PDA

View Full Version : Michael Yon is no fan of Dragon Skin

Nathan_Bell
01-16-08, 12:15
For those of you unfamiliar with who Michael Yon is, he is possibly the best war correspondent we have for the Iraq.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/news-flash-dragon-skin.htm

Quote from the page

"Again, please do not buy this for combat. There are cheaper body armors that are better. I’m starting the bid at $1 and will use the proceeds to return to Iraq at the end of January."

Don G.
01-16-08, 18:10
Content deleted.

SeriousStudent
01-16-08, 22:24
I have read Michael's work for several years. Michael Totten also has an interesting blog as well.

Stephen_H
01-17-08, 08:43
I'll have to ask our G4, but I thought the 82nd was getting Dragon Skin issued this year. The IBA we currently are issued is heavy and bulky. You get use to the weight, but the bulk makes getting in and out of vehicles difficult and cumbersome to get some molle pouches.

That is not possible as the Dragon Skin armor package failed the U.S. Army's testing protocol. If you are being issued a new armored vest it is most likely the new IOTV (Improved Outer Tactical Vest)

Stephen

Don G.
01-17-08, 08:59
Content deleted.

Stephen_H
01-17-08, 09:24
Thanks....I'm still waiting to hear back from the G4.

I see the Army test results were released after my information. I'm passing it up my Air Force chain because they are currently adding Dragon Skin to our LOGDET for issue. I keep telling them that we should stick to CIF and company issue, but I'm a minority.

You probably don't realize how important your post really was! I owe you one. ;)

If you google "dragon skin failure" you will get more information than you need.

Stephen

Tspeis
01-17-08, 21:15
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't there more to the whole Dragon Skin controversy? In the video linked below, the man who designed the interceptor himself states that in his opinion, Dragon Skin is superior to what we're currently fielding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTrTrsJu3pk

Tspeis

DocGKR
01-17-08, 23:44
No, there is not more to it.

Matt Edwards
01-17-08, 23:58
No, there is not more to it.

Classic!!

Snaquebite
01-18-08, 19:52
Thanks....I'm still waiting to hear back from the G4.

I see the Army test results were released after my information. I'm passing it up my Air Force chain because they are currently adding Dragon Skin to our LOGDET for issue. I keep telling them that we should stick to CIF and company issue, but I'm a minority.

You probably don't realize how important your post really was! I owe you one. ;)

I think you are misinformed.

On June 21 2007, the Air Force general counsel upheld an Air Force Materiel Command recommendation and sent a proposal for debarment to Pinnacle for claiming its body armor was certified by the National Institute of Justice before certification came through.

Pinnacle is banned from selling to the Government and had its certifications revoked by NIJ.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/newsroom/2007/NIJ07057.htm

Don G.
01-18-08, 20:02
Content deleted.