PDA

View Full Version : Glock + T1 low-mounting?

Orange-Fox
06-12-12, 12:30
I want to mount a Aimpoint T1 on my G19 low enough so I can still use the iron sights, who can/will do this on a OEM slide and how has it worked out for those who have, these are the only pics I could find showing what I'm talking about.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8223/glockt1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/glockt1.jpg/)
I think this is something that Bowie did, but I can't find anything more.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5206/1000039736.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/1000039736.jpg/)
This a milling option that Lonewolf offers, but can't find any pic of it in the wild at all and Lonewolf didn't have any when I emailed them.

LAV talked about doing it (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94864) on the 18th of December, but I can't find anything more recent.

Any help would be appreciated.

M4Guru
06-12-12, 12:40
The 10mm gun was a Bowie project, Aimpoint had it in their booth at SHOT.

Check it Unity Tactical's ATOM mount.

Orange-Fox
06-12-12, 12:54
The rear sight being behind the optic is crucial to me, that's why I didn't mention the ATOM setup.

M4Guru
06-12-12, 13:02
I've tried it both ways...the sight being in the front helps protect the Aimpoint lens from debris out of the ejection port and the occasional glock 6 o'clock ejection. It also makes it easier to find holsters that fit of the sight is further back, just some thoughts to consider.

I like both but the Atom also gives you the means to upgrade sights as technology improves.

I would carry either one, though, if you're married to the irons at the rear.

Between me and my roommate we've got about 10K of .40 through Aimpoint equipped Glocks, no issues other than the factory dovetail mount being a poor substitute for some kind of hardened mounting system like the ones mentioned above.

Rattlehead
06-12-12, 13:15
Here's one on a Glock 34:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/YJM101/cb1a8580.jpg

M4Guru
06-12-12, 13:20
That one likes to slip around.

Have someone drill and tap another set screw in the dovetail and add another to the front of the mount, it will hold up a lot better. Should only cost a couple bucks.

Orange-Fox
06-12-12, 17:21
Who would you recommend to hard mount a T1 in the optic front / iron rear configuration.

Who makes the best after market slide, since with distance in mind thanks to a RDS I want to squeeze as much accuracy out of it as I can.

Thanks.

M4Guru
06-12-12, 18:02
Bowie I suppose, the gun you put up is the only one I have seen with irons rear of a T1.

Caspian makes a good one if you can find it. Otherwise, I don't think the slide itself is a good source of accuracy gains and would go with a factory slide myself if possible.

Orange-Fox
06-13-12, 22:10
Here's my email to Bowie Tactical and his reply, posted with permission for anyone who's interested.

To: dbowie021966@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:02 PM
Subject: Aimpoint T1 mounting inquiry

Hi,
I've seen a pic of that G20/T1 of yours that was in Aimpoints booth at shotshow and I'm impressed, could it be done on a G19 and if so how much and ruffly how long a turn around? and would you mind if I post your reply in a thread on m4carbine.net?
Thanks.

To: ---
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:47 PM
Subject: Re:Aimpoint T1 mounting inquiry

Yes it can be done on a G-19.I have already done it on G-17's including one for Larry Vickers. cost is $225 for milling alone. Turn time on milling is about a month. posting is fine.

Alaskapopo
06-14-12, 23:13
I tried an experiement with a Primary Arms clone of the T1 on a .22 pistol and found the window too small for my tastes when used on a handgun. I much prefer the Delta point for this function.
Pat

EzGoingKev
06-15-12, 04:31
There are a few threads about running the T1 and other RDS on a Glock over on Lightfighter.

M4Guru
06-15-12, 06:14
I broke my first T1 on a pistol a couple days ago. Gonna swap it out and see if a new one holds up...the ring that holds the objective lens in with the two spanner holes in it had come loose during firing.

PD Sgt.
06-15-12, 10:18
I broke my first T1 on a pistol a couple days ago. Gonna swap it out and see if a new one holds up...the ring that holds the objective lens in with the two spanner holes in it had come loose during firing.

I know it is a bit speculative, but do you think that this is the result of the back and forth battering from being mounted on a pistol slide as opposed to the (relatively) static position on top of a carbine?

While AP builds these things very tough, I would have to think that the pistol subjects the optic to a great deal more vibration. With the pistol mounted application being relatively new, and with high round count shooting schedules, the stress may be a bit outside the original (I am assuming) intended design use of a carbine mounted RDS.

Steve S.
06-15-12, 11:19

Appreciate the honesty.

I think many civilian shooters would be hesitant to report a failure after spending near $1k to get a T1 mounted on a pistol, lest they get the "told you so" reaction from somebody.

I don't know if you can answer these questions - and I understand if you choose not to - but how serious is the Govt taking RDS equipped pistols? Is the Aimpoint Micro what is being leaned towards?

I know DeFoor mentioned turning his findings into the government, and more or less said they are good for NVG or gas mask use. What is your opinion thus far with the T1?

If you were to be dropped in a hostile environment for an extended period of time, would you choose an iron sight only or T1 equipped pistol?

Again, thanks for the feedback. Although I don't have a RDS equipped pistol, I find the subject incredibly interesting.

M4Guru
06-15-12, 16:30
The T1 would definitely be on my list, holster compatibility being its only drawback that I can think of. I've liked it a lot. There are a lot of military units moving to red dots as an option on their sidearms.

The sight on there has two rotations to Afghanistan before it got bolted onto the G22. Hard to say whose fault it is...I'll let Aimpoint take a look at it before I blame the recoil of the pistol. It might have been a contributing factor but it was certainly abused prior to being moved to a pistol.

I've tried the RMR, Docter, MRDS, and T1. The T1 lasted the longest by far, but the fact that it's a tough sight isn't really news. I broke them all eventually...the Trijicons everyone recommends have actually failed the soonest. Those are on a Bowie G17 that I got from LAV last November, and I am sending the second one back to them hoping the third time is the charm. First time was wandering zero issues, this time the dot intermittently goes out. Maybe 4K between them...not too happy with their performance. When they do work, I really like them. Kind of the EoTech thing all over again. If I could keep them powered and zeroed I'd be a believer. IF...

I really believe in the concept and can't wait for something to come along that is both rugged and miniaturized. I would carry the G22/T1 combo anywhere I'd carry iron sights. I would venture to say me and my partner have more rounds through Glocks with T1s on the slide than anyone else by a good margin (25k and some change) and this is the first issue other than the factory mounts slipping.

Although I can see no issues with Bowies mounting system above, at this point I prefer the ATOM mounting system from Unity Tactical because I want the option of upgrading sights in the future as technology develops without needing a new gun every time.

If I had to go somewhere unsupported (ie the invasion of Afghanistan, eating goats and riding horses) for an extended time, I'd carry a G19 with irons. Small and light, and actually unlikely to see a lot of use.

If I had to go on a lot of the short duration DA missions that everyone saw a lot of in Iraq, I'd like to have the red dot.

I definitely think its an advantage on a pistol. Just like everything else, if it's the right tool for the job, use it.

goteron
06-15-12, 16:34
I'll have to get some more info on the T-1 failure. But we will have hight quality aftermarket slides and all adapter plates for the atom system shortly for 9mm and .40 Glocks. Soon to be followed by large frame glocks.

Steve S.
06-15-12, 17:14
M4Guru - that answered all my questions perfectly. Thanks a lot for taking the time to talk about your experiences.

Out of curiosity, what holsters do you guys generally use for the T1 equipped pistols? And do you find a T1 equipped Glock falls outside of a concealment / low profile role?

I love this forum....

M4Guru
06-15-12, 17:35
Blade tech G22/x300 bolted onto a Safariland UBL for me. It's The only dropped and offset holster I have found that works.

I prefer the Safriland 6378DO if not using the T1. I have RCS stuff for concealment, and I can carry a G19 with T1 in the Vanguard II with no real issues.

ChocLab
06-15-12, 19:12