PDA

View Full Version : 5R 300WM looking for the load, everything matters!

Pappabear
06-11-12, 00:24
We have been playing with different loads for the last few months. We were able to get under an inch but never a half inch. Never! We could stack two on top then throw a third or fourth or fifth. After playing with load after load, we used Nosler Brass (ICANHITITMAN) said it time after time. We were testing three different loads, only change was brass and every load shot 1/2 inch groups.

Months ago we started with both the Win and Nosler, before we had the loads tweaked down so we didn't see the difference. So we were trying to burn that win brass up, all it did was burn my barrel up.

Maybe it was a freak day, but it hit me all of a sudden after about the 5th 1/2 group. NOSLER! I bought a shitload of Norma which should be as good or better and should keep me in the good. Hopefully it wasn't a one week wonder, because I was very pumped.

The other piece of the "everything matters" is our famous (famous to me :D) 69 grain load. We loaded 500 with CCI primers, because we ran out of wolf, and it is a 1 inch load now. With our standby Wolf primers, its below a 1/4 inch in my 5R and my gas guns will do 1/2 inch groups.

I know most of you guys know this stuff, but I wanted to reiterate it for hard headed people like me. EVERYTHING MATTERS

orkan
06-11-12, 01:22
It may matter, but it doesn't always.

1/2 moa dispersion is rarely noticed regardless of its cause when actually engaging targets. Once you stretch the distance, and shrink the targets... then it matters. :)

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-11-12, 14:51
We have been playing with different loads for the last few months. We were able to get under an inch but never a half inch. Never! We could stack two on top then throw a third or fourth or fifth. After playing with load after load, we used Nosler Brass (ICANHITITMAN) said it time after time. We were testing three different loads, only change was brass and every load shot 1/2 inch groups.

Months ago we started with both the Win and Nosler, before we had the loads tweaked down so we didn't see the difference. So we were trying to burn that win brass up, all it did was burn my barrel up.

Maybe it was a freak day, but it hit me all of a sudden after about the 5th 1/2 group. NOSLER! I bought a shitload of Norma which should be as good or better and should keep me in the good. Hopefully it wasn't a one week wonder, because I was very pumped.

The other piece of the "everything matters" is our famous (famous to me :D) 69 grain load. We loaded 500 with CCI primers, because we ran out of wolf, and it is a 1 inch load now. With our standby Wolf primers, its below a 1/4 inch in my 5R and my gas guns will do 1/2 inch groups.

I know most of you guys know this stuff, but I wanted to reiterate it for hard headed people like me. EVERYTHING MATTERS

LOL thanks for the plug. I am super pumped it had such a dramatic effect for you guys. I love the NOSLER brass, I nearly shit my self last year when they had that explosion at their plant. I bought more brass than my barrel will last for. I think the fact that is all weight sorted for you helps a lot.

MOA
06-15-12, 18:06
Thats interesting. In my testing on my remington 700 sendero I found that once brass is weight matched and just neck sized there was very little differnce. The bonus with nosler is that cases didn't break down into as big a differnce in weights. but after I shot that all up I just went back to weight sorted winchester. I shoot a 190 MK over a hot load of RE 22 into 1/2" groups all day. Where I found the biggest gain was at 300+ yards. RE22 held groups better than anything else I tried. But I hear its temp sensitive...

Did I read that right, Wolf primers give you the best groups?

darr3239
06-15-12, 18:43
Did I read that right, Wolf primers give you the best groups?

You did, for 5.56.

Pappabear
06-15-12, 19:01
Yes, as Larry said. 5.56. 69/77grainers

Pappabear
06-15-12, 22:18
Thats interesting. In my testing on my remington 700 sendero I found that once brass is weight matched and just neck sized there was very little differnce. The bonus with nosler is that cases didn't break down into as big a differnce in weights. but after I shot that all up I just went back to weight sorted winchester.

How much weight variation is acceptable and how much is not? Ie I can weigh on the Green machine.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-16-12, 06:31
How much weight variation is acceptable and how much is not? Ie I can weigh on the Green machine.

The Nosler brass is already sorted + or - 1g. So you get pre sorted brass of higher qualty right out the gate.