PDA

View Full Version : N-Frame grips

rjacobs
06-14-12, 01:31
Finally shot my 1976 44mag N frame yesterday. Its got the target grips on it. Holy hell it beat my hands up, right in the web and then the cylinder release beat up my thumb a little. That was with some decently powerful 240g factory loads.

Anybody got any suggestions for grips that may be a little slimmer(I have fairly small hands) so I can get a little better grip on the gun. And if not slimmer maybe something a bit more comfortable.

Maybe the Hogue or Pachmayr.

Not opposed to wood grips, maybe some Spegel's.

Anybody have thoughts.

Maybe I just need to focus on loading up some cowboy loads for it with some trailboss.

Maybe I just need to stop being a pussy.

TiroFijo
06-14-12, 09:10
If you have small hands the Hogue monogrips will probably fit you fine, and if you choose rubber absorb some of the recoil. Grip your gun with the thumb a little lower, I'm used to a very high grip on my pistols and have to change my grip a little with the 629.

The S&W target grips are too large for most people.

Try reloading some mid range loads, like 240 gr lead bullets around 1000 fps with lower doses of faster powders like unique, makes a world of difference for long training sessions.

tdb59
06-14-12, 09:32
Craig Spegel makes some very nice grips.
When I ran a model 29 a hundred years ago, I used Pachmayr ' small ' size presentation grips. Now all that is produced is the 'large', so you will need to search auction sites, gun shows, etc.

Inside the grip is marked N SMALL.

BTW- the Gripper models suck on a 29.

Hizzie
06-14-12, 12:05
N-frames just don't fit me. My hands aren't big enough. That said my favorite K/L-frame grip is the Miculek by Hogue. Oddly comfortable. Try breaking the lower edges on the cylinder release with a file to keep it from cutting you. You could also replace the flat latch with a newer teardrop style.

You could also try the reinforced grip. Try taking your support hand thumb and wrapping it OVER your firing hand. Obviously this is a revolver specific grip.

Nothing wrong with cast bullets and TrailBoss.

Deputy Dan
06-14-12, 14:05
Smith also made N Frame Magna grips that are great if you can't get your hands around the target stocks.

I have regular magnas on a Highway Patrolman and PC Magnas on a Model 58 and a 520.

M4Fundi
06-20-12, 04:36
Here are the Spegels. I do not believe he makes them in anything other than checkered and it is razor sharp. Too sharp and the grips are too small for the Bear Loads I use. I would love them on a J or K frame. They are beautiful tho:p

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_4222.jpg

Comparison of the Spegels next to the Hogues. If I was carrying in very cold winter weather and wearing heavy gloves the Hogues are the way to go. Very narrow and grippy as hell with finger grooves. Bare handed they are too narrow and concentrate all the recoil to a very narrow area of the hand (for me)
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_3982.jpg

Kim Ahrends grips are about as perfect as anything I have found. No checkering. Finger grooves which I prefer on the big bore magnums and medium size grips that are wider and more hand filling and MUCH better distribution of recoil in the hand! These grips are game changers for me. The only thing that needs changing on them is you really should soften the corners of the thumb swells to more round and then if you send them back to Ahrends they will respray them for you and look like new. The wood is beautiful also!
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_1685_2.jpg

IMHO;)

cbr
06-20-12, 09:27
I have a set of Ahrends combat grips on my 629 and love them. Much thinner than the factory grips. You might check them out.

Ranger325
06-20-12, 11:52
A few years back I invested in a pair of Keith Brown Ropers and I love them! They have the coke bottle shape and are checkered with the traditional Roper 'ribbon' style. I use them on my 4" 29-2 and 5" 27-2. They are great to shoot and are absolutely beautiful. Here is his website: http://www.keithbrowngrips.com/

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c36/Ranger325/brownroper.jpg

You may also want to try the S&W for additional ideas. Good luck in your search..........

okie john
06-20-12, 12:44
I have a Model 29-2 like yours, and I’ve literally felt your pain. Remember that when the N-frame came out in 1908, a 250-grain slug at 950 fps was the hottest handgun load going. It’s just not designed for real recoil, no matter what grips you use. Also, factory target grips are among the worst for handling recoil—even Elmer Keith didn’t use them.

There’s a lot of good advice here, but your hand shape matters more than anything. Your mileage will definitely vary, so try before you buy if you can. I’ve learned that Hogues hurt my hand, Pachmayrs reduce recoil somewhat but they’re ugly, and Ahrends are gorgeous but seem to make recoil worse. After dropping loads of cash on nice grips, I ended up back with factory Magnas with either a Pachmayr grip adapter or a Tyler T-grip.

You’re definitely wise to consider lighter loads. I can get away with using factory Magnas because I never shoot full-power ammo in my Model 29-2. This reduces recoil and it makes the gun last longer. Most dyed-in-the-wool Smith guys treat the 29-2 like a 44 Special that can shoot magnum loads in a pinch. They save the hot stuff for Endurance Package guns or they get a Ruger and load it to the gills. A good 250-grain SWC over 8-10 grains of Unique (~1,000 fps) is mild, accurate, and deadly. I’ve killed everything from bullfrogs to deer with it.

A few other things: factory target grips are easy to damage, so replace yours with something more functional before you chip them. Then if you need to sell the gun, you can sell it with new-ish grips, which can add as much as $100 to its value.

The 70’s vintage cylinder release is as much of a drag as factory target grips when it comes to recoil issues. But rather than deburring your original one, which can also affect the gun’s value, I’d replace it with the newer version from Smith or Brownell’s.

Other than that, enjoy your Model 29-2. Whack a deer with it. They’re among the most accurate factory handguns I’ve ever owned.

Let me know if you have questions.

Okie John

blake g
06-20-12, 14:08
Here are the Spegels. I do not believe he makes them in anything other than checkered and it is razor sharp. Too sharp and the grips are too small for the Bear Loads I use. I would love them on a J or K frame. They are beautiful tho:p

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_4222.jpg

Comparison of the Spegels next to the Hogues. If I was carrying in very cold winter weather and wearing heavy gloves the Hogues are the way to go. Very narrow and grippy as hell with finger grooves. Bare handed they are too narrow and concentrate all the recoil to a very narrow area of the hand (for me)
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_3982.jpg

Kim Ahrends grips are about as perfect as anything I have found. No checkering. Finger grooves which I prefer on the big bore magnums and medium size grips that are wider and more hand filling and MUCH better distribution of recoil in the hand! These grips are game changers for me. The only thing that needs changing on them is you really should soften the corners of the thumb swells to more round and then if you send them back to Ahrends they will respray them for you and look like new. The wood is beautiful also!
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_1685_2.jpg

IMHO;)

Ahrends makes some really nice grips, they changed the game for me too with the Mountain Gun.

Those are some ass-kicking boots!!!!

rjacobs
06-20-12, 15:25
Thanks for all the suggestions once again.

I ordered some Hogues to try out. I have pretty small hands(shoot and carry my M&P's with the S palm swell) so they may work out.

I also want to order a nice set of wood grips and save the target grips since they are in really good condition.

Good call on the cylinder release as well. I will check out the new ones from Brownells.

I honestly am not going to shoot this one to much since its in really good condition and I dont want to mess it up by shooting it to much. Im thinking of buying a newer 29(or 629) to use as a shooter or a Ruger as was suggested(shot my buddies dads Ruger with the ported barrel and it was pretty decent).

M4Fundi
06-20-12, 16:48
The most fun you will ever have with a handgun is shooting your N-Frame with 44specials in it. It is like shooting a 38spl only you have bowling balls coming out the end:p

I'll set up a cof and shoot it this way one handed cavalry style and it is a hoot. If you reload the 44mag is very versatile.

anachronism
06-23-12, 18:55
Try the Hogues and see what you think of them. You can order wooden Hogues with or without the finger grooves. A friend ordered his with only one finger groove, so there's some flexibility there.