PDA

View Full Version : Official Noveske STS thread

Brahmzy
06-11-12, 09:44
Per discussions with Stickman, he's agreed to shed some light on the upcoming Magpul/Noveske project. This is a Magpul-made, Noveske/Magpul co-developed polymer safety lever.

This is what we've got so far:

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/06/10/noveske-sts-60-degree-selector/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/noveske-sts/STKL9256-A-1000-MT.jpg

All yours Stickman!

Warg
06-11-12, 09:54
Thanks for kicking off this thread.

Per the MT article, you might want to add to your description above, e.g., polymer lever(s) with steel internals.

Todd.K
06-11-12, 10:35
The STS uses Magpul SSG selector levers for the SCAR. The levers are reversible on the Ambi version, or you can choose to run the short lever on the RH selector.

The center drum section is steel, hardened, with a nitride finish.

The throw is 60 deg.

The slot for the detent is designed to make it a bit easier going back onto safe, while keeping a very positive feel.

Currently in production, they will be available from Noveske dealers in about two weeks.

OldGreg
06-11-12, 11:36
Todd,

Are multiple colors going to be available?

Agile53
06-11-12, 11:49
Todd,

Are multiple colors going to be available?

OG plz tell me this post was tongue-in-cheek, just dripping w/ sarcasm, correct?

Stickman
06-11-12, 11:53
The STS uses Magpul SSG selector levers for the SCAR. The levers are reversible on the Ambi version, or you can choose to run the short lever on the RH selector.

The throw is 60 deg.

The slot for the detent is designed to make it a bit easier going back onto safe, while keeping a very positive feel.

Currently in production, they will be available from Noveske dealers in about two weeks.

That about sums it up! :D

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%207/STKL9277-1000-MT.jpg

Stickman
06-11-12, 11:56
OG plz tell me this post was tongue-in-cheek, just dripping w/ sarcasm, correct?

While I would doubt there are any current plans to do the full Magpul color spectrum, if the demand was there it should be easy enough to do. The big question would be regarding the demand for it, and I'm not sure people really care that much about selector/ safety colors.

Stickman
06-11-12, 11:57
Here is a quick picture showing the lever at its 60 degree position.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%207/STKL9262-1000-MT.jpg

Brahmzy
06-11-12, 12:09
Stick, is there anyway to post some macro pictures of the internals? Detent grooves, center barrel etc.? Maybe some close-up disassembled pics?

Stickman
06-11-12, 12:37
Stick, is there anyway to post some macro pictures of the internals? Detent grooves, center barrel etc.? Maybe some close-up disassembled pics?

Probably not for awhile, I've got a heavy schedule right now with articles, pictures, and the 5k 300blk testing in addition to my cop job. The next time I'm shooting macro work or have a lighting setup which will work, I'll try to get some shots done of it.

adh
06-11-12, 18:31
Cool.....will want to read more about this, and would love some user feedback. Would really love a hands on user comparison of the 60degree through compared to the BADASS 45degree (IIRC it's 45).

Stickman
06-13-12, 15:39
Quick picture showing the size difference between the long and short levers....

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%207/868W9488-A-1200-Stick.jpg

polydeuces
06-27-12, 13:41

The throw is 60 deg.

Almost 2 weeks, any heads up on ETA?

Perhaps dumb question - but don't want to assume - these will fit just fine in any version N4 lowers and any all other regular lowers, as opposed to the "other" (BAD) ambi short throw?
Thanks.

Todd.K
06-27-12, 14:17
The STS will fit any standard lower.

I just saw the packaging sample so it's getting closer to being released. I don't have a date they will ship to dealers yet.

polydeuces
06-27-12, 16:20
Awesome, thanks. Just what I've been waiting for.

Shiky
07-02-12, 21:16
will they be available for order with two short levers? or will extra levers be available for purchase?

Koshinn
07-03-12, 02:58
Is the "magpul" lettering going to be upside down on one side of the weapon?

Clem
07-03-12, 07:58
Is the "magpul" lettering going to be upside down on one side of the weapon?

If you look at Stick's picture a few posts above, the short lever will be rightside up on the right side of the weapon.

g5m
07-03-12, 08:30
Probably not for awhile, I've got a heavy schedule right now with articles, pictures, and the 5k 300blk testing in addition to my cop job. The next time I'm shooting macro work or have a lighting setup which will work, I'll try to get some shots done of it.

Sounds like you could use a bit more on your plate.

Todd.K
07-03-12, 11:35
The STS will come with one long and one short.
The levers are already available in a set from Magpul if you want a second long or short one, I don't think we have any plans to sell them individually at this time.

Stickman
07-03-12, 12:48
Sounds like you could use a bit more on your plate.

Between cop stuff, picture stuff, and writing, it's between an 80 and 90 hr work week most of the time.

Shiky
07-05-12, 15:07
well according to the Noveske Shooting team on Facebook, someone said we could call in and place a phone order for the STS. However, when I called Noveske, I spoke to a woman who wasn't quite sure what I was talking about, but then that it wasn't released yet :( hopefully soon. However she did tell me that the first vendor to receive them will most likely be Rainier Arms.

Vgex2
07-28-12, 15:46
Just in case anyone is interested, the STS 60 Degree Right Hand Safety is in-stock at Rainier Arms.

adh
08-08-12, 18:51
Just in case anyone is interested, the STS 60 Degree Right Hand Safety is in-stock at Rainier Arms.

So Rainier has the right hand in stock and the ambi as "notify me"

The right hand is just that, the right hand selector switch only correct?.....just confused because the pic shows both levers, I'm assuming you can just run whichever lever you want, the short one or the long one?
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse

glocktogo
08-08-12, 21:09
So Rainier has the right hand in stock and the ambi as "notify me"

The right hand is just that, the right hand selector switch only correct?.....just confused because the pic shows both levers, I'm assuming you can just run whichever lever you want, the short one or the long one?
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse

Correct. I got my single side STS from Ranier and it came with both a long and a short lever. It does seem to return to safe more easily, yet positively than a stock 90 degree lever. I find that the long lever is easy for me to ride in the fire position with about the same thumb placement as it would be riding the thumb safety on a 1911. The outermost edge is a little sharp and uncomfortable on a bare thumb, but that should be easy to correct. Overall, I think it's a worthwhile piece of kit at that price point, particularly if you mate it to a lower cost LPK w/o fire control parts and add a better than stock trigger.

I'm waiting on a BAD lever as well, so I can do a SXS comparison.

Todd.K
08-09-12, 10:34
The RH and AMBI STS come with both the long and short lever. On the AMBI you can choose what side to put each, on the RH you can chose to run the long or short lever.

Todd.K
08-09-12, 16:45
This quote is from another thread, and I am posting it here rather than in a thread about a competitors product.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=108596

It would be a much more kosher move for Noveske to clearly spell out that their designs failed below 60 degrees.....not anybody else's design but theirs. The method, and results to document that statement would be nice as well.You can read the original article here
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/06/10/noveske-sts-60-degree-selector/
The statement was clearly made as to why Noveske chose 60 deg for our design after making several different prototypes.

As for the reason, simple geometry.

The back of the trigger presses up on the selector in the safe position. At less than 60 deg, where the trigger pushes up on the selector is not on the axis the selector rotates. So the trigger is actually trying to rotate the selector off safe, and only the detent is keeping it in place.

You can test this with a GI selector.
Take it 30 deg off safe, pull the trigger.
Take it 45 deg off safe, pull the trigger.

Our design focused on keeping all the dimensions to the MIL print except the angle between safe and fire, the detent grove, and the auto features. Other selectors may not have standard geometry, and we never tested other designs to know or make any claims about their function.

Noodles
08-09-12, 17:13
I got mine in! Ordered a couple ambi kits the second rainier set them as in stock.

Three issues...

1. The standard click to safe and smooth to fire is more like Click to safe and click to fire. It's a very subtle difference. Maybe this will wear in a little?

2. The magpul selector is actually quite sharp right at the top end of the lever, it could use a radius on this for sure as it's quite aggressive on my thumb when switching. I know... I can feel sharp things, so I'm a pussy. I get it. I'll probably emery it down a little after shooting a couple times if it still annoys me.

3. The small / jeweler's screw driver needed for install is DUMB. I would have been much happier with a small alan/hex head because that is way more likely to come across. I really don't know why they did this. It's a little questionable to require a special tool just for this. That said, in all reality, who has had a field failure on their safety selector? I guess a failed trigger group would require the safety to come out as well (right?) but that's got to be pretty rare as well.

The good stuff.... Other than those three things, it's quite nice, and I look forward to trying it at the range. I feel like it's a ton quicker and easier to swap from safe to fire to safe with 60º but the real benefit is I don't have to alter my grip or dislocate my thumb to reach for it. The standard length works great where it is (not too long) and the short is just long enough to feel right at the middle of the trigger finger's metacarpal, so without using my thumb it's pretty clear the safety is off, not having used an ambi safety before this is new to me.

I think the B.A.D CASS and ASS designs are a little fancier, but I just couldn't really justify dropping $100 on each safety for each AR. I like the 60 throw just fine, and I didn't need to alter anything to fit like the BAD ST levers need. For the price, the STS fit me better. I look forward to trying it out on the range. Have to wait until next week.

Todd.K
08-09-12, 19:10
1. The difference is not huge, but noticeable. Also remember your thumb has less leverage going back towards safe.

3. Hex or even Torx that small strip out very easily.

glocktogo
08-09-12, 23:12
1. The difference is not huge, but noticeable. Also remember your thumb has less leverage going back towards safe.

3. Hex or even Torx that small strip out very easily.

I'll admit I had to go scrounge for my eyeglass screwdriver to install the lever. If a special tool is needed for install, it would be nice if it was included.

tommyrott
09-13-12, 23:20
got my STS today , been using a BAD.ASS safety till now i just did'nt want to buy a new receiver so went with Noveske. really like the positive clicks for safety and fire, mini screwdriver was a non issue since i have a set for eyeglass/electronic repair. as commented on before levers are kinda sharp so took a sharp knife and scraped the edges off, helped some but i intend to get a short lever and thin it a little with my dremel. really like the design factor to work with as many receivers as possible, i have to say the only real issue i would have with a dedicated receiver for a short throw is as follows, price and avalibility. been interested in the 45 degree since it came out but could not find any dedicated receivers in stock when i checked so Noveske wins since i just happened to have a receiver at hand:D

Noodles
09-14-12, 10:54
got my STS today , been using a BAD.ASS safety till now i just did'nt want to buy a new receiver so went with Noveske. really like the positive clicks for safety and fire, mini screwdriver was a non issue since i have a set for eyeglass/electronic repair. as commented on before levers are kinda sharp so took a sharp knife and scraped the edges off, helped some but i intend to get a short lever and thin it a little with my dremel. really like the design factor to work with as many receivers as possible, i have to say the only real issue i would have with a dedicated receiver for a short throw is as follows, price and avalibility. been interested in the 45 degree since it came out but could not find any dedicated receivers in stock when i checked so Noveske wins since i just happened to have a receiver at hand:D

NFA Issue for me. Even if I wanted to swap receivers over to a 45-specific, I can't without also registering that receiver as an SBR and I'm not going to do that for something as superfluous as a 15degree shorter throw safety that costs 3x as much.

I still need to knock down the edges on mine, been busy with handgun stuff, haven't touched the rifle in a couple weeks.

Koshinn
09-14-12, 11:51
NFA Issue for me. Even if I wanted to swap receivers over to a 45-specific, I can't without also registering that receiver as an SBR and I'm not going to do that for something as superfluous as a 15degree shorter throw safety that costs 3x as much.

I still need to knock down the edges on mine, been busy with handgun stuff, haven't touched the rifle in a couple weeks.

You can dremel off the steel pin on the bad st selectors, it's the only thing preventing install on regular receivers. I did that last night, took all of 5 min.

Agile53
11-10-12, 22:52
Time for a bump to see if any left handers like myself have any NEW user feedback from running these w/ extended range time now?

12-08-12, 10:45
Sorry for bumping this old thread but I finally got my hands on the STS. From the feel of it the selectors seem pretty stout (hard polymer) and I don't see myself breaking them anytime soon. If you do manage to mangle the selector(s) it must have gone through some extreme stuff. My initial concern was with the slot of the plastic selector possibly rounding out over time. But rest assured I don't think that's ever going to happen because of 1. the hardness of the plastic (based on feel), 2. how deep the drum gets inserted into the selector with it's snug fit, and 3. The pin/screw setup. I threw a little purple loctite on the threaded portion of the screw but I really don't think you will need it. The screw is pretty snug threading in and it would probably take a lot of vibration to get it to come undone and actually fall out.

Only time will tell if this will be a hit and be accepted by all as a part that is "good to go."

Note: A 2.4mm flat head screw driver is perfect for the job. I didn't have any problems with it.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2i1gwhh.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/nxusnc.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/16a2rfs.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/9prhxz.jpg

Agile53
12-08-12, 10:50
021411 thx for the detailed install post, very thorough brother.

Mind coming back & updating us re. the feel/handling of this switch is after some quality range/training time?

Voodoo_Man
12-08-12, 11:11
Looks like the SCAR magpul safety lever just on an AR.

It works awesome.

adh
12-08-12, 11:20
Doesn't look like the ambi STS is in stock anywhere

12-08-12, 11:43
021411 thx for the detailed install post, very thorough brother.

Mind coming back & updating us re. the feel/handling of this switch is after some quality range/training time?
Sure will. I won't be blowing up my rifle or dropping it out of a helicopter but I will be flicking the shit out of it at home and on the range. I'll update..

Edited to add: If you're the type that likes to change out parts regularly this might not be for you. I can already see removing the selector being a pain in the ass since everything fits together tightly. It might also be a hindrance out in the field so to speak if you need to service your rifle. If that's the case stick to regular selectors as they are plentiful (I hope).

ROG Tactical
12-08-12, 11:43
Doesn't look like the ambi STS is in stock anywhere

Keep looking...they are still available ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

jaxman7
12-08-12, 14:03
Been using one for about 3 months now. I like 'em. Can I compare it to a BAD ASS? No. I've never played with one.

The 60 degree throw is very nice. I know it's not apples to apples in travel but it more closely matches the safety on my M&P9. At least when compared to the standard 90 degree. Having the safety flipped on/off in the same manner between my 2 most frequently used firearms is a nice plus.

The 60 requires much less finger movement to engage/disengage the safety.

The width of it is another plus at least in my eyes. The lever is quite wide where it mounts on the drum which makes a thumbrest of sorts.

Only two complaints really. As others have said it needs to be sanded slightly as the edges sharp. Also there isn't much of a tactile feel at all when placing weapon on fire. Back to safe yes but going offsafe, no. Two minor gripes and they aren't enough to keep me from putting another one of these on my next build.

-Jax

Agile53
12-09-12, 11:49
jaxman7 like I told 021411 on page 2, thx for the detailed reply w/ the actual user feedback,
I appreciate it.

Being a lefty here, can you advise how you have your levers set up, ie. which side short vs. long?

jaxman7
12-09-12, 11:55
My opinion ain't worth much but if I was a lefty I would just relearn how to shoot the CORRECT way.....right handed. ;)

Seriously though if it were my weapon I would place the short lever on the left side.

-Jax

sammage
12-09-12, 13:57
Keep looking...they are still available ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Indeed, and at a good price...on a certain site. ;)

darr3239
12-09-12, 14:14
I've got just a limited amount of time with the STS. The one thing I didn't like was the sharp edge of the secondary safety hitting my trigger finger. I dremeled it down a bit, and everything is good to go now.

maindish
02-10-13, 18:52
Can Todd K. or someone comment on their perception of the volume of the audible click when switching to FIRE?

I have an STS on the shelf an plan to do a primarily hunting build. My local dealer told me the switch might actually be loud enough to alert game. I'll probably still use it, just wanted to know what to expect.

Duffy
02-10-13, 19:01
Every mechanical safety I know off will emit a click, which provides tactile and audio feedback to the user, I don't think you'd want a safety that doesn't do that.

That said, you can muffle the audible click somewhat by holding the lever and rotating it very slowly :)

Stickman
02-10-13, 19:56
Can Todd K. or someone comment on their perception of the volume of the audible click when switching to FIRE?

I have an STS on the shelf an plan to do a primarily hunting build. My local dealer told me the switch might actually be loud enough to alert game. I'll probably still use it, just wanted to know what to expect.

It isn't going to be much if any different than any other safety/ selector
on an AR15.

Never_Enough
02-11-13, 02:13
It isn't going to be much if any different than any other safety/ selector
on an AR15.

Stick nailed it, not any louder than any other safety selector on the the market. I have been using mine for about 2 months now, not one issue. Levers have stayed tight, no need to tighten. Price point considered, this is the one to have on a budget. The short lever doesn't interfere with your trigger finger much, not as much as others on the market.

maindish
02-11-13, 11:28
Thanks for the input. I'll go with it, the BAD lever and milspec do not bother me.
I'm not too terribly worried about it the more I think about it - it's not bowhunting after all. Last hunting build was 7mm-08, next is 6.5 Grendel, so I don't plan to be close. It's those dang coyotes that seem to pick up on everything.

ldub5818
02-11-13, 11:35

If you ask me Id think that the amount of volume from the selector will be directly related to the strength of the detent spring. Stronger spring = louder more positive click and vice versa. Dont see what it'd matter though.......

adh
03-14-13, 18:40
Anyone know of a place that has the ambi STS in stock and takes paypal???? Not a big fan of paypal, but I got some $$ in my account that I'd like to use to get one of these.