled 14.7" chf midlength complete. I ordered it with bcg minus charging handle and i pinned my own muzzle brake and welded it. So i had to pin it first to make it legal b4 i was able to test the upper for function. Amd its not something you can visibly see. Worst case ill see if theyll send me a new stripped upper amd ill swap it myself. But ill have to wait to hear back before coming to conclusions.
My other three PSA uppers are FLAWLESS by the way. And so are the lowers. Ive got probably 6-7000 rds down range between the three and havnt had a SINGLE stoppage to date.

PA PATRIOT
06-09-12, 10:38
Strip it, ship it and be done with it.

If the upper it is out of spec they should replace it then you can remount your barrel. I doubt they will swap the barrel to a new upper free of charge if they didn't sell or install it in the first place but one never knows and they may throw you a bone.

Personally if a brand new under warranty upper showed a more advanced issue such as you described hell if I would be trying to modify the part in any way to make it work. PSA would have sent a call tag or reimbursed shipping charges and the upper would most likely be back on its way to you with out all the wasted time and energy.

Wait, is this a stripped upper or a barreled upper?

Its a barreled 14.7" chf midlength complete. I ordered it with bcg minus charging handle and i pinned my own muzzle brake and welded it. So i had to pin it first to make it legal b4 i was able to test the upper for function. Amd its not something you can visibly see. Worst case ill see if they'll send me a new stripped upper amd ill swap it myself. But ill have to wait to hear back before coming to conclusions.
My other three PSA uppers are FLAWLESS by the way. And so are the lowers. Ive got probably 6-7000 rds down range between the three and havnt had a SINGLE stoppage to date.

Then they should cover the barrel transfer free of charge.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Lockup1109
06-09-12, 17:00
UPDATE: went to this afternoon after my shift ended. Took the upper and a well worn in spikes tactical lower that funcions 100% and tested the new upper.
- NO FAILURES TO FEED!
- ran perfectly with privi m193, federal xm193 AND mfs .223
- Mags are still on the tight to very tight side but it SEEMS that it was getting a little easier the more rounds i fired off.
- fired ~ 550rds to give it a good break in/test fire and the gun ran fine. Very strange considering all the double feeds and ftf's hand cycling at home.
- before the range i took a mag and marked the top w red crayon amd inserted it into the magwell. I then saw where the mag was hitting inside the bottom of the upper reciever. I polished the edge of where the inside of the upper curves to fit the top of the mag just below the bcg and that pretty much solved the issue. I measured the width of the indise mag cutout on the problem upper and it read .78"
The other uppers i have measured .81" so the upper was 3 hundredths of an inch off from the others which was enough to initially cause the mags to not seat without brite force. Now i insert mag quickly and it clicks right into place and it doesnt feel like im going to break my pointer finger trying to hit the mag release. So far so good. If anyone ever has this issue and doesnt want to send the upper back a fine polishing wheel and a dremel was all it took to remedy the prob. Ill try and post a pic of what i did. I didnt CUT AMY METAL or use wire wheels by the way.

wetidlerjr
06-09-12, 18:18
UPDATE: went to this afternoon after my shift ended. Took the upper and a well worn in spikes tactical lower that funcions 100% and tested the new upper.
- NO FAILURES TO FEED!
- ran perfectly with privi m193, federal xm193 AND mfs .223
- Mags are still on the tight to very tight side but it SEEMS that it was getting a little easier the more rounds i fired off...

Good for you! It's always a good feeling when you solve a problem yourself. :D

Lockup1109
06-09-12, 19:05
Hell yea! Im so ****in happy i dont have to send it back. Idk about the rest of yall but 700$ is a bit of an investment for me for half of a gun lol.

polymorpheous
06-09-12, 22:25
Wow. Why couldn't you send it back again?

Don't go asking for advice you aren't willing to receive.

In the mean time, I hope you didn't bubba**** your upper.
For sure you completely voided the warranty.

This isn't Barfcom.
:suicide:

Lockup1109
06-12-12, 08:19
First off the whole point of me askig was to see if ANYONE ever had this SAME problem. I didnt post to get a "SEND IT BACK" response. If thats what i wanted to do i would have from the get go.

I guess you dont know what a polishing wheel is.... Bubba didnt touch my upper and i def didnt **** it up it works perfect.

As far as the warranty... Im not the kind of guy to ever really use a warranty on pretty much anything especially an AR. Unless its something catastrophic that cant be fixed. If polishing this upper didnt work i would have been happy if they sent me a stripped replacement in the mail and id swap it over myself.

I dont know what our comment "this isnt Barfcom means" i guess you dont fix much yourself...

polymorpheous
06-12-12, 08:29
Alright. Came home to a psa upper ive been waiting for which my fiancé signed for.DISCLAIMER NOT BASHING PSA. But this is the deal...
My brand new upper will not allow any of my usgi mags seat without physically pushing HARD on the bottom of the mag and the top rail of the rifle. Ive tried three DIFFERENT lowers all function fine w my other psa uppers and my s&w upper to no avail the mags are wayyyyyyyyyyyy too tight so much so that when i chamber a round and eject it the next round flys up out from the mag on a 45-60 degree angle with a 50% failure to feed rate dry cycling the gun. I polished the mag cutout on the inside of the upper with a dremel polishing wheel and that did help a TINY bit but i dont want to strip the metal down bare. IS MY UPPER OUT OF SPEC?? And should i send it back or polish it down some more with a brass wire wheel??
Id appreciate some help here. I was really looking foward to going out sunday to shoot this upper and im confident it wont reliably cycle...
Thanks
Jeremy

Tell me, where in this post did you ask if anyone else had this problem?
You didn't.

Your upper is likely out of spec.
No amount of polishing will change that.
You THINK you know how to fix it.
But if you knew what you thought you knew, then you wouldn't have asked the questions in the above quoted post.

I hope this doesn't bite you in the ass, I sincerely do.
But chances are you will run into problems.

Lockup1109
06-12-12, 12:37
Well so far so good.. Its not my go to gun or patrol rifle so ill see how it fares. Im trying to post a pic of what i did. Honestly i barely polished the mag cutout where the edges meet the bcg and the mags started seating much much easier. I didnt cut into the metal. If it starts failing then worst case i just buy a 90$ stripped upper and swap parts...

Lockup1109
06-12-12, 12:42
Ohh and ur right this upper is .03" narrower on the mag cutout than the rest of my uppers so that is definately the reason the mags were hard to seat. Its just enough material to make them stiff. Ill keep trying to get pics up. Iphones suck

PalmettoStateArmory
06-12-12, 13:30
Our uppers have a lifetime warranty against defects. Please contact customer service so that we can assist you with this.

Thanks,

Lockup1109
06-12-12, 13:43
Thanks for the reply. If i were to send in the upper would you guys swap my barrel assembly onto a new upper? I pinned and welded a muzzle device on thats the main reason i didnt want to send it back. And also the problem seems to be remedied. But if you guys would swap the barrel onto a new upper id be happy to send it back to you. You guys always do right by me and thats why i buy almost solely through PSA.
Thanks a lot.
-jeremy

OilyDischarge
06-14-12, 20:38
Sounds like this PSA you built is way better than a commercial RRA.

Lockup1109
06-14-12, 22:48
Dear oilydischage,

6) Trolling – Posting comments with the purpose to start conflicts with members, libel persons or groups, or to disrupt the overall running of the forum will not be allowed.

I have three psa complete rifles. Thanks.
Also have a colt 6920 and a colt match target.
Dont you have anything better to do? Like collecting tolls at your bridge...

OilyDischarge
06-14-12, 22:52
I.am not trolling. Just making comments about the quality of a particular brand. Is that trolling? How so? Aren't I entitled to my opinion?

OilyDischarge
06-14-12, 22:57
And by the way, didn't you just create a whole thread just to bad mouth a manufacturer in favor of your $700 PSA build that the mags don't fit in? Who's the troll here?

Lockup1109
06-14-12, 23:00
Nope i created a thread to let people know that my buddies new patrol rifle made by RRA had an out of spec chamber. Try reading. Congrats on your 10th post. Six of which have been trolling my threads. Maybe iraqgunz can lock this one up to so you can go troll another thread. Peace.

OilyDischarge
06-14-12, 23:04
Your assertion that the chamber is out of spec is conjecture. It should be noted that you yourself have stated in this thread that according to your measurements show this PSA upper is out if spec. Your solution is to buff it out.

OilyDischarge
06-14-12, 23:06
And for the record officer, it is buddy's, not buddies. Possessive versus plural.

everyusernametaken
06-14-12, 23:11
And by the way, didn't you just create a whole thread just to bad mouth a manufacturer in favor of your $700 PSA build that the mags don't fit in? Who's the troll here?

You don't seem to realize that you are. You actually searched to find another one of his threads after the last one was closed, just so you could continue this argument? Is your ego really that fragile?

OilyDischarge
06-14-12, 23:19
Did you actually read the thread? I was simply making an honest attempt to offer suggestions that might explain the problems in the scenario he described. He clearly posted it to incite some kind of discussion. I came to thread and made a comment to point out the irony of his situation. He accused me of trolling? I say it is discussion. Can we not have discussion? Is it rude to disagree and make arguments as to why? What does ego have to do with it? Is this guys statements not also trolling? I thought this was an AR forum. Let's discuss ARs.

everyusernametaken
06-15-12, 00:24
Did you actually read the thread? I was simply making an honest attempt to offer suggestions that might explain the problems in the scenario he described. He clearly posted it to incite some kind of discussion. I came to thread and made a comment to point out the irony of his situation. He accused me of trolling? I say it is discussion. Can we not have discussion? Is it rude to disagree and make arguments as to why? What does ego have to do with it? Is this guys statements not also trolling? I thought this was an AR forum. Let's discuss ARs.

Okay, then I apologize. It seemed to me like you were just trying to pick a fight because of his comments about RRA. I did read this thread, but I have no experience with PSA, aside from buying ammo from them.

OilyDischarge
06-15-12, 00:52
I am not here to pick fights and thank you for your courtesy. I simply believe that bashing one brand for what he claims is an out of spec chamber, while claiming his brand of AR is somehow better with what he states is an out of spec upper is playing "my gun is better than my buddy's" is pointless. I think that like manufacturers in every field, there are going to be defects and problems with a percentage of the products turned out. The lower the percentage the better. If a company is willing to replace or repair their product, then that is the company I want to do business with. Bravo to PSA for offering to replace a possibly defective product. Threads entitled "Another reason not to buy commercial ARs" do nothing to help people make informed decisions.

polymorpheous
06-15-12, 03:08
New guys,
Read more, post less.
The type of bullshit in this thread seriously ups the noise ratio on this board.
We have had enough of that lately.

Now to send a PM to see if a mod will lock this shit.

Iraqgunz
06-15-12, 04:51
I don't know what's happening lately, but some of these threads are mind boggling to say the least. So I guess it's time to dust off the HAMMER of death.

To the OP. I understand your desire to want to fix your own issues. However, when you have a NEW weapon that has issues it needs to be addressed with the manufacturer. Simply because yours may not be the only one and the manufacturer cannot address issues they don't know about. Ultimately it's not fair to them if they have the chance to make it right.

Some companies which we all know about are all too familiar with the problems their AR's have simply because they refuse to listen or fix them.

PSA doesn't seem to fit that category and not only do they try to stay active here, they try and fix the issues when possible.