PDA

View Full Version : Polish P64 Review

plouffedaddy
06-10-12, 13:43
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1187.jpg
The P64 is a DA/SA blowback pistol that appears to be (because it is) very similar to Walther's PPK. The designers of the pistol deny that it's a PPK clone and insisted it is an original design---sure...:D

In my opinion, the fact that it's very similar to the PPK is a good thing in my opinion, the PPK is a quality pistol as is the P64. It's been 100% reliable since I've picked it up and for $189 it's tough to complain.

The 9x18 Makarov round could have a post of its' own, and it's often debated whether one using the round should carry JHP rounds or FMJ to increase penetration. I'll leave that debate to another day but I chrono'd some common loads in the video. For what it's worth, I spoke with Kevin Underwood two weeks ago of www.underwoodammo.com and he told me that he was currently developing some 9x18 defensive loads. When they come out, they'll probably be my carry load for this handgun (pending performance testing of course) since he has a reputation of producing good affordable defensive ammo.

Pros:
Cost--$189 for a gun of this quality is tough to complain about
100% reliability thus far.
All steel construction, seems like it will be very durable
Replacement parts, should you need them, are very inexpensive
The single action trigger is excellent
Fires an affordable round ($10/50 on most internet sites).
Carries and conceals easily
Gun appears to be in excellent shape for a surplus weapon

Cons:
Heavy (22oz) for a carry gun by modern standards
Blowback design is inherently a dirty firing design
Many shooters experience slide bite (I only noticed some abrasion after about 100 rounds, and I have large hands)
Sights are miniscule, but usable
The OEM hammer spring causes the worst DA pull I've ever experienced (easily replaceable for about $5)
Some people claim the recoil is stout, but I think it's on par with most modern pocket/slim 9mm type guns.

Here's a quick video with some shooting, disassembly/assembly, and chronograph tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLe0SkgouMo&feature=channel&list=UL

Chronograph Data:

Hornady 95gr XTP: 990 fps, 207ft/lbs of energy
Silver Bear 94gr HP: 1042 fps, 229ft/lbs of energy
Brown Bear 94gr FMJ: 1075 fps, 241ft/lbs of energy

warpigM-4
06-10-12, 15:27
Outstanding ! I have been thinking about getting one with My C&R
But this is the first hands on review I have seen .Thank you
CorBon Makes a 9x18 defense round ,I use to carry it in my Russian makarvo

packinaglock
06-10-12, 15:34
So, how many polloks does it take to pull the trigger on this? Sorry guys I had to, my Grandfather's (mothers side) mother was a polish orphan so yes I'm part polish. :smile:

HKAngusKL
06-10-12, 15:44
These are neat little pistols. The biggest drawback for me was the double action trigger felt like it was 20+ pounds. Did you have to adjust it at all to get it to feed hp rounds? I know that I had to do some fluff and buff on the feed ramp of my Makarovs.

If you get a chance, try the CZ 82. They are double stack, and every one I have tried had been rock solid reliable with any ammo type. As a bonus, the trigger pulls seem to be far more usable. The downside is that they are thicker than single stack designs (but they do hold 12+1 rounds of 9x18.) The CZ 83 is still produced, and shares common parts with the 82.

montrala
06-10-12, 17:55
P64 until 2001 was main pistol for Polish Police (along smaller numbers of P83). From 2001 it started to be gradually replaced with modern pistols (mostly Walther P99AS and small number of Glocks), but it is still in use. Actually some plainclothes still prefer P64. Some officers have pistols that are much older than them, and still in good, working condition. There is not schedule to replace P64 completely.

It is not copy of PPK, but as designed from a start with concealed carry in mind, it strongly resembles PPK. Still P64 had some features that where patented and new designs. In history of firearms it is hard to find something totally free from influences of previous designs.

And DA trigger pull is horrible.

Trajan
06-10-12, 20:04
Initially I thought that the P64 was a cool pistol (for about 20 minutes), but as stated the DA pull is horrendous, weighs the same as a Glock 17, and the sights are non-existent.

The (old) European mag release and the lack of a slide release are also rather big cons in my book.

JHC
06-11-12, 07:49
So, how many polloks does it take to pull the trigger on this? Sorry guys I had to, my Grandfather's (mothers side) mother was a polish orphan so yes I'm part polish. :smile:

:D Half Pole myself and my uncles from the Polish side repeated every Polish joke they heard (in Chicago area that was a lot) with glee.

Neat little pistol. If I were still accumulating vs training almost exclusively with one platform I would not be able to resist. I still may break down for the heritage thing. I'd better price some ammo first. ;)

montrala
06-11-12, 08:04
I did some research on trigger pull. Initially P-64 had lighter hammer spring and much nicer trigger pull. But P-64 was supposed to use same ammo that PM-63 (SMG). Because PM-63 was prone to accidental discharges when dropped (due to self-cycling - it was firing from open bolt) ammo for PM-63 got very hard primers, to reduce probability of AD when bolt is not going from most rearward position. Unfortunately P-64 was failing to ignite those primers, so much stronger hammer spring was added and it made it's trademark horrible DA trigger pull.

plouffedaddy
06-11-12, 09:35
If you get a chance, try the CZ 82 I have one and actually did a side by side comparison in the video.

I still may break down for the heritage thing. I'd better price some ammo first.

You know you want to and are going to do it one day anyway :D Aim, SGA, and classicarms all have 9x18 ammo for $10 or less per box of 50 so no need to price it, just order it ;).

loupav
06-11-12, 10:44
This reminds me I always wanted a Walther PPK in .380 for some reason or another. I hope I can stay away from gunbroker for the next two days and I'll be good.

anthony1
06-12-12, 02:06
I've owned a few and shot man others. I wouldn't carry one, most will fire if even lightly dropped. In single action most p64s will fire if you even lightly bump the slide area.

Unless you just want one for whatever reason a makarov or cz is a similar but much better pistol for around the same price.

Pistol Shooter
06-12-12, 16:16
This reminds me I always wanted a Walther PPK in .380 for some reason or another. I hope I can stay away from gunbroker for the next two days and I'll be good.

One of my first handguns was a German made NIB Walther 9mm Kurz PPK/S in 1972.

Trust me, you don't want to go there. ;)

Get a PPS instead, they run like Energizer Bunnies.

1911-A1
06-16-12, 23:53
I love the P64. I have the Wolff spring kit in mine which tames the recoil and brings the trigger down to a normal level. The SA trigger is VERY light, but I've never had a problem with the hammer dropping by accident.

The gun is extremely accurate and seems very reliable. I have put around 300rds through mine, and not a problem so far.

Where are people finding cheap spare parts? Last I heard they were extremely rare to the point people were just buying them in pairs so they had parts available.

plouffedaddy
06-17-12, 08:07
Check out p64resource.com for parts--they've got a forum that has lots of parts in the classifieds.