PDA

View Full Version : Question on M&P VTACs

jsbcody
06-13-12, 22:17
I am really thinking of getting an M&P VTAC (probably a 9mm) but I have a question concerning the VTAC sights. I have done some research and saw where there have been issues of the fiber optic falling out or the sights being loose and/or falling off. Has this been corrected in the current VTACs?

If it hasn't, I will probably go with a M&P with DCAEK and Ameriglo sights through Grant at G and R Tactical.

C4IGrant
06-14-12, 06:57
I am really thinking of getting an M&P VTAC (probably a 9mm) but I have a question concerning the VTAC sights. I have done some research and saw where there have been issues of the fiber optic falling out or the sights being loose and/or falling off. Has this been corrected in the current VTACs?

If it hasn't, I will probably go with a M&P with DCAEK and Ameriglo sights through Grant at G and R Tactical.

I don't think it is all the common, but if it does happen, S&W will fix them.

C4

plouffedaddy
06-14-12, 08:09
A danger with any F/O sight is the tube falling off/breaking. It's just a risk you take with that type of optic.

But the good news is that S&W has great CS and will replace them for free so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Spiffums
06-14-12, 08:11
Or you can just buy replacement/spare FO tubes and do it yourself.

kmrtnsn
06-14-12, 09:42
All above are correct. It is a design issue of ALL fiber optic sights, it happens and is easy enough to fix yourself.

Magsz
06-14-12, 12:43
The issue is "prevalent" on the VTAC sights because of the way the fiber optic tubes are secured.

Unfortunately they are glued in like TFO's rather than secured in the traditional method of having the rod recessed into a countersunk hole in the sight.

The sights are still perfectly usable just like any fiber optic sight should the rod fall out. It is a risk you take when you run this type of sight so having said that, i wouldnt sweat it too much but if you do pick up a VTAC be sure to check the glue holding the fiber rods in periodically.

rh88
06-16-12, 11:37
It only took about 250 rounds for my vtac front fiber optic to fall out. I tried replacing the rod myself, which was fine but it never was as bright as the factory one. I called SW and they were very aware of the problem. I sent it back and SW replaced the front sight. Before shooting it again, i placed a little clear epoxy with a toothpick at the edge of the FO rod and the top of the sight.
So far no issues.

jmoney
06-18-12, 07:23
2k rounds no problems in mine, but I am going to put some clear epoxy inmover the front sight... That's a good idea

shrek25
06-18-12, 12:41
What is the diameter of the fiber optic insert for the front VTAC sight?

Thanks,
Shrek25

DJK
06-18-12, 18:21
What is the diameter of the fiber optic insert for the front VTAC sight?

Thanks,
Shrek25

.080. I have some green if you need a piece. Speed Shooter Specialties sell it by the inch. The replacement rod is not as bright as the original piece.

samuse
06-18-12, 21:24
I don't use f.o. sights but I've fixed a bunch of 'em.

I like to slide the f.o. rod through the front sight and melt the tip until a ball forms and gently pull it into the sight, forming it to the hole.

Then clip the front end off about 3/32" fast the sight and melt that end.

It's important to not have too much rod sticking out when you do the second end because you want the shrinkage from melting the rod to pull it snug to the sight so it doesn't slide back and forth in there under recoil.

I cut 'em with fingernail clippers and melt 'em with a cigarette lighter, being careful to not let the flame touch the f.o. Just let the heat melt it and it'll stay good 'n bright.

Very easy and doesn't take more than a minute once you do it a couple of times.

shrek25
06-25-12, 19:02
DJK,

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to order some to have around. I will check out Speed Shooter Specialties.

Shrek25

narcodog
06-25-12, 19:36
I picked up a VTAC 9mm over the weekend that was built in May. The front sight appears to have a little extra clear epoxy over the front that forms kind of a dome. Other VTACs that I have handled didn't have this done. Maybe something new to address the issue?

press8506
06-25-12, 20:01
I bought a new vtac back in Febuary and while I haven't had any problems with the fiber optic, the tritium in the front fell out after 100 rounds. Their customer service is some of the best I have ever had to deal with. Even if you had a problem, it will be taken care of.

Apricotshot
06-25-12, 21:00
I picked up a VTAC 9mm over the weekend that was built in May. The front sight appears to have a little extra clear epoxy over the front that forms kind of a dome. Other VTACs that I have handled didn't have this done. Maybe something new to address the issue?

As did mine, born in May as well.