PDA

View Full Version : Want a new flashlight

forgiven
06-09-12, 12:27
Just as the title says!

Background -
I own two $100-150 Surefires, Lumamax LX2 and ZX2 - I'd like to upgrade the ZX2 to the 200 lumen version, but don't know if it'd fit the same surefire holster...

I'd like the flashlight to be at least 200 lumens, use AA batteries (or CR123s...), and have strobe. Price does not matter.

I'm thinking about the Olight T25...what do you guys think?

D.S. Brown
06-13-12, 21:12
I don't know much about Olight, however over the last several months I've become a fan of FourSevens. When I saw a picture of the Olight T-25, I immediately thought of the FourSevens QT2A. Good light with several programming modes. For me when the bezel is tight it's Max lumens, loose bezel equals strobe. With the tactical tailcap you can do momentary on. Here's the link:

https://www.foursevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=2927

They also offer a Pro version that has a flat tailcap, and you can run through several modes depending on if the bezel is tightened or loosened. Unfortunately there is no temporary on feature with this one. Here's the link:

https://www.foursevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=2903

They're a little more expensive than the Olight but I think it's worth the money. I have two of Quark Tactical AA's, (same as the QT2A above), as edc lights and for the money they are very solid. Sold off nearly all my Surefires as the latter just weren't getting carried anymore. Like I said, I'm a big fan of FourSevens.

Presently they are offering 15% off when you order from their sight and enter the following code:

DADS2102

Good luck.

Best,

Dave

E-man930
06-13-12, 21:44
Why are you targeting such a low lumen goal?
Why stick with CR123s and not rechargeables?
If you don't have a budget, why not go all out and pick up a handheld 1400 lumen beast that won't eat throw away batteries?

http://www.overready.com

I have one of their 1100 lumen upgrades coming for my Surefire Mini-Scout that should run around 700 lumens on one 16340 LI-Ion rechargeable battery.

aflin
06-15-12, 11:10
Take a good look at 4sevens.

I've been overly impressed with their lights. Surefire is of course the gold standard.

SMETNA
06-15-12, 11:17
FourSevens

CarbonCycles
06-15-12, 14:18
Why are you targeting such a low lumen goal?
Why stick with CR123s and not rechargeables?
If you don't have a budget, why not go all out and pick up a handheld 1400 lumen beast that won't eat throw away batteries?

http://www.overready.com

I have one of their 1100 lumen upgrades coming for my Surefire Mini-Scout that should run around 700 lumens on one 16340 LI-Ion rechargeable battery.

Why would you offer such a suggestion when the OP hasn't stated his/her intent with the light. Running 1100 lumen indoors can be a massive liability.

E-man930
06-15-12, 15:05
The light can be configured to run 1400L / 1100L / 700L / 420L / 330L etc... all depends on batteries used and what the LED driver is programmed for. The heads they are selling run 100%/30%/1% or 1%/30%/100% with the click of the button / tape switch. Or you can have them at 100% all the time. The OP can get what he wants, but had I known a month or two ago I wouldn't have bought two Elzetta lights for general carry. Just want to give folks options before they settle on a 200L light and then complain they can't light up the trees at the end of their backyard with it...

*** Forgot to mention*** instead of chucking the old SF lights into the kitchen drawer you can just get an upgraded head and save a little $. They fit both the older M/C series, the Z/P/G and the E series with an adapter. Or you can just buy the drop ins by themselves (just like the Malkoffs) and pump up your existing light without committing to an entirely new form factor flash light that may not have future upgrades available for it. (just my 2 cents - I'm out)

Medic218
06-15-12, 20:00
Fenix
Lots of different options for many different applications.
I carry a PD30 and love it.

TomMcC
06-16-12, 20:18
Check out a Jetbeam PC10

camoman
06-18-12, 19:53
I have had an Olight m20s with the 340 lumen s2...for over 2 years, with no problems. I really like the interface for changing modes on the special operations style tail-cap. It also has a pretty impressive battery life, a decent amount of throw and spill...that will defiantly impress you if you are used to an 80 lumen sf. All in all it makes a very nice utility/tactical light. I also have an m21x that is also a good light...just quite a bit brighter, and less battery life.

camoman
06-18-12, 20:08
Why would you offer such a suggestion when the OP hasn't stated his/her intent with the light. Running 1100 lumen indoors can be a massive liability.

Running that kind of lumen can be a liability anywhere. If the light is even close to producing the advertised lumen of 1100..it would need quite a substantial heat sync..that is gonna get really hot, really fast.

JML2321
06-18-12, 22:15
I have a Fenix PD32 that I EDC, and I have been extremely pleased with it. 315 Lumen, Strobe, SOS, and 4 different brightness levels. Runs on 2 CR123 batteries and comes with a holster if you need it.

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-PD32-Compact-Lumen-Flashlight/dp/B0062PVSGW