PDA

View Full Version : Noveske SBR: Suppressor mount un-screwing common? Should I pin?

WS6
06-12-12, 03:26
I'm ordering an SBR, and unlike my 14.5", it is not normally permanently pinned. I am going to be running a Surefire FA556-212 suppressor on a 212A flash-hider mount. Noveske is the company I am buying from, and I know they do top-notch work (They built my 14.5 :cool: ). I know they will correctly torque the mount, use Rocksett maybe, even.

Anyway, if it is correctly attached, as I know Noveske will, is it likely to shoot loose, and should I have it pinned, or is there little to no chance of that occurring?

12.5" w/SB using a Carbine-length gas system, FWIW.

(I ask this because of my experience with shotgun chokes. I finally sold my M4S90 and bought an M1014 and don't have that problem, anymore....)

Mikey
06-12-12, 03:43
With clean threads, rocksett, and proper torque. It shouldn't need to be pinned.

Mike

WS6
06-12-12, 03:58
With clean threads, rocksett, and proper torque. It shouldn't need to be pinned.

Mike

Good. I have every confidence that Noveske knows how to, and does this, correctly. I just wanted to know whether or not correct procedure of installation would render it "temporarily permanent" or not. I ASSume they do use Rocksett.

Iraqgunz
06-12-12, 04:57
There is little doubt in my mind that Noveske will install whatever mount, brake, etc.. as per the OEM instructions.

I have no idea why you would think otherwise. I would have guessed that you have been around long enough to know their reputation.

I am sure that they will use Rocksett as many manufacturers recommend it. If for some reason it needs to come off, you can soak it in water overnight and it should break loose.

Good. I have every confidence that Noveske knows how to, and does this, correctly. I just wanted to know whether or not correct procedure of installation would render it "temporarily permanent" or not. I ASSume they do use Rocksett.

WS6
06-12-12, 05:27
There is little doubt in my mind that Noveske will install whatever mount, brake, etc.. as per the OEM instructions.

I have no idea why you would think otherwise. I would have guessed that you have been around long enough to know their reputation.

I am sure that they will use Rocksett as many manufacturers recommend it. If for some reason it needs to come off, you can soak it in water overnight and it should break loose.

I know and stated Noveske is beyond reproach in my mind. I want to know if it's a common thing to look out for, the mount coming loose. I did not imply, or intend to imply, that Noveske would do anything but the best/correct thing. I have never owned an un-pinned suppressor mount before. I do not know what to expect from "the nature of the beast", and I wanted to know if it was something I needed to really keep an eye on, or not.

wahoo95
06-12-12, 05:37
I know and stated Noveske is beyond reproach in my mind. I want to know if it's a common thing to look out for, the mount coming loose. I did not imply, or intend to imply, that Noveske would do anything but the best/correct thing. I have never owned an un-pinned suppressor mount before. I do not know what to expect from "the nature of the beast", and I wanted to know if it was something I needed to really keep an eye on, or not.

Who currently pins silencer mounts as standard procedure? All that I know of use rocksett as a standard.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Ironman8
06-12-12, 05:54
Do you check chair legs every time you're about to sit down? :p

WS6
06-12-12, 06:08
Do you check chair legs every time you're about to sit down? :p

Do you own a chair with $1400 legs that took over half a year to get delivered? :p

Javelin
06-12-12, 08:14
Why is this thread alive?

WS6
06-12-12, 08:37
Why is this thread alive?

It's a serious question of a technical nature born of my ignorance at having never owned a suppressed SBR before. If it offends you, don't read it. If you cannot refrain, then report it, and a moderator will decide what should be done with it.

Still open to any more feed-back. It seems like the only people I have read about having issues attached the mount themselves, not a competent company, and not people with a lot of experience.

Todd.K
06-12-12, 09:48
I only know of Rocksett mounts coming loose when the barrel and mount were not properly cleaned.

WS6
06-12-12, 10:07
I only know of Rocksett mounts coming loose when the barrel and mount were not properly cleaned.

That puts it to bed for me. Thanks! :cool:

WS6
06-19-12, 09:09

I watched Surefire's installation video, and yeah, they harped pretty heavily on the cleaning aspect.

WS6
07-12-12, 21:37
Wow.
I bought some Rocksett myself just to play with, and there is a 24 hour cure time before the weapon can be fired. I just placed some on a quarter, to see if my lubricant of choice (Froglube) would react badly with it (It dissolves in water, and noone really knows what is in Froglube, so I figured I would see how they got along).

Anyway, I placed the quarter on the stove burner (I love my cheap apartment) and turned it on "high" to see for myself how it withstood heat. This with about 4-5 hours cure-time. The Rocksett was hard/slick to the touch, and looked clear like a drop of water. After a minute or two, it had turned black and "grown" exponentially, like a hard plastic foam elevated 1/2" off the surface of the quarter.

They mean what they say when they say not to shoot the weapon for 24 hours! Has anyone ever done this and seen what it looks like on a weapon when instructions are not followed? I was kinda surprised.

floyd
07-17-12, 12:27
Noveske does use rocksett when installing supressor mounts. I had a similar concern when I bought a 12.5 SS with a 212 flash supressor mounted from them. One thing they didn't use was the thicker "beveled washer"shim that comes with the 212 flash supressor. I guess there barrles don't need it. It makes for a very clean set up. They just used one of the thin indexing shims. I've also got a 10.5 noveske riss ii with 212 surefire can I shoot full auto 50% of the time and no looseness. I installed that flash supressor, rocksett etc. I removed the beveled washer and used only the thin indexing shim. Not loose after 2000rds. and some very hot barrels.

justlikeanyoneelse
07-17-12, 23:11
This has happened to me but it was my fault, Surefire recommends, after it cools to the touch, to dismount and mount the suppressor after firing to prevent carbon from making removal very difficult. Well turns out I waited a bit too long and the flash hider "stuck" to the suppressor, I applied a lot of force and managed to get it off but at the cost of the hider coming with it. Just don't wait too long I guess is the moral of the story. I thoroughly cleaned and reapplied the hider with Rocksett and no problems till this day. Hope this helps.

Exact specs, Surefire Mini (new lock ring) with 212A flash hider.

Good Luck

WS6
07-18-12, 01:00
This has happened to me but it was my fault, Surefire recommends, after it cools to the touch, to dismount and mount the suppressor after firing to prevent carbon from making removal very difficult. Well turns out I waited a bit too long and the flash hider "stuck" to the suppressor, I applied a lot of force and managed to get it off but at the cost of the hider coming with it. Just don't wait too long I guess is the moral of the story. I thoroughly cleaned and reapplied the hider with Rocksett and no problems till this day. Hope this helps.

Exact specs, Surefire Mini (new lock ring) with 212A flash hider.

Good Luck

Who attached your Surefire mount initially?

How was the mount and barrel cleaned and de-greased, if you were present for the installation?

justlikeanyoneelse
07-18-12, 01:51
Initially my gunsmith, he had seen the Surefire vid and followed it to a tee, he taught me what to do If I ever wanted to attach another hider or brake.

Yea I was, he used 91% Iso Alcohol and several cleaning patches. It took a good 20 minutes to get all the gunk off. Then when patches came off clean he applied a couple of drops of rocksett on both threads and attached the 212A. (I cleaned the 212A myself with the alcohol for added measure.) Then when I attached I repeated the process only this time I added a lot of rocksett to both the hider and barrel. 728 rounds in and no problems.

Who attached your Surefire mount initially?

How was the mount and barrel cleaned and de-greased, if you were present for the installation?