PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on next upper build: Pistol .223 Upper or 300Blackout Middy

JusticeM4
06-14-12, 04:33
Hey guys, I need some input on my next AR15 upper build.

Currently I own just one AR15, a 5.56/223 Carbine with Spikes Tactical lower. The upper receiver is by Rguns and I don't particularly like it, although it has performed ok.

I'd like to build a better upper and get everyone's opinion on which would be a better route to take. Here's my situation: I'll most likely just be using one lower, the Spikes I currently own and just build a 2nd upper to swap with. I'm pretty set on getting a Daniel Defense flat top upper receiver. Yankee Hill Diamond series quadrail.

So my choices are

1. 300Blackout 16-inch barrel with midlength gas system.

2. 5.56/223 Pistol upper, maybe 7 or 9 inch barrel.

The advantage of the 300 is larger caliber with possibility in the future of going suppressed (after I set up my Trust and all that NFA paperwork). Downside is that ammo is only available online for now, and the 300 barrel is still kinda expensive. The one I'm looking at is about $280.

Pro's on the Pistol Upper 5.56/223 is that ammo is readily available obviously and can swap completely with my current carbine, no mag change needed. just pop on the pistol upper and I'm good to go. Minor downside is that I'll probably have to buy a pistol buffer, and sight radius is reduced.

Which route would you recommend? I'm on somewhat a tight budget so this will be a slow build, may 2-3 months as mortgage and college loans come first. Down the road i'll eventually get another lower when funds allow.

Thanks in advance, and mods pls move to appropriate section if needed.
As a side note, I have shot both a 300Blackout AR and a Pistol AR. I like them both, just different tools or toys, however you wanna put it.

!Nvasi0n
06-14-12, 06:46
Why not consider 300 BLK for the pistol build too? It will outperform the .223/5.56 in pistol for anyhow. It is going to hit harder, and have more distance capability at 400 yards than a .223/5.56...and you have the choice of shooting readily available subsonic ammo for less muzzle blast suppressed or unsuppressed.

Todd.K
06-14-12, 09:05
You can't make a pistol from a rifle. If you want to build one it needs to be with a lower that has never been a rifle.

The 16" 300 BLK should be carbine gas or shorter. The smaller charge of faster powder, with a larger bore to expand into makes the correct gas port position shorter than what a 5.56 would be.

wahoo95
06-14-12, 09:09
Why not just build or buy a better 5.56 upper ....that's what I would do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

sandsunsurf
06-14-12, 09:21
You can't make a pistol from a rifle. If you want to build one it needs to be with a lower that has never been a rifle.

The 16" 300 BLK should be carbine gas or shorter. The smaller charge of faster powder, with a larger bore to expand into makes the correct gas port position shorter than what a 5.56 would be.

This, exactly.

Maybe start the SBR paperwork for what you have already, then build an 8" or 10" .300blk? The approval process is slow right now, so use cash in hand for the stamp and you'll have plenty of time to build the upper.

SomeOtherGuy
06-14-12, 09:44
What Todd K. said.

And I would be inclined to sell your Rguns upper and put your funds into a quality 16" 5.56 upper before you go off into more specialized uppers.

JusticeM4
06-14-12, 11:29
Thanks for the replies so far. keep 'em coming. I didn't know many of these things.

This is what I was initially wondering, If I could just swap the rifle buffer tube with a pistol one. I guess thats a No-no legally . Thank you.

Why not consider 300 BLK for the pistol build too? It will outperform the .223/5.56 in pistol for anyhow. It is going to hit harder, and have more distance capability at 400 yards than a .223/5.56...and you have the choice of shooting readily available subsonic ammo for less muzzle blast suppressed or unsuppressed.

This might be a great idea. Can you guys point me to a website/manufacturer that has 300BO pistol barrels?

Some other guy, I'd sell my Rguns upper but I'd like to keep a 5.56/223 carbine length upper for backup purposes and also cheaper shooting. If I did sell it, I know BCM sells uppers for $399 IIRC.

JusticeM4
06-14-12, 11:38
This, exactly.

Maybe start the SBR paperwork for what you have already, then build an 8" or 10" .300blk? The approval process is slow right now, so use cash in hand for the stamp and you'll have plenty of time to build the upper.

I'd love to do this, but that would be even more of a longer wait considering this is already a slow build due to financial restrictions.

My roomate right now who has a 16-in .300Blackout Carbine has been waiting on his NFA paperwork for his SBR a while. Dunno when he's gonna get it but i'll ask him. I believe turn-around time is about 6months, and I prefer to have this build completed by the end of the year.

I've already researched into the NFA route for SBR/Suppressor; I'd prefer the Suppressor instead of the short barrel 300 (blame Hickock45 for that lol ). the total costs for all that is close to $1000, which I could build/buy a quality 2nd rifle instead like Colt or BCM.

Lawyer is about $250, tax stamp is $200, Suppressor I want from AAC is $600... and thats not including the upper/barrel/etc.

Someone wanna loan me $2k and i'll be set LOL

sandsunsurf
06-14-12, 12:10
Save the $250 on the trust and go the individual route. My first stamps are all individual. The only realistic downside is that you have to be present when somebody else wants to possess the NFA items.

The .300blk is so well suited to shorter barrels that I think you should take advantage of that. In other words, if you want short, go .300blk, if you want 16" then go 5.56.

Source for quality short .300blk barrels is Noveske. I bought their 8" barrel after I loved the 12" complete upper so much... One word of advice- mine was picky on BCGs, and I ended up with a Noveske BCG to keep it 100% reliable.

Good luck with your build, either way. I've found AR-15s to be addictive, mostly because they're so flexible and modular.