PDA

View Full Version : A little advice, not a beat down

DogRanger
06-11-12, 21:14
This is going to be rough after seeing that Bushmaster thread but here I go... I have two BM from 2000-2001 with fixed carry handles, which flat top upper should I get so I can use optics. Thanks guys, I do respect the advice here...

caelumatra
06-11-12, 21:22
Well what are your intentions for the rifle?
What type of optics?
What's your budget?
Are you wanting to retain the barrel or swap the complete upper out?

DogRanger
06-11-12, 21:58
Just looking for a stripped upper for now..thanks

RogerinTPA
06-11-12, 22:23
Any quality upper (BCM, Colt, DD or LMT) of your choice will do. I'd also get 2 new BCM BCGs for them.

If you are married to your weapons and don't want to trade up, I'd start by reading the thread "Oh No, I bought an RRA, OLY, Stag before I new better" sticky. Learn how to properly inspect them for common problems they're known for and make them more reliable. Look for mostly poor, or non staked items (Castle nut and gas key). Sell the BM uppers on ARFCOM.

DogRanger
06-12-12, 04:14
Thanks for the advice. I will look into one of those uppers for sure. I 'm not saying or wanting to start a "my BM is as good as -------".
I have a frew thousand rounds through these without a problem and money dictates a least exspencive way to a flat top upper.

Col_Crocs
06-12-12, 04:31
Your barrels probably don't have M4 feedramps so make sure you get the right upper. I don't know about LMT and DD but BCM has non-M4 feedramp uppers. They're out of stock at the moment though.

polymorpheous
06-12-12, 05:11
As mentioned, make sure the feed ramps match.
Also, the Bushmaster will not have the correct front sight base for a flat top upper receiver.
You may or may. It have trouble zeroing it.
If you do, you will need to buy an extended front sight post.
I believe Bushmaster sells them.

Markasaurus
06-12-12, 09:01
Assuming the only problem with the uppers you have is the fixed carry handle-what's wrong with simply mounting the optic on the carry handle? Assuming the handle already has the hole - you will be adding a riser to a flat top anyway. I actually added a screw on carry handle to my flat top Stag. I mount my weaver 1X3 scope on that using the mount designed for that purpose. The eye relief and height is fine, only a tiny bit higher then flat top plus riser.

I'd suggest mounting the optic on the carry handle, at least give it a try. If you don't like it you can always return the mount.

RogerinTPA
06-12-12, 09:40
Assuming the only problem with the uppers you have is the fixed carry handle-what's wrong with simply mounting the optic on the carry handle? Assuming the handle already has the hole - you will be adding a riser to a flat top anyway. I actually added a screw on carry handle to my flat top Stag. I mount my weaver 1X3 scope on that using the mount designed for that purpose. The eye relief and height is fine, only a tiny bit higher then flat top plus riser.

I'd suggest mounting the optic on the carry handle, at least give it a try. If you don't like it you can always return the mount.

It has been known for many many years that mounting an optic to the carrying handle is less than desirable for several reasons. It is uncomfortable to operate, optic is way too high, and results in a "chin" weld, instead of a "cheek" weld, in order to achieve a proper sight picture for most users. A variable which goes against conventional shooting techniques that most people are trained on. You can get "used to it", as many folks in the military have done way back in the day, before the advent of flat top receivers, but the result would be sub optimal and inefficient for serious social purposes if the need should arise.

skullworks
06-12-12, 11:26
And in addition to what RogerinTPA said; if you choose a "Goose Neck" mount, be prepared that it will act as a tuning fork every time the rifle is fired.

DogRanger
06-12-12, 13:43
I tried the carry handle mount. RogerinTPA hit the nail on the head...I also shot a couple of friends flat tops with optics, one was Eoth and the other Acog {sp}. I see the advantages...

Tzook
06-12-12, 14:58
While you could replace just the upper receiver and keep your barrel, bcg, etc... It would make more sense for you to sell the complete upper and get an entirely new one. I think you'll find most the important goings on of an AR happen in the upper receiver, and buying a quality complete upper will ensure you're good to go.

Obviously, having a BM lower and having a Noveske lower aren't at all in the same league, but you aren't nearly as likely to have an issue with the lower as you are the upper.

skullworks
06-12-12, 15:01
Tzook has some good advice there...

DogRanger
06-12-12, 15:16
That advice is sound advice and I will be looking into it. I like the idea..Maybe doing one at a time well be easier on the wallet...

Tzook
06-12-12, 15:37
The best part about it is that your Bushmaster upper really isn't worth much less than a BCM or Colt upper. Check out Bravo Company's website, you'll find their offerings are much cheaper than you might imagine.