PDA

View Full Version : KAC, larue or build SBR?

Corse
06-12-12, 18:38
What's the consensus on building vs buying a factory SBR? I have the opportunity to get a Knights 11.5 sr-15, or a 12" larue obr. Or is it better to just register one of my lowers and build my own?

C4IGrant
06-12-12, 18:52
What's the consensus on building vs buying a factory SBR? I have the opportunity to get a Knights 11.5 sr-15, or a 12" larue obr. Or is it better to just register one of my lowers and build my own?

I think it is better to buy a factory registered SBR.

C4

Brahmzy
06-12-12, 19:32
For the most part, either you're a builder or a buyer. Simple as that.

I'm pretty much a builder. I like tweaking and customizing just about everything on the rifle and can't be waiting 8 months to do it.

Just F1 like 4 top-tier lowers and have any choice of upper you want, however you want, whenever you want. IMO

Main reason, to me to transfer a factory SBR, is if you've just GOTTA have a complete "factory" KAC SBR (there's no price for that) or resale value (usually a crap-shoot). Some would argue reliability, but if you know your shit, that's a non-issue.

Corse
06-12-12, 20:28
Actually,at this point I own no factory rifles and only 2 factory uppers. Some of my interest is in money invested and actual value of the completed rifle, although at this point I can't see selling it.

Alex F
06-13-12, 08:10
If you ever decide to sell, a factory SBR will sell a LOT faster than a registered home brew.

Pappabear
06-13-12, 16:31
I registered my top end lowers. Never bought one factory. Even if you can't build them, there are people everywhere that can build your upper. Just don't get billy Bob.

Or go to BCM or Noveske and buy the premo upper.

Corse
06-13-12, 17:04
Although I have no problem building a lower, I was thinking if this is my only SBR (maybe), it would be better to have a factory one since I'm not saving that much over doing it myself. Or is there something I'm missing?

az doug
06-14-12, 01:02
My SBR is somewhere in between. It is a factory registered lower. I assembled my components on it at the manufacturer's, then waited for the paperwork to go through and then transfer to me. It only has the manufacturer's name/city & state on the lower receiver. It transferred to me on a form 4.

Saab95v6
06-14-12, 06:22
I 2nd C4IGrant's advice !!!!!! Go with Factory SBR.

fallenromeo
06-14-12, 09:41
Go with the factory KAC

usmcvet
06-14-12, 16:29
If you have the extra coin a Factory KAC SBR would be great. I have a factory BCM and LMT SBR and a second of each in the works as SBR's I just need to do the paperwork and find $400 for the damn stamps, I've already had them engraved.

Chris0311
06-18-12, 23:07
I always buy factory registered SBR's. If i ever had to sell them I'd imagine they'd be easier to move than something with my name engraved on it.. Also, I have the factory KAC 11.5 SBR(block 1) I can certainly attest to it being a nice lil rifle.. I'd say if you can get one jump on it.. I came really close to buying a second one.

RCO'B
07-15-12, 15:58
I'm with Grant, go with the factory built. The upper/lower fit on both my factory Noveske's is perfect. The Form 1 SBR I built is so so on upper lower fir. Used a VLTOR MUR and a Noveske stripped lower, its just ok.

usmcvet
07-15-12, 17:52
I bought both my SBR's from Grant.

This was my first.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SBR-10

Very nice gun.

ccosby
07-15-12, 18:19
If you ever decide to sell, a factory SBR will sell a LOT faster than a registered home brew.

Agree with the above.

I think it is better to buy a factory registered SBR.

C4

As long as you can get what you want I'd say factory is the way to go. I have two sbr's right now. One is on a vendors lower they registered for me with my upper on it and another is an lmt I form 1'd and then got a 10.5 lmt upper for. If I did the LMT again I would have just bought a factory one.

TehLlama
07-16-12, 15:03
A Form 1 lower you've built, might as well write it into the will. That would be my justification to go factory for SBR. The stamp is more valuable than the receiver itself, and to any buyer the hassle isn't worth it unless you're taking a bath on value.

Between the LT and KAC units - honestly not sure, but both would be pretty nice, I'm partial to the KAC unit because you get a more flexible lower, and E3 upgrades on the upper, and you could buy just the LT upper after the fact (and have it as a second upper for your KAC SBR lower), which strikes me as the ideal option.

tctlrld
07-30-12, 23:01
When it's an option and not completely cost prohibitive I would go the factory route.

Not that there's much of a second hand market with SBRs in general, but having someone elses individual name/trust engraving on it really kills it!

Magic_Salad0892
07-30-12, 23:08
KAC. Ambi lower, great upper.

swedeboy
07-31-12, 01:40
I did both... Factory was easier and will probably sell quicker, as several members have already mentioned. The wait sucks either way.