PDA

View Full Version : FNAR range report

LeipersForkFirearms
06-12-12, 12:12
Hey everyone, this is a follow up to my other thread "My New FNAR toy" as promised, sorry it took so long, we have been incredibly busy. Dont judge my shooting as this was a very hurried range trip

After hours of staring, tinkering, and researching I finally had time to hit the range. Early Sat Morning myself and few guys headed to see what this thing could do. I initially had set a grip pod on the rifle but upon setting up to shoot I found that it was too high for my liking and decided to part ways with it as seen here. (don't judge the looks, it was early ha)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n2_yQymhClw/T9dVxibTxRI/AAAAAAAAAp4/SxXI-Pa-B0k/s400/Jun+9+fnar.jpg

I was shooting Remington cor-lokt rounds for this as I had them laying round in the safe. Here in a few days I will be doing a complete ammunition comparison for this rifle with the Buffalo Bore Sniper .308s, Black Hills and a few other brands so stay tuned.

For my first shot I buried my shoulder into the rifle and grasped the pistol grip. The length of pull, sight picture and grip on the rifle feel very ergonomic. My breathing and heart rate are controlled, sight picture is very crisp and clear through the new Nikon.... I begin to steadily pull the trigger......The trigger slides easily and the pull feels very natural for this rifle....BANG!... The recoil is stiff but very manageable...I am in love with this gun.....my first shot is on the paper but way left......I adjust my bags and fiddle with the windage knobs on the Nikon 3-9x50 and let two more rounds fly......BAM..BAM....still low and left but a decent group for not trying........I adjust my windage again several crisp clicks and let two more fly, the holes are nearly on top of each other but getting close......a few more clicks, two more shots and windage is perfect......adjust elevation, single shot 1in high...Ill take it, time to move out to 50yds

25yd target
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ONSYinckgSo/T9dl9mI0mVI/AAAAAAAAAqE/Sk_ezIWdpc4/s320/jun+9+25yd+sight+in.jpg

I settle into the 50yd target, align the sights and let two fly in steady secession.....High and left....I let a third fly for good measure...not a bad group for being in a hurry. I adjust the elevation and fire another...still high and still left...a few more clicks, fire...1in high and left....the remaining shots are me dialing in the windage....the final two shots are dead center and nearly through the same hole....(ignore the outlying shot on the bottom, that was a friend trying out the rifle.)

50yd target
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-M7Q9ym4Agrg/T9dnncXH1rI/AAAAAAAAAqM/poGQk0469aE/s320/jun9+100yd.jpg

I move down the shed row to the 100yd range and set up my position.....I am running out of time to shoot and the 100yd range is crowded (casings are literally bouncing off of me as I shoot).......These shots are hurried and the wind begins to pick up blowing steady crosswind to the left......the first shot is high and left........I quickly adjust and fire again, still slightly left.....I dial down and adjust for the now steady wind....to much adjusting for the wind but the rounds hit side by side.....I fire again, this shot hits 1in low and left of my previous two (I blame the casing that bounced off my cheek as I fired from the guy next to me).....I dial my scope and fire another...dead center....now I really have to go....quick follow up hits center and slightly low (my fault, not the gun)

100yd target

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8E2liBu7QlI/T9dnpv2h2NI/AAAAAAAAAqU/eEUo0JkHyOo/s320/jun+9+50yd.jpg

My Initial impression of the FNAR is that this ugly duckling has turned into black beauty...I believe that this rifle is capable of producing sub MOA shots at distance with the right loads. This rifle is very comfortable to shoot, and the design doesn't leave much lacking. The FNAR has definitely earned a place in my safe and I cannot wait to get my hands on some good loads and do an actual ammunition test with some distance. Stay tuned!

I have a more in-depth review over at my site leipersforkfirearms.com

Devildawg2531
06-12-12, 13:47
Have you tried dissassembling to service and clean? That was the deal breaker on mine (that and mags not being available). It seemed anything beyond basic cleaning required it to be sent away for service.

LeipersForkFirearms
06-12-12, 15:57
I have yet to try and disassemble the rifle.....I keep hearing horror stories. I will do another write-up on that adventure when I have time to sit down and tackle it

ryr8828
06-12-12, 16:17
Have you tried dissassembling to service and clean? That was the deal breaker on mine (that and mags not being available). It seemed anything beyond basic cleaning required it to be sent away for service.

That's the same reason I got rid of mine.

gunnut284
06-14-12, 04:31
I've disassembled several Browning BARs (which appear to have the same action) and won't own one after having done so.

Devildawg2531
06-14-12, 07:59
I've disassembled several Browning BARs (which appear to have the same action) and won't own one after having done so.

Gunnut - I think you nailed it. My FNAR looked like a tacticooled Browning automatic same action, etc. Just added Rails and pistol grip with synthetic stock.

just a scout
06-14-12, 09:58
I had one for a while. Got it to fill two jobs in my head. Shot nice, very accurate, better than 1moa with crap ball ammo. But magazines were made from kryptonite, had to travel to the nether reaches of the solar system to find them. Then I stripped it for cleaning........ I immediately broke the action pin retaining screw. FN was great, sent me one ASAP, but damn, really? And I never could figure out how to clean to bolt and chamber well, even after watching YouTube videos.

Needles to say, someone got lucky when I sold it at a loss. Now I'm back into a Remington 700.

Not a field friendly weapon at all. Maybe good for a hunter, or police that have access to the armorer and arms room. Not for the soldier or prepper or anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SOTIC1993
06-15-12, 06:48
mine did the same thing, i sent it back, when I got it back .75 MOA - 1.25, was not happy with it so i sold it.