PDA

View Full Version : DD changes

High Tower
06-11-12, 16:39
Daniel Defense just announced an in line change in some of their rifles. They will be shipping complete rifles with their DDM4 rail, their new flash hiders, and their new front sight base.

I know some of these things aren't brand new for them, but I like seeing them on the guns.

I'm not sure how the front sight is better, but it looks cooler.

https://danieldefense.com/

I'd post a picture, but that is beyond me tech limits.

Noodles
06-11-12, 16:46
Uh oh! Someone messed with the front sight post... expect hell! :D

Looks fine to me, not sure why that arc in the front sight is there. Perhaps they thinned it up a bit to loose weight and added shape to keep the same strength?

Rail is fine. I'm over quad rails though.

Flash hider doesn't appear to be anything stunningly new like being built for X brand suppressor or anything like that.

hotbiggun42
06-11-12, 16:50
It looks Great! they make outstanding products IMO. I just sold my DD rifle unfortunitley job loss and one rifle had to go:(

Jaysop
06-11-12, 17:04
I googled it and cant find anything. Whats so "improved" about that FSB?

Leonidas24
06-11-12, 17:08
Judging from DD's new taste for showing off CG images of their products, it appears that the 6 o'clock rail is closer to the center line of bore as opposed to the Omega X or Lite series. I'm sure someone will be happy about that.

Casull
06-11-12, 17:48
Judging from DD's new taste for showing off CG images of their products, it appears that the 6 o'clock rail is closer to the center line of bore as opposed to the Omega X or Lite series. I'm sure someone will be happy about that.

Yup! I am. I like their new stuff. I'm glad to see a good maker going for innovation in their stock AR's in-general. The new rails are very spiffy.

GeorgiaBoy
06-11-12, 17:50
Not a big fan of the new FSB. Not sure what was "wrong" with the original one.

I also don't necessarily see the reasoning behind this new rail. DD already makes an outstanding lineup of rails, that unfortunately they can barely keep up production as is, and now they are introducing a NEW rail?

I love DD, but I'm confused.

Noodles
06-11-12, 17:59
They did just send out an email discontinuing some products. My guess is that the rail changes are going to cut their 4-5 almost identical rails into maybe 2-3, would be easier for them to produce in volume. Just a guess.

Find ManBearPig!
06-11-12, 18:11
I have a RISII and think it's awesome, and I also have a DD vertical grip and think it is excellent as well quality wise.

I was looking over at the new flashhiders DD is offering, and at that price, I am certainly very intrigued by them as a potential replacement to my current A2 birdcage. However, I know nothing about them, and a quick search did not turn up anything about them.

Does anyone know anything about the new DD flashhider lineup?

JR TACTICAL
06-11-12, 18:26
I just ordered a DD V1 rifle and now I'm curious if the rifle will have the new features. I arrived today at my FFL and was unable to pick it up because the FFL transfer guy was not there today. I should have it in my hands tomorrow and will post pics if it has the new features.

I will keep my fingers crossed:p

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-11-12, 18:29
The rail appears to be similar to the Centurion as far as overall shape. I dont really understand the change to the FSB, but okay. Its good to see that they are still innovating, Im excited to hear about the merits of these new products.

Jaysop
06-11-12, 18:48
The only thing I can think of regarding the curved shape of the FSB is so it doesn't reflect as much light back threw an optic maybe. With the sun over your shoulder I've noticed more reflection in an ACOG. But never enough to warrant doing anything about it...

ForTehNguyen
06-11-12, 19:06
It looks like the FSB is slimmer, so it would be a tad lighter. The current FSB is a 5oz hunk of metal.

Sanpete
06-11-12, 19:59
http://i46.tinypic.com/20ua4o4.jpg

I like the rail improvements. Their other rails felt too egg shaped with the bottom rail being pushed so far down. This new one looks tucked up closer to the bore like a Larue. The lockup looks like it's a hybrid of the Lite and Omega X systems.

The FSB looks weak, and I've disagreed with how they've saved weight on certain components in the past (sacrifice integrity to be lighter, which is completely backwards from their catch phrase, imo). Hopefully this isn't going to be the same story.

shadow93
06-11-12, 20:02
It would be great if they could keep up with production before they start adding new products that aren't much different than their line up.:rolleyes:

kest_01
06-11-12, 20:14
So the overall theme here it seems is that DD makes geat kit already and they need to be able to make more of it now, forget about any innovation just keep pumping out the same shit.:rolleyes:, seems like if they wanted to grow their company and maybe grab even more market share than releasing new stuff would seem like a good idea.

!Nvasi0n
06-11-12, 20:23
I personally love it! There ain't nothing wrong with. The new FSP IMHO. Fresh design is fresh design...just embrace it, and get used to it! Most people would eat DD's poopoo anyhow...soon they'll be singing the graces too instead of boohooing about a curved FSP...

I'm also a HUGE fan of the markings on the URG...just more attention to detail.

Great Job DD! Just work on your production now!!! You seriously need to up your freaking production! Sales ain't gonna slow down any time soon. With more and more people getting into the game they'll soon be buying your rifles...if they can actually put their hands on one.

I went to my dealer to throw down some money on a DDM4V5...if I remember right I do believe he told me (after getting off the phone with DD) that the wait was over 12 months...WTF with as much as the MSRP is in one of your products, buy some new damn production equipment.

Great work though, I'll soon have you...just not in 2012 like I had hoped :(

justin_247
06-11-12, 20:33
I dont really understand the change to the FSB, but okay.

The DD Lite, Omega, and M4 rails, along with the Centurion rails, are tall because the bayonet lug on the FSB protrudes so far below the barrel. In order to make a more round rail (the bottom rail is closer to the barrel), along the lines of what KAC and LaRue produce, and still use the FSB, they had to develop a new one that eliminated the bayonet lug.

I look forward to handling this new rail. A rail with the dimensions of the LaRue rails but with the bolt up system on the DD Lite/RIS rails is perfect, in my opinion.

So the overall theme here it seems is that DD makes geat kit already and they need to be able to make more of it now, forget about any innovation just keep pumping out the same shit.:rolleyes:, seems like if they wanted to grow their company and maybe grab even more market share than releasing new stuff would seem like a good idea.

DD rifles are selling faster than they can produce them. Just for upper receiver assemblies, most companies cannot keep them in stock. They're doing just fine...

justin_247
06-11-12, 20:47
From here (http://www.ammoland.com/2012/06/11/daniel-defense-ddm4-rail/):

Black Creek, GA --(Ammoland.com)- Following months of product development, Daniel Defense is happy to announce the unveiling of the new DDM4 Rail.

Standard on most Daniel Defense rifles, this addition to the Daniel Defense family of products offers many benefits.

The DDM4 Rail is designed using our patented Bolt-*-Up System. Instead of 6 bolts, the DDM4 Rail only requires 4 bolts. The lower rail in this model is closer to the barrel and was designed for the most optimal ergonomics.

“This one-*-piece design has a more narrow profile which lends itself to better weapon manipulation,” says Jordan Hunter, Marketing Manager at Daniel Defense. Front and Rear Sling Adaptors are integrated into both the left and right side rails. The DDM4 Rail™ measures 1.9” wide, 2.165” high with an inner diameter of 1.08”.

Aside from the slimmer, more compact design of the rail, the length required for each DDM4 model will not change. Versions traditionally offered with an Omega X or Omega X with FSP will be replaced with the DDM4 Rail™ with same length & option based on the barrel configuration. Aesthetically, one can expect the new option to meet or exceed expectations.

Unlike the other rail systems offered by Daniel Defense, the DDM4 Rail will only be offered as part of a complete rifle or upper receiver group and will not be available for individual sale. Versions being replaced will continue to be offered to customers through dealers, by phone or online at www.DanielDefense.com.

Two of the Daniel Defense versions will remain unchanged. The DDM4v7 series will continue to be built utilizing the Daniel Defense Modular Float Rail 12.0. Production of the Daniel Defense MK18 will will continue to include the rail designed for US SOCOM, the RIS II.

Dimensions, for comparison purposes (width x height):

DD New DDM4: 1.9" x 2.165"
DD RIS II: 2.23" x 2.22"
DD Lite: 2.06" x 2.42"
DD M4: 1.94" x 2.42"
DD Omega: 1.9" x 2.42"
Centurion C4: 2.1" x 2.38"
Troy TRX: 2.2" x 2.44"
LaRue: 2.0" x 2.22"
KAC RAS: 2.2" x 2.3"

Vgex2
06-11-12, 20:51
From here (http://www.ammoland.com/2012/06/11/daniel-defense-ddm4-rail/):

Dimensions, for comparison purposes (width x height):

DD New DDM4: 1.9" x 2.165"
DD RIS II: 2.23" x 2.22"
DD Lite: 2.06" x 2.42"
DD M4: 1.94" x 2.42"
DD Omega: 1.9" x 2.42"
Centurion C4: 2.1" x 2.38"
Troy TRX: 2.2" x 2.44"
LaRue: 2.0" x 2.22"
KAC RAS: 2.2" x 2.3"

I think I have found my new rail.

If it's ever In-Stock...

Col_Crocs
06-11-12, 21:00
I think I have found my new rail.

If it's ever In-Stock...

I too really like what Im seeing so far, minus the one-piece part but unfortunately, from Justin's post: "Unlike the other rail systems offered by Daniel Defense, the DDM4 Rail will only be offered as part of a complete rifle or upper receiver group and will not be available for individual sale. Versions being replaced will continue to be offered to customers through dealers, by phone or online at www.DanielDefense.com."

Vgex2
06-11-12, 21:04
Damn!!

KrampusArms
06-11-12, 22:36
The only thing I can think of regarding the curved shape of the FSB is so it doesn't reflect as much light back threw an optic maybe. With the sun over your shoulder I've noticed more reflection in an ACOG. But never enough to warrant doing anything about it...

Exactly my speculation too. Beat me to it.

Jake Bauer
06-11-12, 23:00
I think the new FSB looks goofy, and are they really stamping "DDM4V1" and "5.56" on the upper? I think that looks funny too. Wont stop loving them though!

Bowser
06-11-12, 23:04
This would be nice as a V5V1...

Snake101st
06-12-12, 00:23

Just had to say I love your GDI avatar, sorry for the off-topic post. Carry on and down with NOD!

rob_s
06-12-12, 04:44
The DD Lite, Omega, and M4 rails, along with the Centurion rails, are tall because the bayonet lug on the FSB protrudes so far below the barrel. In order to make a more round rail (the bottom rail is closer to the barrel), along the lines of what KAC and LaRue produce, and still use the FSB, they had to develop a new one that eliminated the bayonet lug.

Exactly.

Whaaaaah, I NEED a fixed FSB for all my combat operations.
Whaaaaah, I don't like that the bottom rail is so far from the bore.

So DD comes up with something that, combined, addresses these issues, and we get...

Whaaaaah, I don't like that they redesigned the FSB!

Redbeardsong
06-12-12, 05:34
I like the new rail. It looks like this is shaped more like the RIS II rail.

Guinnessman
06-12-12, 07:12
It looks like DD has increased their MSRP price according to their website. It will be interesting to see the actual price in stores.

High Tower
06-12-12, 09:31
It looks like DD has increased their MSRP price according to their website. It will be interesting to see the actual price in stores.

Yes, they did make a small price increase. DD dealers have to sell around MAP pricing so in theory there should be standard pricing.

Doc Safari
06-12-12, 10:05

Not to knock DD's quality, which everyone knows is there, but one reason I stuck with BCM is that they offer simple rifles with few upgrades so you can customize them as you wish.

Nothing wrong with DD's offerings, but an increase in production might have been more welcome than more options.

How about it, DD? How about a simple, old-school weapon at a low price that the owner can customize himself as funds allow? And how about making a lot of them so people don't have to wait months?

txf15crewchief
06-12-12, 12:08
Not to knock DD's quality, which everyone knows is there, but one reason I stuck with BCM is that they offer simple rifles with few upgrades so you can customize them as you wish.

Nothing wrong with DD's offerings, but an increase in production might have been more welcome than more options.

How about it, DD? How about a simple, old-school weapon at a low price that the owner can customize himself as funds allow? And how about making a lot of them so people don't have to wait months?

Seems like they are just trying to streamline production to me. Hopefully this leads to reduced times in the future. Some people prefer having a ready to go rifle right off the shelf. I for one am glad they are continuing to innovate

Marler5811
06-12-12, 14:14
Alright, here it goes. We have made some enhancements to our entire line of DDM4s. All DD rifles will now sport our DD Flash Suppressor. The new flash hider is CNC machined and SBN Coated. It does a much better job at hiding flash than a standard A2. All rifles that have an FSB will now don our new CNC Machined FSB with horizontal ridges on the rear surface which aid in glare reduction. Our Enhanced FSBs are also SBN Coated and they do not have a bayonet lug. The biggest change is the new rail system, called the DDM4 Rail. This rail system will replace the Omega X Rail on previous models. It’s a one piece design that has features from several of our other models. It features our patented Bolt-Up System but with a four bolt pattern instead of six. The lower rail is tucked in closer to the barrel more like the RIS II Rail System. And it has the overall width of the Omega X. It also features sling swivel attachment points at the front and rear of the rail system on both sides.

These changes are effective immediately. Rifles are now shipping with these enhancements.

The rail systems are only available on rifles and uppers. They will not be sold individually on the commercial market.

Horsehide
06-12-12, 14:17
Once again it shows you cannot please everyone...
I cannot say I consider these changes as earth-shattering, but I doubt the guys at DD would waste their time on "fluff".
Competitive shooters seem to like thinner rails, but I cannot find anything wrong with the Omega X.
Curious about the new flash-hider though...

Marler5811
06-12-12, 14:50
Definitely nothing wrong with the Omega X Rail. A lot of shooters, including myself, have come to love it. However, The DDM4 Rail combines the best features of the Omega X Rail and our renowned RIS II which is produced for US SOCOM. The DDM4 Rail will maintain the slim and lighweight design that is expected of Daniel Defense Products, while offering the end user improved ergonomics.

bluecanary
06-12-12, 16:32
Alright, here it goes. We have made some enhancements to our entire line of DDM4s.

Thanks for jumping in.

Tough Question: can you comment on turn around times? DDM4 V5?

Marler5811
06-12-12, 19:03
No problem. And your question isn't too tough. All 2012 rifles are built on a schedule. We know how many rifle we are building each week and of which model. Give me a call and I can direct you to dealers that are in the queue to receive these over the next few weeks. 912-851-3251

SpankMonkey
06-12-12, 19:11
Joe does DD build just a basic rifle, one without a FF rail?

ffhounddog
06-12-12, 19:41
Daniel Defense XVM is the basic rifle in midlength

dhena81
06-13-12, 04:10
Joe,

Are there any plans on selling these rails individually in the future?

Larry Vickers
06-13-12, 06:26
Hey guys here's a hint; remember that torture test on a DDM4 last year on TacTV ? The thing that had everybody talking within the industry and a few people copying? Well DD studied what happened to the rifle during the test and some of that data was used to tweak this new offering- I have been watching its development for awhile now and I personally can't wait to get my hands on one- it should be, in many ways, the best overall setup to date from DD

When you make a quality product, regardless of what it is ( automobile, computer, carbine, optic, etc.) refinements occur in an evolutionary way instead of a revolutionary one- so as to not lose the merit of the base product

Case in point; look at Mercedes Benz over the last 25 years

DD ain't perfect, no one is, but I'll tell you this- they make a damn good carbine; you certainly won't go wrong buying one

Be safe

LAV

Marler5811
06-13-12, 07:15
Joe does DD build just a basic rifle, one without a FF rail?

We did in the past, but no longer do. The carbine version was our XV and the middy was the XVM. All current production rifle have a rail system.

Marler5811
06-13-12, 07:16
Joe,

No. The DDM4 Rail will be offered exclusively on our rifles and uppers.

ffhounddog
06-13-12, 07:42
Joe is that a 16 inch upper a midlength with a DDM4 rail?

Are you going away from using carbine barrels and focusing on mid length for most of the production?

Marler5811
06-13-12, 08:24
Joe is that a 16 inch upper a midlength with a DDM4 rail?

Are you going away from using carbine barrels and focusing on mid length for most of the production?

The rifle pictured is our DDM4v1. It has a Carbine Length Gas System with FSB and our DDM4 Rail 12.0 FSP.

Our Midlength varients are the v3, v5, and v7. Our middys are in very high demand but we don't foresee these beeing our only offerings. Carbines will certainly be in our offerings for years to come.

S/F

Joe

SomeOtherGuy
06-13-12, 08:38

Just curious - why? Is there something especially difficult about installing it?

Marler5811
06-13-12, 08:49
Just curious - why? Is there something especially difficult about installing it?

Installation is pretty straight forward. I'ts as easy as our AR15 Lite Rails. The reason we will not be offering these commercially is because our production capacity is limited. We can only produce enough to support rifle and URG orders.

eternal24k
06-13-12, 09:26
That's interesting, I was recently trying to float some ideas for an HK styled standard front sight post/gas block for AR-15s, looking forward to more pics

E-man930
06-13-12, 10:09
Marler5811, how about some pics of the new enhancements above and beyond the CG renders... I for one would really like to see them in the flesh.

dhena81
06-13-12, 11:43

That's disappointing to say the least. Looks like I can stay backordered on the RIS II M4A1 rail :(

GeorgiaBoy
06-13-12, 11:59
That's disappointing to say the least. Looks like I can stay backordered on the RIS II M4A1 rail :(

The RIS II is still the gold standard of rail systems..

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-13-12, 12:25
Joe,

I was under the impression that these rails only work with the proprietary FSB from DD as well.

After more review, I like the idea of the new FSB. Shave some weight, get rid of the useless (for almost everyone) lug, and stop the glare that some people have reported as being a problem.

Sanpete
06-13-12, 12:44
I was under the impression that these rails only work with the proprietary FSB from DD as well.

Looks like as long as your FSB lacks a bayo lug (and maybe the sling mount?) then it would be compatible.

Chris17404
06-13-12, 13:37
Daniel Defense,

Could you please expand on one of the new features you mention in your magazine ad for the new DDM4:

"Optimized erosion-dampening gas port"

How does this differ from the standard carbine-length gas port? Thanks.

Chris

High Tower
06-13-12, 22:02
No problem. And your question isn't too tough. All 2012 rifles are built on a schedule. We know how many rifle we are building each week and of which model. Give me a call and I can direct you to dealers that are in the queue to receive these over the next few weeks. 912-851-3251

Coming from a retailer's perspective, this schedule Joe mentions is amazing and should revolutionize the industry (not that it will)

I see some of the bitching here, but the fact of the matter is that demand is far higher than it has ever been. Getting nearly anything is a chore and DD is no different. The sooner your local dealer got in on the schedule, the more likely they were to get a steady supply of rifles. It sucks that it is hard to get stuff right now, but at least the DD folks made it easier to figure out. Considering that with everyone else, you place the order and wait with little to no idea when the order gets filled.

As Larry said, they may not be perfect, but they are a damn sight better at delivery than many of the others.

Marler5811
06-14-12, 07:54
Daniel Defense,

Could you please expand on one of the new features you mention in your magazine ad for the new DDM4:

"Optimized erosion-dampening gas port"

How does this differ from the standard carbine-length gas port? Thanks.

Chris

Chris,

This means that we chamfer the gas port of the barrel on the bore side reducing the the effects of erosion thus prolonging the life of the barrel.

HeavyDuty
06-14-12, 09:19
Alright, here it goes. We have made some enhancements to our entire line of DDM4s. All DD rifles will now sport our DD Flash Suppressor. The new flash hider is CNC machined and SBN Coated. It does a much better job at hiding flash than a standard A2. All rifles that have an FSB will now don our new CNC Machined FSB with horizontal ridges on the rear surface which aid in glare reduction. Our Enhanced FSBs are also SBN Coated and they do not have a bayonet lug. The biggest change is the new rail system, called the DDM4 Rail. This rail system will replace the Omega X Rail on previous models. It’s a one piece design that has features from several of our other models. It features our patented Bolt-Up System but with a four bolt pattern instead of six. The lower rail is tucked in closer to the barrel more like the RIS II Rail System. And it has the overall width of the Omega X. It also features sling swivel attachment points at the front and rear of the rail system on both sides.

These changes are effective immediately. Rifles are now shipping with these enhancements.

The rail systems are only available on rifles and uppers. They will not be sold individually on the commercial market.

Joe, will your barrels use the new FSB or continue to be offered with the old one?

HeavyDuty
06-14-12, 09:20
That's interesting, I was recently trying to float some ideas for an HK styled standard front sight post/gas block for AR-15s, looking forward to more pics

I would be all over a closed ear HK style sight on a standard FSB.

rob_s
06-14-12, 09:25

Awesome!

I still recommend the 6720 for those starting out, but ya'll are at the top of the list for someone that wants to start out with more bells and whistles. Those changes you describe on a LW barrel profile would be just about exactly what I'd be looking for if I were buying a factory gun for myself today. The smaller OD of the handguard, and the QD points front AND rear on the sides really make it for me. I'd stick an H-1 on one of your mounts and a BFG or SOB sling on it and be quite happy with it as-is.

JasonM
06-14-12, 09:47
Some "in-the-flesh" rails:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/382441_444835455535325_1211173990_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/575257_444867755532095_1109073928_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/537464_444867718865432_1426585763_n.jpg

Marler5811
06-14-12, 09:51
Joe, will your barrels use the new FSB or continue to be offered with the old one?

Barrel assemblies will still come with standard F Marked FSBs. The DD FSB is only going to come on guns and uppers at this point.

djegators
06-14-12, 10:03
We did in the past, but no longer do. The carbine version was our XV and the middy was the XVM. All current production rifle have a rail system.

I just got an announcement from Brownells:

"Brownells, Inc.
Keep an eye on our website for a Daniel Defense exclusive! We will be carrying Daniel Defense Upper Receiver Groups with Chrome Lined Hammer Forged Barrels. These will first be available in Carbine Length M4 profile or Mid-Length Government profile. The Upper Receivers will ship without a bolt carrier group, charging handle, and handguard."

Is this a clearance thing of old stock then?

Marler5811
06-14-12, 10:41
I just got an announcement from Brownells:

"Brownells, Inc.
Keep an eye on our website for a Daniel Defense exclusive! We will be carrying Daniel Defense Upper Receiver Groups with Chrome Lined Hammer Forged Barrels. These will first be available in Carbine Length M4 profile or Mid-Length Government profile. The Upper Receivers will ship without a bolt carrier group, charging handle, and handguard."

Is this a clearance thing of old stock then?

These will be new production uppers offered exclusivesly through Brownells.

ffhounddog
06-14-12, 11:24
Thanks Joe for all the good information.

I know streamlining is a good way to do business and getting the options all in a package gives some folks sticker shock at first but if they are going to add a rail, sights, lights, and sling and the like it adds up anyway and your package is cheaper and the person in the know knows that.

Personnaly I like flip ups but your sight is good for the initial carbine and it works. Used one for a year and I like it just finally got red dots or Acogs for all my Rifles finally.

justin_247
06-14-12, 21:49
Some more CAD pics from DD:

http://media.danieldefense.com/download.php?d=files/HotLink/&f=DDM4Rail_12_FSP-1.jpg
http://media.danieldefense.com/download.php?d=files/HotLink/&f=DDM4Rail_12_FSP-2.jpg
http://media.danieldefense.com/download.php?d=files/HotLink/&f=DDM4Rail_12_FSP-3.jpg
http://media.danieldefense.com/download.php?d=files/HotLink/&f=DDM4Rail_12_FSP-4.jpg
http://media.danieldefense.com/download.php?d=files/HotLink/&f=DDM4Rail_12_FSP-5.jpg
http://media.danieldefense.com/download.php?d=files/HotLink/&f=DDM4_UPDATED.jpg

Vgex2
06-14-12, 22:00
I want that rail in a 9" or 10" something fierce.

Larry Vickers
06-14-12, 22:06
From a technical point of view a hooded front sight with the combination of an aperture rear sight and elevation adjustable front sight is a bad combination- your brain wants to center circle on circle ( aperture with hood) but if your front sight is not exactly in the middle elevation wise ( and it rarely ever is once zeroed) then your front sight is either high or low causing shots to go high or low as a result

HK used the circle on circle concept to their advantage because the front site is fixed and not elevation adjustable

The other problem with a front sight hood is it interferes with sight picture when using a red dot sight- in flip up sights this leads to the habit of running the sights folded down which takes away one of the reasons for having back up iron sights - to use them in case the red dot dies or is too dim

Like my buddy Ken Hackathorn said - they are called 'flip UP' sights ( not flip down) for a reason - they are meant to be up whenever possible

The hooded front site post causes more problems than it solves- DD may eventually make one ( I don't know) but it certainly won't be because I am pushing them too

Cheers

LAV

Sanpete
06-14-12, 22:58
Mr. Marler, at the bottom of page 3, JasonM posted a picture of the rail with the mount and barrel nut separated. The barrel nut appears to be similar to the previous generation of barrel nuts from the LITE/Omega X series of rail systems.

Can you comment on this? Will the old DD barrel nut wrench work on this new rail system, or is it different?

If different, will you be offering the new tool? Thank you.

txf15crewchief
06-15-12, 02:14
Does DD plan to offer the new FSB separately for sale? The enhanced design seems like it would be pretty attractive for use by those of us that prefer a fixed FSB on carbines.

Marler5811
06-15-12, 07:34
Mr. Marler, at the bottom of page 3, JasonM posted a picture of the rail with the mount and barrel nut separated. The barrel nut appears to be similar to the previous generation of barrel nuts from the LITE/Omega X series of rail systems.

Can you comment on this? Will the old DD barrel nut wrench work on this new rail system, or is it different?

If different, will you be offering the new tool? Thank you.

The DDM4 Rail utilizes the same barrel nut as our AR15 Lite Rail and RIS II rail systems. Our bolt up system barrel nut wrench is what is used for installation and removal.

Marler5811
06-15-12, 07:40
Does DD plan to offer the new FSB separately for sale? The enhanced design seems like it would be pretty attractive for use by those of us that prefer a fixed FSB on carbines.

The DD FSB is only going to be available on our v1, v2, and v3 uppers and complete rifles. It will not be sold commercialy.

uniform64
06-15-12, 09:51
Just curious as how the one piece rail is installed with the FSB. I s the FSB pinned? Rail looks good. Will ther be Calif version with a BB?

Thanks

Marler5811
06-15-12, 11:10
Just curious as how the one piece rail is installed with the FSB. I s the FSB pinned? Rail looks good. Will ther be Calif version with a BB?

Thanks

Installation of the new DDM4 Rail 12.0 FSP is very similar to the installation of our AR15 Lite Rail 12.0 FSP. Once the Bolt-Up Plate and barrel nut are installed, you have to drop the FSB into the pocket of the rail sytsem and then install the gas tube through the rear of the rail system. Then you slide the rail system and FSB over the barrel all at the same time. At this poing you would install the FSB taper pins then bolt up the rail system. Last, you would install the gas tube roll pin and flash hider and you're finished.

California Compliant Rifles in these new configurations are certainly going to be available. In fact, there are probably some already on the way to dealers in CA.

uniform64
06-15-12, 13:31
Awesome! Thanks for that info. I'm a lazzy ass so I like buying off the rack.