PDA

View Full Version : 870 Rebirth

NeverBeLost
06-10-12, 21:25
I am currently in the process of breathing some new life into my 2002 Remington 870 Express Magnum. My end goal is turning this into a proper fighting/general use shotgun. I had previously bubba'd it in my period of poor firearms knowledge with a cheap synthetic furniture set and $50 red dot. I already put the stock wood furniture on which is much nicer than the POS pistol grip I had on there. Here's what else I have to do.

1. Cut and thread 24" pole-vaulting barrel down to 19"
2. Put some sort of a new finish on the gun, the old finish was a rust magnet.
3. Shorten LoP to ~13"
4. Extended mag tube.
5. Maybe add a side saddle depending on how much the rest costs.

Now question, where can I get the barrel threaded for chokes once it is cut? I have no problem cutting and crowning it myself, but I have nowhere near the equipment to thread it.
Also, What is a tough, relatively easy to apply finish to apply? I looked at Cerakote, but I don't have an air-sprayer and It looks a little tough. How is KG Gunkote?

Thanks.

halo2304
06-10-12, 21:34
Just a thought, but why not buy a new barrel and sell the one you have?

NeverBeLost
06-10-12, 21:36
Does Remington make one thats 18"-20" that is also threaded? Because I would for sure do that then.

warpigM-4
06-10-12, 22:00
check with brownells .com Banner at the top of the page direct link

cheapsandwich
06-11-12, 13:39
Last time I had a barrel cut and threaded for chokes and bead installed it was like $80 for $35 more I could of just got a new barrel.
I'm doing pretty much the same as you with my 870,I just bought a new Remington barrel for my 870, 18inch IC bead. Cut the stock,trimmed the fore end and waiting for my velcro side saddle.
Best price on that barrel was some Old dude named Larry.

BravoHotel
06-11-12, 13:45

Great price on that barrel!

So is that some website or something....or really "just some old dude named Larry" that you met in a back alley??

I ask because I'd like to get one for myself.

cheapsandwich
06-11-12, 14:51
Great price on that barrel!

So is that some website or something....or really "just some old dude named Larry" that you met in a back alley??

I ask because I'd like to get one for myself.

It's a store about "midway" between St.louis and K.C :D

BravoHotel
06-11-12, 15:02
It's a store about "midway" between St.louis and K.C :D

Copy that. Your original comment makes COMPLETE sense now! :D

Thanks.

NeverBeLost
06-11-12, 21:51
Last time I had a barrel cut and threaded for chokes and bead installed it was like $80 for $35 more I could of just got a new barrel.
I'm doing pretty much the same as you with my 870,I just bought a new Remington barrel for my 870, 18inch IC bead. Cut the stock,trimmed the fore end and waiting for my velcro side saddle.

Where did you get yours cut for $80?! I would rather get a new barrel but I cannot find one short enough that is threaded for chokes.

cheapsandwich
06-11-12, 22:24
Where did you get yours cut for $80?! I would rather get a new barrel but I cannot find one short enough that is threaded for chokes.

I worked with a guy that works at a gun shop during the off season.
So I guess I got his price.
Honestly though a Improved Cylinder choke is plenty good for what your going for.

NeverBeLost
06-17-12, 14:03
Carlson's barrel and new trigger pins are shipping right now.

Now, what would you recommend for a new finish? The damn gun starts to rust before I even get home if it is raining or humid out. How difficult is Cerakote to apply if I have access to a spray gun?