PDA

View Full Version : Cant carry my usp 45 concealed

majorleaguekennels
06-13-12, 07:33
I just purchased a USP 45 full size and would love to be able to carry this gun concealed. Every holster i tried at the local gun store, had the handle showing through my shirt no matter the location, So, if you have carried a USP concealed please share what holster / location you were using? (we are talking only a t-shirt for cover, it is hot down here)
Thanks for your time and input.

ffhounddog
06-13-12, 07:43
Appendix carry?

I carried a HK USP 9 concealed but it was a pain but I do know two people who carry a USP 40 in the appendix carry method. I went with a HK P2000 and HK USPc and they work better.

Alex F
06-13-12, 07:52
How big are you?

That's a serious chunk of a handgun to carry concealed in just a tshirt and expect to not print, especially if you're average or small sized.

Did you buy the USP full size expressly to carry concealed?

If so, why?

Wise man tailors tools to job, not job to tools.

YMMV

Grizzly16
06-13-12, 07:54
Every holster i tried at the local gun store,

What holsters does your local gun store carry? Are they just blackhawk/uncle mikes/fobus? If not a GOOD holster and belt make a world of difference. Have you tried any of the following brands:
Cane and Derby (not sure they make an usp?)
Crossbreed
Raven

Deputy Dan
06-13-12, 08:23
CC a USP 45 in a t-shirt? Not going to happen. Even with a crossbreed or minotaur the grip is going to print badly.

I'm 6' 4" 240 and I can't conceal my USP 45 with light summer t shirt... I can carry it under winter garments. Even the USP 45 Compact is big. I used to carry a G27 for back up/cc, and even then you still need to dress around it.

Save your ducats for a pistol more suitable to the task... I just picked up a Shield in .40 to play with. Shoots like my G27, very accurate and much easier to conceal.

Psalms144.1
06-13-12, 08:24
The USP 45 is a big pistol, but certainly not impossible to conceal.

First things first, what are you wearing as "concealment" garments. As stated above, if it's shorts and a nicely fitting t-shirt, you're going to have trouble. You need to dress around your pistol, not pick your pistol to match your chosen attire. A loose-fitting, square bottom shirt, like any of the ones Woolrich markets, should do a good job covering that pistol.

Secondly, you need to decide where on your body you want to carry, and how; and pick a holster designed for that application. Do you want to carry IWB, or on the belt?

Different holsters have different amount of cant. In general, you want no cant (straight drop) if you're looking to carry between your belt buckle and the point of your hip - in what's now referred to as the "appendix carry." If you're carrying right on the point of your hip, straight drop or a SLIGHT (5 degree or so) cant will be best for concealment. If you're carrying in the "traditional" 4-4:30 position behind the hip, you want the "FBI" (15 degree) cant. If for whatever reason you can't be talked out of it you think small of the back is the place to carry, you want the barrel to be pretty close to parallel with the belt.

Lastly, you need a GOOD, purpose-built belt to carry a large, heavy handgun. I use several - but the best I've found over the years are the Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt with the polymer stiffener for casual wear; and the Beltman 1.5" gun belt - which doesn't look out of place with a suit.

Hopefully some of that will help. Remember, you need to dress around the gun, not the other way around.

JonInWA
06-13-12, 08:27
I don't have a USP 45, but I have a Glock G21 (non-SF), and frequently carry it in a Blade-Tech IWB. As others have mentioned, a good belt is a critical part of the equation; I prefer The Wilderness' 5-Stitch models, or a a double-thick leather/horsehide belt.

Best, Jon

Tzook
06-13-12, 08:38
Yeah, no shit you can't. You might as well be trying to CC a brick

majorleaguekennels
06-13-12, 08:44
Thanks all for the quick replies. I did not buy the usp specifically for carry, but i love it, i want it with me now. I do feel that i am just to fat to carry a gun appendix style, i tried it, the hammer pokes my belly, but even if i switched to a spurless hammer i feel it would not be comfortable at all to sit down with. I do believe the few holsters i tried were cheaper brands, so maybe i need i to step up to a better holster. I will admit i am new to CC, so i will take in account all the suggestions, i think at this point i am leaning toward a IWB holster just because i think it will pull the grip in closer to my body which is what i need. I also may just end up keeping this gun inside the nightstand and picking up a model more conducive to carrying concealed. I will keep researching holster before i just give up on carrying it however.
Thanks again for the info.

ralph
06-13-12, 08:47
I agree with all the above...A "good" holster will help alot, but still the fact is, a fullsize USP.45, isn't exactly a small pistol..It really wasn't designed with CC in mind, it's more of a service pistol that was intended to be carried openly on your side, (think LE, military) I'm not saying carrying it concealed could'nt be done, but, it going to be alot more challanging to say the least. You may want to reconsider using it as a CCW, if you want to carry a .45 maybe consider a HK45c,or a USP compact, M&P.45 compact, or in 9mm, P-2000 maybe a P-30, but they do have a rough texture on the grip which can rub ... or any of the usual recommended CC pistols, G19, G26, or in.45 G30, M&P9c, possibly a Walther PPQ, maybe the new M&P shield..

Grizzly16
06-13-12, 09:19
If you can't appendix carry or carry in a good IWB holster at the 4/4:30 positions you might try small of the back. It is FAR from ideal from a speed of draw and comfort side. But it should be pretty easy to hide a full size gun back there. You just need to be aware when bending over how bad it can print.

E-man930
06-13-12, 09:28
What holsters does your local gun store carry? Are they just blackhawk/uncle mikes/fobus? If not a GOOD holster and belt make a world of difference. Have you tried any of the following brands:
Cane and Derby (not sure they make an usp?)
Crossbreed
Raven

+1 get in line for a decent rig for it; small of the back IWB can make allot of bricks disappear with good posture and non conforming t-shirt.

CarbonCycles
06-13-12, 09:36
I'm sensing this is your first time CC. If so, CC is a way of life..it's not a matter of bending your current lifestyle to accommodate it.

You will need to rethink your wardrobe, holster type, activities, etc.

Btw, I've seen guys hide a USP FS Tactical 45 without a problem...it's all about how you approach the problem.

loupav
06-13-12, 09:52
I love my USP45's. They're excellent guns but very large! Try something from Galco to start off with. You can conceal it, don't give up yet but it will take some search for the perfect holster.

OldState
06-13-12, 09:54
I just got a PSS holster with the new IWB rig and can conceal a full sized M&P 45 under a t-shirt. I have to adjust in a little extra cant and wear it at the 4:30 position. This , or any full-sized gun is not my preferred carry piece (especially in summer), but it can be done.

I understand the USP is a little bigger, but with some creative clothing and the right rig....

Hogsgunwild
06-13-12, 10:49
I also use an IWB Bladetech at 8:00 to 9:00 ( I am a lefty). Works for my USP 45 and my USP Expert ( with a jet funnel / extended magwell ). It is not something that I would want to deal with everyday but it works when needed such as concealment during hiking.

The Bladetech works fairly well but if I was going to carry my USP more often I would order a Comptac MTAC holster for it. I have used
them for years and still find that it is one of the more comfortable holsters that I have tried and the ability to change the height and cant of the holster until you find the sweet spot is invaluable.

Lone_Ranger
06-13-12, 10:55
The USP 45 is a big pistol, but certainly not impossible to conceal.

First things first, what are you wearing as "concealment" garments. As stated above, if it's shorts and a nicely fitting t-shirt, you're going to have trouble. You need to dress around your pistol, not pick your pistol to match your chosen attire. A loose-fitting, square bottom shirt, like any of the ones Woolrich markets, should do a good job covering that pistol.

Secondly, you need to decide where on your body you want to carry, and how; and pick a holster designed for that application. Do you want to carry IWB, or on the belt?

Different holsters have different amount of cant. In general, you want no cant (straight drop) if you're looking to carry between your belt buckle and the point of your hip - in what's now referred to as the "appendix carry." If you're carrying right on the point of your hip, straight drop or a SLIGHT (5 degree or so) cant will be best for concealment. If you're carrying in the "traditional" 4-4:30 position behind the hip, you want the "FBI" (15 degree) cant. If for whatever reason you can't be talked out of it you think small of the back is the place to carry, you want the barrel to be pretty close to parallel with the belt.

Lastly, you need a GOOD, purpose-built belt to carry a large, heavy handgun. I use several - but the best I've found over the years are the Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt with the polymer stiffener for casual wear; and the Beltman 1.5" gun belt - which doesn't look out of place with a suit.

Hopefully some of that will help. Remember, you need to dress around the gun, not the other way around.

Ditto!

Tom Cruise, isn't exactly the size of Vin Diesel, but he carried a full size USP .45, in the movie Collateral. He was wearing a suit.

I carried one for a long time. Wearing a suit jacket/sport coat, and using a Mitch Rosen pancake holster (5JM-Pres), I also recommend a vertical shoulder holster (Bianchi X-15) if you need to carry a very large framed semi-auto) for certain applications, but my first choice would be a good pancake type holster.

Striker
06-13-12, 11:43
I just purchased a USP 45 full size and would love to be able to carry this gun concealed. Every holster i tried at the local gun store, had the handle showing through my shirt no matter the location, So, if you have carried a USP concealed please share what holster / location you were using? (we are talking only a t-shirt for cover, it is hot down here)

You're trying to conceal a full size gun and be cool and comfortable at the same time. Make a choice. If it's the gun, as others have said, dress around it. Good holster, good belt, put the tshirt over the gun and put a loose fitting button down shirt on over the T shirt. As said above, square, not fitted. If you can get away with it, buy your shirts a size larger than normal. I hit weights three times a week, so I have decent sized shoulders and arms. I can wear a shirt a size larger and not look like I'm swimming in it. You may or may not be able to, but I find this aids in concealment. Still, the largest gun I can carry as described above, without printing is a Sig P226 or Glock 17. Also, cinch your belt up tight. Many don't want to do this, but it aids in pulling the gun closer to the body.

As I said, gun or comfort, make a choice.

Mauser KAR98K
06-13-12, 11:45
Wal-Mart is selling some light, single breast button shirts at a good price with interesting designs on them (summer art). Get a few in a size larger than what you wear. I carried my HK USP 9mm with a Forbes holster and spare mag under one of these shirts without any problems of printing. Also consider wearing dark shirts (doesn't have to be black). They don't print as much.

I carry my M&P Shield under a semi-form fitting Gretsch shirt. But it is black and no one knows the wiser I am carrying a .40 very comfortably.

Dress around the gun.

Hogsgunwild
06-13-12, 13:03
If you stay serious about the USP for CCW for any length of time, you will probably want a little brother to the fullsize, eventually (if you do not already have something smaller to carry).

A P2000 or P2000SK could be of the same manual of arms as the USP
if both were set up with with the same trigger configurations. A 9MM P2000SK is an excellent gun and the gun and loaded magazines are way lighter and more concealable than the fullsize. There are always plenty of occasions to have a smaller hi-cap worn on the belt. A pistol and it's loaded magazines' weight bothers be more than the size anymore.

F-Trooper05
06-13-12, 13:35
Try the MTAC by Comp-Tac. A few people on HKPro use it for their USP's.

Steve S.
06-13-12, 14:59
I strongly recommend against Small Of Back carry. There's a few people out there paralyzed from falling while carrying here. Most PDs restrict this position for on and off duty carry.

You can hide just about any pistol. It's just finding that sweet spot. I always go back to this example, but a staff member EDCs a G21 (non-SF, sometimes with a TLR1) and two mags. All year round, and he had smaller guns. The catch is, he's about 130 LBS, 5'11", and has a 30" waist. He chooses to carry a high capacity fullsize .45acp for a few reasons, and solves the problem from there. So don't get discouraged. Maybe stick to holster companies with a trial period, so you can test a bunch without spending a lot of money.

Happy hunting.

operator81
06-13-12, 16:45
A good holster and belt make all the difference. I'm 5'9" 160 and easily CCW my G21 in a Comp-tac MTAC and a Raven Concealment Phantom with the light. I use either a Wilderness 5-stitch belt or a Filson Double Belt.

Hogsgunwild
06-13-12, 17:10
A good holster and belt make all the difference. I'm 5'9" 160 and easily CCW my G21 in a Comp-tac MTAC and a Raven Concealment Phantom with the light. I use either a Wilderness 5-stitch belt or a Filson Double Belt.

Comp-Tac also makes a good leather belt that is reinforced with Kydex (or whatever). I have two of these.

rathos
06-14-12, 03:54
I use belt man belts and a VMII style leather holster and was able to carry a full sized USP with a t-shirt. It is a chunky gun, but I usually carried it at 2:30 to 3 o'clock. It was a lot easier to hide when I wore it at 2:30 and under a button up shirt, but it was doable with a t-shirt. For the record I am not a big guy, about 5'8" 180.

loupav
06-14-12, 10:16
You may find some help/ideas here.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/saddlery/

Gary1911A1
06-14-12, 10:38
Good IWB like a Blade Tech, good sturdy gun belt that is made for conceal carry, and dark shirts with patterns to break up any printing in a size larger and you can carry it. Don't give up just yet. Your local gun store just wants to sell you whatever they have in stock and are often not your friend in these matters.

WillBrink
06-14-12, 11:15

What did you expect from such a large handgun? Unless you are a big guy wearing big baggy clothes, that's not a gun that's going to conceal well. Other then winter with a heavy coat, that gun is not going to conceal well in most cases.

Having said all that, people greatly over estimate others ability to see/detect guns, so a button up shirt left open over a T shirt will probably work just fine, but don't expect no lumps, 'cause it aint gonna happen with a full sized USP .45.

Great gun though. :cool:

Redbeardsong
06-14-12, 12:14
I have a friend who conceals a full size USP45 under a tshirt every day. I have other friends who carry a Glock 34 and an XDM9 (FS) under a tshirt. All of them carry IWB between 4 and 6 o'clock with a dual loop holster (crossbreed, Comp-Tac, custom leather IWB) and all of them are medium to tall height, and fairly thin. It helps if your waist is smaller than your chest, so your shirt will hang away from your belt line, but having a larger torso can also have some advantage in carrying a larger gun. You'll want a fair amount of forward cant to help hide the grip. I've found that as much as 18-25 degrees of cant really helps hide a long full-size grip. Small of back is not the best carry spot, but it might work best for you with that gun.

deeHKman
06-14-12, 16:34
Not a USP but i know a female who carries her HK45 in a Raven Concealment Phantom holster. I carry a P30s at the moment in a cheapo holster until i find a good leather one for any of my HK's.

I don't have a USP .45 to compare to but i know this is a popular holster especially for fullsize gun's.....good luck. I just missed a VMII for a HK45 or i would have it on..

Pistol Shooter
06-14-12, 16:55
Consider adding an HK 45C to your stable. They are the perfect size for cc IMO.

I've carried mine in a TT Gunleather Stronghold Phoenix holster very comfortably for quite a while.

packinaglock
06-14-12, 18:17
You're trying to conceal a full size gun and be cool and comfortable at the same time. Make a choice. If it's the gun, as others have said, dress around it. Good holster, good belt, put the tshirt over the gun and put a loose fitting button down shirt on over the T shirt. As said above, square, not fitted. If you can get away with it, buy your shirts a size larger than normal. I hit weights three times a week, so I have decent sized shoulders and arms. I can wear a shirt a size larger and not look like I'm swimming in it. You may or may not be able to, but I find this aids in concealment. Still, the largest gun I can carry as described above, without printing is a Sig P226 or Glock 17. Also, cinch your belt up tight. Many don't want to do this, but it aids in pulling the gun closer to the body.

As I said, gun or comfort, make a choice.

Same here, I'm 5'11" 212 with a 31" waist by building up the shoulders and chest the t-shirts tend to drop straight down from there hiding a ccw on your waist very well. I always carry my G19 or 23 with just a t-shirt and never even see a bump.

deeHKman
06-14-12, 21:32

I've carried mine in a TT Gunleather Stronghold Phoenix holster very comfortably for quite a while.

That's the one Tim was called about a question i had. Which one to order for both (HK45c/P30) work in. Answer back was order a P30 Occ. since the trigger guard is about a 1/4 inch difference between the two. The HK45c will ride a very small amount higher.

I plan to get the Holster in July, thank's

Alaskapopo
06-15-12, 00:04

No offense but this falls under the DUH catagory. You purchase a huge pistol and wonder why you can't conceal it. I carried a HK USP in 45 for a time as a duty gun and your right off duty you could not conceal that beast. All 45 double stacks are in the almost impossible to conceal catagory.
pat

Gary1911A1
06-15-12, 09:04

I agree with adding the HK45 Compact or at least consider trading your USP in on getting the HK Compact.

Maverick07
06-15-12, 11:56
Major,

This statement is not intended to be patronizing in any way: Mission drives tactics. In this case your mission is to carry a .45 in CCW, which dictates a compact and light profile weapon. My mission is both home defense and personal defense outside the home. In this case I knew I would be eliminating all full-size and sub-compact platforms so I could both safely manipulate the pistol when it was dark when I was less than at full alert and also to carry the weapon comfortably and discreetly. In your case you pretty much defined your tactic (full size .45) and now are trying to meet a mission with it for which it is not well suited.

I fall in line with the line of discussion here: consider replacing your platform with one that was designed to meet your mission needs. I like the HK's and own a USP 45 Compact. I carry a G19 on duty in CCW mode but off duty I often grab the USP Compact.

CarbonCycles
06-15-12, 14:25
All 45 double stacks are in the almost impossible to conceal catagory.
pat

I disagree with you on that statement. A HK45c works great in a VM2.

Alaskapopo
06-15-12, 14:35
I disagree with you on that statement. A HK45c works great in a VM2.

You must be a big guy.
Pat

Steve S.
06-15-12, 15:28
You must be a big guy.
Pat

Not necessarily. I've got a guy here that carries a G21 non-SF (sometimes with TLR1) and a spare mag both OWB everyday. When it's hot out here for a pimp (like today, about 90 degrees), he just wears a button up short sleeve unbuttoned. Wife beater gets tucked in, then OWB holster, t-shirt on top, and button up to prevent printing.

Oh, the catch is he weighs about 130 pounds, is 5'11" and wears a 30" waist. I can get some pics if anyone wants.

Truth is, most people won't notice you're carrying anyway. Get a good belt and good holster, and you can hide about anything. I'm sure there's someone out there right now doing low profile work with an MP7 hidden on their person.

Ranger45
06-16-12, 10:08
Like Steve said above, I just throw a light-weight button up shirt on over my t-shirt. That usually works well for me when the weather gets hot and humid. Lighter shirts worn open don't really make me feel any warmer and usually provide that extra coverage that a larger gun requires. This method works well when I conceal my 1911 or G21.

majette
06-16-12, 22:20
i have a mitch rosen express line iwb and a local maker's (backwoods leather) gun belt. i carry my usp9sd wearing shorts and a baggy t-shirt with no problem. i am average sized and people are surprised when i show them my concealed carry to dispel the notion that you need a pocket or mouse gun for concealment.

here is the design of the holster:

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/holsters/express_line/usdexp.jpg