PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 90-Two Range Report

plouffedaddy
06-13-12, 13:00
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1125.jpg

The Beretta 90-Two (usually called the "dash-2" for short) was an attempt to improve upon some of the complaints about the original M9/92FS series firearms. It added a standard picatinny rail, internal buffer for increased recoil absorption, dovetailed front sight, captured guide rod, and new/updated safety switch/mag release/trigger bar/hammer/slide/frame to change the overall look of the gun. The biggest change of all however was the grip. The 90-two has a polymer grip sleeve offered in two sizes: standard and slim. The grip is probably the most controversial aspect of this pistol; some like it and others (myself included) don't particularly care for it. The best way to describe it is "slippery." Stippling and adding some grip tape help but it still can leave you searching for more.

Pros:

100% reliable so far (about 700 rounds)
Good sight picture
Balances well in the hand
With the D spring, DA pull is very good (smooth, not too heavy/light)
Accepts standard lights/accessories
Finish is beautiful, it's a very good looking gun in my opinion
Accurate firearm (the group I shot was evidence of this, although I probably couldn't do it again if I tried!)
Comes with 3 17 round, well made magazines
Price--I paid $499 for mine with night sights and also recieved a $50 mail in rebate
Very well built firearm
Low percieved recoil

Cons:

SA trigger could be more crisp
Very little aftermarket support
Grip is slippery
Made in Italy only
May be discontinued in the future

Overall, it's a very good gun with one flaw (grip) but that wouldn't keep me from recommending it. To me, any gun that is very reliable and accurate will always be a good gun in my book. That said, if money isn't part of the equation, I'd proably opt for the 92A1 which incorporates many of the same features but keeps the standard 92 series grips.

Here's a video demonstrating some shooting, an 'accuracy test' (again, the gun is undoubtedly more accurate than the shooter in this case), assembly/dissasembly, table top review, and some chronograph testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS-v23Qfkg8&feature=g-upl

Chronograph Data:

Winchester Ranger 115gr JHP: 1183fps, 357ft/lbs of energy
Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP: 1239fps, 422ft/lbs of energy
Federal HST 124gr JHP: 1134fps, 354ft/lbs of energy
Federal HST +p 124gr JHP: 1188fps, 389ft/lbs of energy
Remington UMJ 115gr JHP: 1235fps, 389ft/lbs of energy

Vgex2
06-13-12, 14:12
Very nice review. I would definitely get one, but can't stand the aesthetics. If the lost the rail, gave it more traditional styling, and made a right textured grip, I would have one for sure.

LHS
06-13-12, 14:22
When this was released, I almost smacked myself in the face. Beretta shot themselves in the foot by making the slide so different. There were already railed 92 variants, if they'd made this one fit the same holsters it would have simplified things from a logistical standpoint. All they had to do was make a polymer-framed, railed, modernized 92 that was as backwards-compatible as possible. And they utterly failed. So what do they do? They go back and do it over with aluminum.

I love my Berettas. They fit my hand, the run like scalded-ass apes, and they're plenty accurate. But Beretta just can't put out the right versions for more than a few years at a time. They need to re-introduce the G-model control setup, and the 92G-SD in particular, and then make a compact version of it. If they really want to get in the game, make a polymer-framed 92G-SD compact, maybe about G19-size, and get CT to make lasergrips for it. Bam. I'd buy 3, at least.

plouffedaddy
06-14-12, 08:10
They need to re-introduce the G-model control setup, and the 92G-SD in particular, and then make a compact version of it.

No disagreement here. I'd be the first one in line to pick that up.

06-14-12, 11:21
Right on! Make more 92G's. With rails, without rails, compacts, etc. I would have one with rails. Love my 92G.

LHS
06-14-12, 11:50
Right on! Make more 92G's. With rails, without rails, compacts, etc. I would have one with rails. Love my 92G.

The 92G was the smartest thing Beretta ever did. If they'd make a 92G Compact with a rail, dovetailed front sight, and a D-spring from the factory, it'd be near perfection.

06-14-12, 12:01
The 92G was the smartest thing Beretta ever did. If they'd make a 92G Compact with a rail, dovetailed front sight, and a D-spring from the factory, it'd be near perfection.

Agreed! Are you listening Beretta? I already know the answer to that...

LHS
06-14-12, 12:50
And you know what? They could even jump on the modularity train. Make a true polymer-framed 92G compact, with rail, dovetailed front sight, and D-spring. Make the grips modular with interchangeable backstraps and stippling options. Give it a true DA/SA action, but with a bobbed hammer, and something like the old Langdon 'speed-bump' trigger. BOOM. You keep the 92 aesthetics that Beretta is so proud of, you keep holster compatibility with the 92 rail guns already out there, and you keep price competitive with Glock and S&W. Add some flash like an Elite II hammer to make it appeal to the masses, and voila, you've got a winner on your hands.

ShipWreck
06-14-12, 16:04
I have owned two different 90-Twos in the past. I have nine 92s now, and everyone knows I am a Beretta fanatic. But, I just could not like the 90-Two. The grip is too slippery for me.

I like rubber grips on a gun, and there was never any aftermarket grips made for the 90-Two. I tried several solutions to make the polymer grip less slippery, but none worked. Stripling the grip is probably the best solution - but it's rather expensive (I got quotes all over the map when I emailed places that did this kind of work on all polymer guns).

rauchman
06-15-12, 09:57
And you know what? They could even jump on the modularity train. Make a true polymer-framed 92G compact, with rail, dovetailed front sight, and D-spring. Make the grips modular with interchangeable backstraps and stippling options. Give it a true DA/SA action, but with a bobbed hammer, and something like the old Langdon 'speed-bump' trigger. BOOM. You keep the 92 aesthetics that Beretta is so proud of, you keep holster compatibility with the 92 rail guns already out there, and you keep price competitive with Glock and S&W. Add some flash like an Elite II hammer to make it appeal to the masses, and voila, you've got a winner on your hands.

This sounds great. I just added a D spring to my 92FS and it's like a different pistol trigger wise. The pistol you describe here sounds like it could be a winner.

ShipWreck
06-15-12, 13:14
Yes, I have D springs in all of my 9 Beretta 92s. I usually install them even before the first range trip.

If you have an italian made 92, it comes with a roll pin instead of a USA style lanyard loop pin. Ya gotta knock the hell out of it to get it out.

Buy the USA style pin AND the D spring at the same time. Since ya have the roll pin out anyway - put the D spring in and THEN use the USA style pin. MUCH easier to get out in the future.

If you have a USA made 92, however - then, you already have the easier pin