PDA

View Full Version : Spikes receiver broke

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
06-13-12, 18:55
I recently sold a Spikes Punisher receiver to a friend. While he was attempting to install the trigger guard, the receiver broke due to user error. Posting this for future reference to hopefully help someone else.

outrider627
06-13-12, 19:03
Did the receiver break at the ears where the roll pin is, or the other side? If it broke at the ears, I'm guessing your friend didn't support the lower correctly when driving in the roll pin.

Atticus_1354
06-13-12, 19:05
So what I got from this was that your friend broke one of the ears off the lower and you want Spike to replace the lower? That sucks that it broke, but this is something that every assembly guide I have read has warned about. You should suggest that your friend be more careful or buy a preassembled lower next time.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
06-13-12, 19:07
Did the receiver break at the ears where the roll pin is, or the other side? If it broke at the ears, I'm guessing your friend didn't support the lower correctly when driving in the roll pin.

There is a pic of it in the attachment.

TacticalTyler
06-13-12, 19:14
I dont care for spikes, they are low tier and a plinker rifle at best.
That being said, THIS WAS YOUR FRIENDS FAULT. He didnt support the lower ears properly, ANY lower reciever will break like this if you dont support the ears properly.

citizensoldier16
06-13-12, 19:16
Breakage of the ears is caused by improper supporting of the upper receiver during installation of the trigger guard. I'm not surprised Spikes did not cover this...as it is commonly and routinely seen as user error. Take your licks and buy another.

yellow50
06-13-12, 19:20
Not a fan of spikes but like already stated, not their fault.

outrider627
06-13-12, 19:20
There is a pic of it in the attachment.

Missed it. Sorry dude, but you shouldn't expect the manufacturer to cover user error. Breaking the trigger guard ears is well known potential issue and easily avoidable. Its been covered pretty thoroughly online.

You're friend has three options:

1. Use some JB weld to fix the problem, and install a trigger guard modified to attach with button head screws.

2. Install the Stark grip. It covers up that part of the receiver anyway.

3. Find a full Magpul MIAD kit or at least the one piece trigger guard/front strap.

titanse05
06-13-12, 19:21
IMO it shouldn't be up to the manufacturer to fix an installation error. Trying to install a trigger guard without supporting the "ears" is what resulted it the break. Sorry for the owner but it looks like a Gunsmith needs to come to the rescue.

Eric
06-13-12, 19:31
If proper assembly procedures are not followed, this is indeed what happens. This is not a failure on the manufacturer's part. It's rather lame to even post that info here. :rolleyes:

justin_247
06-13-12, 19:32
You friend has no business building ARs. He broke it, he should pay for it instead of trying to shift blame to Spike's.

It's not Spike's fault.

As a note, Spike's has good lowers - they source their receivers from reputable sources, such as LAR, Aero, and Mega.

Vgex2
06-13-12, 19:34
Wow. Just wow. I would not warranty damage like that if I owned Spikes. I am all about brands taking care of customers, but jeez. That is absolutely not a warranty issue.

hotbiggun42
06-13-12, 19:35
How is this a Spikes reciever Failure? You should change the title of your thread. Very misleading and not very proffesional. IMO

doubletap2211
06-13-12, 19:40
As stated several times. You can't expect Spikes to fix this issue. All manufacturers are swamped right now. Yes, even Spikes, for those who think they are low tier. They can't start making exceptions to policies already put in place. I have dealt with Spikes customer service several times and every experience has been proper and the way CS is meant to be.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
06-13-12, 19:43
With the general consensus here, I stand corrected. Title modified.

Stickman
06-13-12, 19:46
If proper assembly procedures are not followed, this is indeed what happens. This is not a failure on the manufacturer's part. It's rather lame to even post that info here. :rolleyes:

I find myself, once again, in 100% agreement with you.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
06-13-12, 19:54

How is it lame if it helps someone else not make the same mistake? Your condescension is duly noted. :big_boss:

Retiredbroke
06-13-12, 20:11
That's too bad about the lower, as stated not Spikes fault.

justin_247
06-13-12, 20:13
How is it lame if it helps someone else not make the same mistake? Your condescension is duly noted. :big_boss:

Heck, if your friend had simply read Spike's guide to building a lower that they posted on their forum on ARFCOM, he wouldn't have broken the ear.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
06-13-12, 20:16
Heck, if your friend had simply read Spike's guide to building a lower that they posted on their forum on ARFCOM, he wouldn't have broken the ear.

I agree. I just apologized to Tom Miller.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-13-12, 20:25
I will buy it from you

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
06-13-12, 20:27
I will buy it from you

It's not mine, already sold it to the friend who broke it :dance3:

Eric
06-13-12, 20:33
How is it lame if it helps someone else not make the same mistake? Your condescension is duly noted. :big_boss: Your intent obviously was not to assist others in the proper installation of the trigger guard . It appeared that you posted information, to include the chain of private emails, in an attempt to pressure Spikes into replacement of a part that was damaged due to improper assembly, or otherwise discredit them for something that was not their fault. That, was lame. Your original post has been changed. I guess we can agree to disagree and move on.

C4IGrant
06-13-12, 20:38
Just file it smooth and then install a MIAD (Full). Will work just fine.

C4

AKDoug
06-13-12, 20:40
Stark grip.. problem cured (other than future resale)

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
06-13-12, 20:41
Your intent obviously was not to assist others in the proper installation of the trigger guard . It appeared that you posted information, to include the chain of private emails, in an attempt to pressure Spikes into replacement of a part that was damaged due to improper assembly, or otherwise discredit them for something that was not their fault. That, was lame. Your original post has been changed. I guess we can agree to disagree and move on.

Yeah, we'll just move on. I've apologized to Tom and don't have any hard feelings here.

badness
06-13-12, 20:50

This information is posted everywhere. The fact that your friend broke it is probably because he didn't do enough research to know what he was doing. I've never replaced a trigger guard before but i've known that the ears are prone to breaking for years.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
06-13-12, 21:20
This information is posted everywhere. The fact that your friend broke it is probably because he didn't do enough research to know what he was doing. I've never replaced a trigger guard before but i've known that the ears are prone to breaking for years.

Yep, I for one usually learn by mistakes. It's much better to be informed than to learn that way. I didn't do it but I've done much worse.

Tom's already offered me a lower at a low, low price. I told him he is going to come out on top because a lot of people here got really worked up over this and now spike's is at the top of the thread. I have no problem with Spikes either way, just trying to help my friend out because I felt bad for him. I was out of line in my first email. "To err is human to forgive is divine..."

Thankfully, M4 Carbine is not ban happy. I'm banned over at ar15.com for putting a link to a gun broker auction (yeah I did it twice and got banned after being warned.)

SW-Shooter
06-13-12, 21:50
That being said, THIS WAS YOUR FRIENDS FAULT. He didnt support the lower ears properly, ANY lower reciever will break like this if you dont support the ears properly.

What an asinine quote. Any lower would break if it is improperly assembled. Jesus, the crap that people say in this forum. Just to add Brownells has the Spikes Tactical lower listed as their highest rated product rating. The sheer number of Spikes lowers in End-users hands is staggering, I've only heard of a few problems with them (usually caused by people like the TO's friend) but they are low tier so they must be garbage. A S I N I N E

Robb Jensen
06-13-12, 22:46
Why people think that they are qualified to work on ARs without proper training or at least live in person guidance by a qualified Armorer and not expecting that they might **** something up is beyond me. I've watched open heart surgery on T.V. and have been in an O.R. and E.R. as an EMT for surgeries and I would never attempt heart surgery...

SW-Shooter
06-14-12, 00:58
Why people think that they are qualified to work on ARs without proper training or at least live in person guidance by a qualified Armorer and not expecting that they might **** something up is beyond me. I've watched open heart surgery on T.V. and have been in an O.R. and E.R. as an EMT for surgeries and I would never attempt heart surgery...

I agree. The problem is "friends" telling them how easy they are to build. Well, not everyone has the ability to do even simple tasks without screwing them up, these are usually the types that don't research a project before they go finger banging it. I'm the anal retentive type that reads the instructions on everything, my Father taught me this and to this day it has been one of the most valuable lesson he instilled in me. I know dozens of G.I.'s that blew up perfectly good electronics because they failed to do something as simple as reading a label.

devinsdad
06-14-12, 01:21
To the OP, If you are a Type 2 and 7 manufacturer of firearms, why didn't you just install the guard for your friend and this wouldn't have happened? I'm actually amazed that a maker/gunsmith would post something like this and question why the original manufacturer of the part wouldn't give a refund or replacement? If someone broke one of your rifles that you sold doing backyard gunsmithing, would you feel obligated to replace the broke/screwed up part? I truely feel this was yet another attempt to throw stones at Spikes... and it sure didn't turn out the way you thought eh?

JR TACTICAL
06-14-12, 01:31
Its really not that big a deal, shit happens, I know a 10 year LEO armorer who did this to one of his lowers because he was just in a hurry, we fixed it with a Stark grip. At the end of the day its an easy fix, as stated above in another post as well, a Stark grip will fix this problem or a MIAD full kit(good luck on this one though, I dont think Magpul is making them anymore)

I bet you buddy never does this again, good luck with the fix, whatever route you decide to go

JR

SW-Shooter
06-14-12, 01:35
To the OP, If you are a Type 2 and 7 manufacturer of firearms, why didn't you just install the guard for your friend and this wouldn't have happened? I'm actually amazed that a maker/gunsmith would post something like this and question why the original manufacturer of the part wouldn't give a refund or replacement? If someone broke one of your rifles that you sold doing backyard gunsmithing, would you feel obligated to replace the broke/screwed up part? I truely feel this was yet another attempt to throw stones at Spikes... and it sure didn't turn out the way you thought eh?

Sure makes the OP sounds like a Bravo Foxtrot.

p22shooter30
06-14-12, 01:39

open heart surgery = hard
installing a LPK = easy

special training is not required to push a few pins and springs into a lower receiver.

Bowser
06-14-12, 01:51
You can use this piece of crap.

http://i.imgur.com/WQ78P.jpg

Animal_Mother556
06-14-12, 03:03
special training is not required to push a few pins and springs into a lower receiver.

Ummmmmmm Really?...I think the original post shows that in some instances it IS required...

So, the first lower that you ever built (if any) you are saying that you just opened the package of parts, and slapped 'er together, huh? No instruction whatsoever?

Iraqgunz
06-14-12, 04:43
Thank you once again for reiterating this. I think tomorrow I am going to go out and rebuild my brake system. Anyone want to cruise with me afterwards? :rolleyes:

Iraqgunz
06-14-12, 04:44
Take a guess as to how many idiots said the same thing you did below and then lived to regret it.

installing a LPK = easy

SMETNA
06-14-12, 04:47
Take a guess as to how many idiots said the same thing you did below and then lived to regret it.

2,438?

Robb Jensen
06-14-12, 04:56

Yep I 'un****' people's mistakes daily.

Common things I see screwed up on lower receivers:
Lose receiver extension due to improper torque and lack of castle nut staking.
Missing/damaged buffer retainer and/or spring.
Bent takedown pin spring.
Fire control parts installed incorrectly.
Disconnector spring in lower where the bolt catch spring should be.
Missing selector detent or damaged selector spring.

C4IGrant
06-14-12, 06:30

Right, but how many people have you read say; "Building AR's is easy and no special skills needed." Then you see their builds and just :sarcastic:

C4

C4IGrant
06-14-12, 06:32
installing a LPK = easy

There are right ways and wrong ways (as shown in this thread and many others). Yes, training is needed to build an AR properly.

C4

wtheesfeld
06-14-12, 07:06
Would anyone with experience mind showing the RIGHT way to do this? I would like to install mine, but after this thread, I'd like to see a pro do it! YouTube is no help, everyone seems to have their different basement methods

Robb Jensen
06-14-12, 07:15
Would anyone with experience mind showing the RIGHT way to do this? I would like to install mine, but after this thread, I'd like to see a pro do it! YouTube is no help, everyone seems to have their different basement methods

Look into taking an AR armorers course. Especially if you own or plan to own more than 1 AR.

C4IGrant
06-14-12, 07:16

I generally bevel one end of the roll pin and then put some lube in the hole. Then support the ears as best you can. Go slow and make straight (vertical) strikes with the hammer.

Or follow Robb's post.

C4

C4IGrant
06-14-12, 07:19
Look into taking an AR armorers course. Especially if you own or plan to own more than 1 AR.

Right, but I think it should be noted that not all armorer courses are the same (or equal).

I had some friends take an armorers course from a guy that I felt was knowledgeable. After the course, I asked them if the guy showed certain things (tips, tricks, etc) and they said no. So I am almost at the point where I think I might have to teach some classes this year.

C4

Robb Jensen
06-14-12, 07:25
Right, but I think it should be noted that not all armorer courses are the same (or equal).

I had some friends take an armorers course from a guy that I felt was knowledgeable. After the course, I asked them if the guy showed certain things (tips, tricks, etc) and they said no. So I am almost at the point where I think I might have to teach some classes this year.

C4

Very true.

p22shooter30
06-14-12, 09:36
Ummmmmmm Really?...I think the original post shows that in some instances it IS required...

So, the first lower that you ever built (if any) you are saying that you just opened the package of parts, and slapped 'er together, huh? No instruction whatsoever?

you got me there, right you are buddy.

the first one i put together i printed off instructions from the internet. the rest were easy after that, except chasing springs around the floor.

2arkba
06-14-12, 10:32

keep telling yourself that

2arkba
06-14-12, 10:37

If you are mechanically inclined it really isn't that difficult.

TMS951
06-14-12, 10:50
If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it.

I own a german performance car shop. We on a daily basis are tasked with un****ing shit people try to do at home in their drive way using directions from the internet.

BGREID
06-14-12, 12:59
Tell your friend he can buy a pistol grip with a built in trigger guard. That is the best fix I can think of.

chadbag
06-14-12, 13:17
One big problem is that people don't get the right tools to do the job. If you have the right tools, some patience, and good instructions (hopefully including pictures and/or video), assembling an AR is not hard. But get the right tools (punches etc). Have patience, and get someone who has done it before and has their crap together to show you, or get good "professional" instructions and take your time.

Or get someone else to do it for you.

wahoo95
06-14-12, 13:57
You'd be amazed at how a drop of oil and a simple roll of electrical tape makes installation of that pin easy. Its the perfect height and supports that ear perfectly.

Building a functional and reliable AR is not difficult, however one must be mechanically inclined and have some good common sense ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Icculus
06-14-12, 14:14
While its a bit of overkill in the tools dept the Brownells blocks work quite well. I' don't know if I'd advocate going out and buying them if you didn't already have them or are going to put together lots of lowers but they do work.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20727/avs|Make_3=AR-15zz1zzM4/Product/AR-15-FRONT-SIGHT-BENCH-BLOCK
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24254/Product/EXTRA-LARGE-BENCH-BLOCKS
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11638/learn/

Iraqgunz
06-14-12, 14:17
I think we can close this now before it becomes more muddled. The lessons learned are this;

1. AR's are not like Legos and require knowledge to properly build.

2. Use the right tools for the right job.

3. Take a course on how to properly build an AR.