PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of the KAC E3 IWS Mod1 vs. Standard E3?

1911-A1
06-10-12, 13:50
The Mod1 just has a URX3.1, correct? How does this affect the E3's magical "balance" that I've been hearing so much about? I handled a standard E3 at a gun show, and it really didn't seem much different than most other midlength guns. Does the Mod1 have the same profile barrel and gas system?

Can anyone with time on both guns comment on the differences?

TehLlama
06-10-12, 20:38
Only owner of the latter, but from all the pictures, KAC didn't reinvent the wheel, just threw the URX 3.1 Rifle on the existing setup, and made the price match the change.

The weights of the two handguards are within 2oz, I suspect it depends on what rail panels or milled grip panels/hand stops you choose.

JSGlock34
06-10-12, 21:00
I don't have trigger time on both, but I own a SR-15E3 and have handled the MOD1. I was impressed with the MOD1 - the rail system is longer and it doesn't have rail sections everywhere, but weight is almost identical to the original model. The MOD1 was as balanced as my standard SR-15E3, but I liked the ability to run my arm out further on the MOD1 handguard. I'd consider the MOD1 as a nice 'evolution' of the SR-15E3, but hardly a game changer.

Those who like to run a Surefire X300 at the 12 o'clock position will undoubtedly like the removable front BUIS on the MOD1. I like the integrated front sight on the URXII, but it does interfere with the 12 o'clock mounting.