PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Field Stripping for Dummies

ptmccain
06-10-12, 17:51
When I got my first 1911, the thought of disassembling and reassembling it was a bit intimidating. So, I decided to make this video, shot in a well lit interior studio type setting, with clear, close ups and explanations. Respectfully offered for your use and consideration and sharing with others.

SteveS
06-10-12, 19:53
Field stripping a 1911 is childs play !! My dad used to let me take his 1911 apart when I was a kid . I am 59 years old now. the full length guide rods are the first thing I remove when I buy a 1911 that comes with one and convert to a short guide rod and proper plug.

ptmccain
06-10-12, 20:00
Yup, definitely agree with you on the FLGR.

loupav
06-11-12, 09:09
I'm just curious, but what do you guys think of taking apart a 1911, like the following?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4WPQxAyJks&list=UUDflFPjGCn5pi1zoJcGqCdA&index=7&feature=plcp

I was thought to disassemble a 1911 like you showed ptmccain, but it just seemed very odd that WC would post this. Perhaps they did it to show that it can be easy(ier)?

ptmccain
06-11-12, 10:21
Two piece guide rod...ughh.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat, of course, but here I think his two piece guide rod probably is dictating how he takes it down.

I've taken them down differently myself, but I'm comfortable doing it the way I demonstrate in the video.

I've done the "take the slide stop out" first method...it works too. It's just whatever you get used to.

And, his video is a good example of why I made mine.

When people run through it quickly, with little explanation, and no close ups and detailed explanation, it can be confusing for people doing this for the first time.

One people do it a few times, they develop their own ways of doing it.

David Thomas
06-11-12, 10:38
I'm just curious, but what do you guys think of taking apart a 1911, like the following?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4WPQxAyJks&list=UUDflFPjGCn5pi1zoJcGqCdA&index=7&feature=plcp

I was thought to disassemble a 1911 like you showed ptmccain, but it just seemed very odd that WC would post this. Perhaps they did it to show that it can be easy(ier)?

I take mine down by removing the slide stop and sliding the slide off regardless of FLGR or standard GI part, similar to the method demonstrated in the Wilson video.

Chuck
06-11-12, 12:09
Removing the slide stop first is the method used by the overwhelming
majority of smiffs.

ptmccain
06-11-12, 12:17
And, I'm sure, somewhere, you could find a long raging debate on a gun forum arguing about the pros/cons of taking slide stop out first, or the plug and bushing first.....

:)

loupav
06-11-12, 14:47
majority of smiffs.

Did not know that. Glad I asked. Thank you.

TiroFijo
06-11-12, 16:43
majority of smiffs.

Chuck speaks, I listen :)

Does this method have any advantage with "normal" production 1911s that have fairly loose bushings?

ptmccain
06-11-12, 17:24
If this is what smiffs do, what do most smurfs do?

:D

Chuck
06-13-12, 01:54
Several advantages.
You are not fighting a close fit of barrel to bushing.
You are not risking launching the recoil spring plug.
It is faster.

ptmccain
06-13-12, 09:19
I'm going to try it this way next time I take down my 1911. Thanks.

Perhaps another video?

tb-av
06-13-12, 11:59
I think you will like the "Chuck" method better. I know I did. Been doing it that way for over 10 years now. Much easier.

JW5219
06-13-12, 12:26
You did a nice job explaining that on the video. This coming from a non-1911 guy. (for now ;) )

ed2brute
06-13-12, 12:30
Very nice.

Ed Brown's shop made a similar video a few of years ago, and it's also good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcPrJNoFJQA