PDA

View Full Version : Final word on Oly Arms k-K-16?

pearson
01-16-08, 15:12
i think she ment live by yourself

dwildone
01-16-08, 15:57
Dagnabbit, I'm just flustered.
I've read 500 reviews that say they've had no problems with the Olympic Arms K-16, and I've read 500 that say the entire Oly staff should be lined up and shot, and that all their stuff is crap.
I'm going to pay twice as much for a RRA or Bushy rifle that's similar.
If I get lucky and get a good Oly, I think its a great value. If you get a turd, your screwed. If you buy from Atlantic, they have 60 day money back guarantee, and 1 year warrantee. So what do you think, guys? I don't have much $ to invest, and have the AR fever REALLY bad. (I've got glock, a shotgun which I train regularly with both, but no AR yet).
I can always trade in on a better one and take my losses if I don't like it right?
So do I take the plunge, hope I get a good model (they are all forged, matched upper/lowers now), or hunker down for another 8 months and get the RRA coyote for $1,100?
Please consider I am obsessed with this AR thing right now, and my homelife is a mess. My wife has given me the "if you can live with yourself, just buy the damn thing", which is a yes. So, I've got the $ and the green light.

Thanks, guys and here's the link in case you haven't seen the rifle.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=301

Dman:confused:

5POINT56
01-16-08, 20:24
I've handled my share of Oly Arms rifles. I've personally visited the Oly Arms factory and spent time talking with some of the staff.

I have not and would not buy one of their rifles for any purpose other than popping holes in paper. Period.

If you have plans on a rifle for any sort of self defense purposes, you would be well served to save your money for a rifle worthy of that role and IMO, Oly Arms doesn't make a weapon that comes close to meeting that purpose.

Colt, LMT & Noveske offer one stop shopping for outstanding out-of-the-box AR's. My opinion? Buy one of those three and never look back.

dwildone
01-16-08, 20:24
Hey, thanks pearson for your depth of insight concerning my decision on the AR's. I hope all the other posts are equally helpful and demonstrate similar knowledge and experience with various rifle brands.
If I wanted smart%$# comments, I'd have joined a Yahoo chess board. Any real help would be appreciated.

khc3
01-16-08, 20:49
Any real help would be appreciated.

^^^He gave you "real help."

The fact that it wasn't what you wanted to hear makes it even more valuable.

dwildone
01-17-08, 07:10
Sorry, guys. Guess I'm too thick to pick up on his wisdom.

markm
01-17-08, 07:21
Check out this recent one from AR15.com. (I collect these nightmare testimonials as ammo to fight peckerheads who defend Oly)

I always love the douchebags who site OLY's LIFETIME WARRANTEE as the reason they bought the POS!! OLY won't even honor the warrantee in a cut and dry case of manufacturing defect.

Originally Posted By 357mag:
I recently retrieved a cast Olympic Arms lower that I had purchased about 7 years ago and assembled it and pinned it to a Bushmaster upper that I had. When I tried to insert a magazine into the mag well it wouldn't go in all the way. Upon inspection, I discovered that the magazine well is located too far forward by 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch and the magazine contacts, and is blocked by the edge of the upper receiver. Have any of you ever heard of this problem? Anyone know about how Olympic Arms is to deal with? I wonder if there is any chance that they'd replace it.

357mag

UPDATE 1/10/08

I called Olympic Arms to ask about replacing my lower and they said that they WILL NOT honor the warrantee. Their explanation was that this lower and the upper that it supposedly came with were sold as a matched pair. Why am I not surprised.

Lesson learned: Steer clear of Olympic Arms.

M4arc
01-17-08, 08:16
Gents, please keep this thread civil. These types of discussions usually don't end well but I have hope we can discuss this in a polite and professional manor because we're only going to speak from first hand experience, right? ;)

markm
01-17-08, 08:24
Does reading the Problem first hand count? ;)

You'll have to excuse me. Hating on OLY is something I'm quite passionate about! :cool:

5POINT56
01-17-08, 08:51
Gents, please keep this thread civil. These types of discussions usually don't end well but I have hope we can discuss this in a polite and professional manor because we're only going to speak from first hand experience, right? ;)

As I have.

If that experience is summarily rejected (with insults) that's up to the OP.

An unusual approach to a message board he has all of 3 posts on, but hey, not my problem. These sort of things have a way of working themselves out. ;)

M4arc
01-17-08, 10:53
Generally my first post is generic in nature and serve as a warning for all new post. If things continue to degrade then I will get more specific and individuals will be warned, edited and possibly locked.

And yes demigod, you have a certain amount of leeway when it comes to Olympic threads :D

ddemis
01-17-08, 13:49
Even though I have never owned a rifle from Oly arms every person I have ever spoken to that owned one had the same reply, JUNK! After hearing that from so many Oly owners I stick with RRA or BCM. Spend the extra cash and get your moneys worth.

Paulinski
01-17-08, 14:13
Olympic Arms is a good product......

That is to use it as targets:p

KDG
01-17-08, 19:57
You are in a very good position as a first time AR buyer in that you found this site before making a purchase.

If you take the time to read through the great number of posts on here, from very qualified and hands on experienced members who have used the AR platform under all kinds of scenarios and conditions you will be able to learn the difference certain brands have to offer in terms of quality components over others and how it affects reliability and dependability.

Once you have that knowledge you will be able to make a very informed and good choice in what to buy based on your wants and needs in the weapon.

skyugo
01-18-08, 19:17
stag carbine kit
or an RRA upper+ameetec or cav arms lower should get you in under 800 bucks.

del ton will get you in under 700.

all these options are "some assembly required" but still..

check out www.ar15sales.com

i've read enough about olympic to avoid them. you're really only gonna be looking at an extra 150 bucks or so to get a real nice rifle.

ddemis
01-19-08, 00:34
Just over a year ago I purchased a Rock River w/ six pos stock,flat top,16 inch carbine barrel and a weaver gas block for under 900 bucks. Only draw back, I had to wait three months to get it. Spend a little extra and get your moneys worth.