PDA

View Full Version : Updated 1911 Users Guide

OldState
06-13-12, 09:36
Hilton updated his users guide. I wish I had something like this when I was new to the platform. Hilton's blog and forum is an incredible resource unlike anything on the web.

DevilDog0402
06-14-12, 19:12
And where would one find said user guide if they were so inclined? :confused:

OldState
06-14-12, 19:27
And where would one find said user guide if they were so inclined? :confused:

Hmmm, I thought I put the link....

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-User%27s-Guide.html

TomD
06-14-12, 19:49
Excellent! Thanks for posting.

Up1911fan
06-14-12, 21:44
Thanks for the link.

Lincoln7
06-14-12, 23:19
Great info for the new 1911 user, but on the following:

Spring maintenance:
I use 17 lb standard rate recoil springs, 19 lb mainsprings, and extra power firing pin springs from Wolff Gunsprings. For a 5” gun using normal pressure .45 ACP loads, 18.5 lbs is about as high as you should go. If you run an 18-18.5 lb recoil spring, then use a 23 lb mainspring. The mainsprings last a very long time, and most guns never need them changed out. If you carry your gun a lot, ie. it is cocked all the time, then consider changing the mainspring every 2-3 years or 15-20,000 rounds just as cheap insurance.
I don't understand the choice of spring combinations. Colt specs are 16# recoil spring and 23# mainspring. Why would one use either a lighter recoil and mainspring OR a heavier recoil and mainspring? Wouldn't a heavier recoil spring pair better with a lighter mainspring and vice versa? That way the slide speed would remain relatively the same.

OldState
06-14-12, 23:45
Great info for the new 1911 user, but on the following:

I don't understand the choice of spring combinations. Colt specs are 16# recoil spring and 23# mainspring. Why would one use either a lighter recoil and mainspring OR a heavier recoil and mainspring? Wouldn't a heavier recoil spring pair better with a lighter mainspring and vice versa? That way the slide speed would remain relatively the same.

Not sure maybe its the same principal as using a square bottom firing pin stop to slow the slide down.

Hilton Yam has forgotten more about 1911's than most people will ever know. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he has vetted out the spring combos.