PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor Question

kyrin88
06-12-12, 09:23
Hi,
I am gathering intel in order to buy a suppressor. The thing is, I know nothing about suppressors other than video games and movies. I know the whole registration process because I already have sbs, so i don't need advice on that. I recently bought a factory threaded glock 19 barrel with some other goodies for it. If I were o buy a suppressor out of state, would I have to pay 2x $200 tax stamps? I would like to know what suppressors can be had for under $600 that has good sound reduction, durability and is user serviceable.( did I cover main parts?) . Please let me know what you guys think. Im looking to purchase one while I still have the extra funds. Thanks

M4Guru
06-12-12, 09:30
2X transfer fees depends on if the suppressor is on a Form 3 at a dealer or is on a Form 4 in private hands, assuming your can is out of state.

Form 3: transfers free to your dealer
Form 4: transfers for $200 to your dealer

Then you fill out another F4 from your SOT holder to you.

From a manufacturer you will only pay the $200 fee from your SOT holder to you via the Form 4. From an in-state seller it's a $200 F4 from individual to individual.

So, if you planned on 2x fees you can get and AAC TiRant .45 with the $200 you save, and it will suppress 9/40/45 using different mount adapters on the can.

If you're still around $600 I'd look at the AAC Evo 9.

WS6
06-12-12, 09:35
2X transfer fees depends on if the suppressor is on a Form 3 at a dealer or is on a Form 4 in private hands.

Form 3: transfers free to your dealer
Form 4: transfers for $200 to your dealer

Then you fill out another F4 from your SOT holder to you.

From a manufacturer you will only pay the fee from your SOT holder to you via the Form 4.

So, if you planned on 2x fees you can get and AAC TiRant .45 with the $200 you save, and it will suppress 9/40/45 using different month adapters on the can.

Put another way, isn't that 1-1.5 years wait time instead of 6-8 months wait time?

M4Guru
06-12-12, 09:41
Beats me, I'm not sure if they transfer faster to a dealer.

The market for used cans out of state usually makes it a really bad deal factoring in the extra transfer time and fee. You pretty much have to give the can away.

kyrin88
06-12-12, 09:42

I was looking at this, but is it user serviceable? It does not mention it on their website. My Glock barrel is threaded 13.5x1 LH, would I be able to get an adaptor for the EVO for that thread? I just want to screw on, screw off. Mr. Miyagi's philosophy.:)

M4Guru
06-12-12, 09:55
You just change the piston for different thread pitches, too easy. Screw on screw off, like you said.

I don't think the Evo is user serviceable although shooting jacketed rounds, and the likely volume of fire, this wouldn't really be an issue like on a .22. There are companies that will mod the Evos to be user serviceable at home for a small fee.

The TiRant can be disassembled by the user.

kyrin88
06-12-12, 12:58
So after some research, I went with the silencer co. Osprey 9mm. I went by my class 3 dealer and he gave me a sweet deal so I took e leap and bought it. Even though it's not user serviceable, he assured me that it wouldn't be a problem for my simple use( no full auto etc etc.) . We went to the back of shop and test fired 5 rnds and it was flawless, and very quiet IMO. Well I took a few shots with my phone of the silencer and it on the dealers gun. Here it is and please leave feedback on my purchase:D

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu149/kyrin88/8c631c3c.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu149/kyrin88/df2202dc.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu149/kyrin88/bb68c7f7.jpg

M4Guru
06-12-12, 13:24
Really nice cans. I have used a couple mounted on FNP45 Tactical's and was impressed. Nothing wrong with that one.

SteveL
06-12-12, 13:47
Does this can ride low enough on your pistol so as to not need taller sights?

kyrin88
06-12-12, 14:57
Does this can ride low enough on your pistol so as to not need taller sights?

No, that's what I like about it. I bought a pair of trijicon HD night sights and I don't think I'll have any difficulty with the sight picture. The can is very in line with the shape of the gun. It's pretty badass, but I hate that I have to wait 6 months to get my hands on it now.

Pappabear
06-12-12, 18:22
My opinion. Buy the CAN in state. You don't have to go out of state to buy a can. You live in Florida, come on.

Second, your first suppressor should be a AR15 suppressor. Pistol CAN are cool, but have limited usefulness. Cans on AR, you can run the piss out of them and enjoy them all day long.

On pistol you can't holster.......very cool, just not practical. IMHO.

Good luck whatever you choose. If you go pistol, I went AAC Ti-Rant.

kyrin88
06-13-12, 02:24
My opinion. Buy the CAN in state. You don't have to go out of state to buy a can. You live in Florida, come on.

Second, your first suppressor should be a AR15 suppressor. Pistol CAN are cool, but have limited usefulness. Cans on AR, you can run the piss out of them and enjoy them all day long.

On pistol you can't holster.......very cool, just not practical. IMHO.

Good luck whatever you choose. If you go pistol, I went AAC Ti-Rant.

I bought the osprey 9, read above posts. I shoot more pistol than rifle lately so I opted for the pistol can. My next can will definately be a 5.56 suppressor:D. I meant out of state in terms of buying online.

Pappabear
06-13-12, 02:42
Sorry, that's my fault trying to chime in via handhelds. The Ospry cans are very nice. I thought about one for my FN 45.

Good luck with your can. Is it very quiet? Another curiosity question on your pistol can. I had one that was very accurate, another was terrible. How well does it hold groups tight, and how much POI shift , if at all.

Eurodriver
06-13-12, 05:47

Where is Rob when you need him? :haha:

kyrin88
06-13-12, 07:58
Sorry, that's my fault trying to chime in via handhelds. The Ospry cans are very nice. I thought about one for my FN 45.

Good luck with your can. Is it very quiet? Another curiosity question on your pistol can. I had one that was very accurate, another was terrible. How well does it hold groups tight, and how much POI shift , if at all.

The can is quiet, especially when ran wet. I can't really speak for the accuracy and poi because we test fired into a catcher. From the reviews I have read and seen, the can holds pretty tight groups with little to no poi shift. I read a review Someone had posted and they said they shot a little low with it on the glock, but it was because he compensated for the grip angle of the glock.

Pappabear
06-13-12, 10:25
I would guess they shoot low because the weight is pulling barrel down ever so slightly. That's been my experience. An HK with precision rubber o ring helps that a bit.

Good luck with your can.