PDA

View Full Version : Left handed...did some shooting today...

Animal_Mother556
06-14-12, 16:26
Okay, not sure where this thread should go.

So, as the title says, I am left handed. For the past 5 years or so, I have adopted the more aggressive shooting style for ARs (support arm forward, thumb high). I do most of my shooting in the Fall or Winter (I like cool weather). Today I did some shooting...maybe 500 rounds or so...in short sleeves. My support arm gets pounded by ejected brass like crazy (burns, cuts and such). In the Fall/Winter, it's a non-issue because of the long sleeves.

Soooooo...getting my forearm tore up during every magazine is a nuisance and seems dangerous. I love using an aggressive grip, but, once again, being left handed is messing it up. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever tried changing the shell-deflector angle...or is that probably not a good idea? I'm just kinda brainstorming here...

Thanks guys! Here are some photos of my arm. The pictures don't do it justice...1st and 2nd degree burns (not terrible, but it hurts like a bitch). I actually have a scar on my support arm from a couple of years ago...in the shape of 5.56 brass...

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k618/AnimalMother_556/2-1.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k618/AnimalMother_556/1-1.jpg

SpankMonkey
06-14-12, 16:34
The easiest fix is to put on a long sleeve shirt and remove it when your done. Don't screw with a working rifle. :no:

cop1211
06-14-12, 16:43
Hmmmm. I'm a lefty and shoot the same style, no burns etc,
The marks also look like they are on the lower forearm,
Have you checked the ejector?

3 AE
06-14-12, 16:49
For warm weather use you can try using one of those slip on forearm guards used by archers. Examples,

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/realtree-ez-arm-guard.html

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?show=rate&c=81&s=298&p=327&i=9051X#full

TucsonFX4
06-14-12, 16:55
The burns do seem kind of low on your forearm. As if the brass is being thrown forward. Where does the brass land (if you move your arm so you can see where they land)?

Animal_Mother556
06-14-12, 16:57
Hmmmm. I'm a lefty and shoot the same style, no burns etc,
The marks also look like they are on the lower forearm,
Have you checked the ejector?

It ejects in the same pattern/distance as other M4 style guns I have used...

Yeah most of the burns are down towards my wrist.

I would like to add something else here...my rifle has a carbine length forearm, and I have long arms...so, I have to extend the stock to the second-to-last hole in order to be able to extend my support arm to where it is comfortable. I THINK with a longer forearm, I will be able to get my arm even farther forward, which I think will allow me to keep arm a little lower...dunno yet.

Thanks for the response

Animal_Mother556
06-14-12, 16:58
The burns do seem kind of low on your forearm. As if the brass is being thrown forward. Where does the brass land (if you move your arm so you can see where they land)?

Yeah, it throws them forward a little bit. I have seen numerous other carbines that do this.

halmbarte
06-14-12, 17:22
Wear a shirt with sleeves.

H

badness
06-14-12, 17:39
brass catcher

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR033-7.html

Casull
06-14-12, 17:54
It would be cool if you posted a photo of how you're holding it. It's my understanding that some aggressive shooters have their arm very high. Although if it's "reasonable" then it's possibly an ejection problem.

I very seldom get hit by my brass- at least, I think so. I'm from Arizona so a long sleeve isn't always my shooting garb.

I usually see the brass fly over my arm. It has noticeably hit my arm about two times, but it was weak ammo (which ran fine by the way).

Note: my grip is "thumb over bore."

Animal_Mother556
06-14-12, 18:37
It would be cool if you posted a photo of how you're holding it.

This photo sucks..it is a screenshot from a video...it's the best I have...

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k618/AnimalMother_556/asdfalskdfa.png

GTifosi
06-14-12, 19:10
Well there's the problem right there: your pants are down around your knees. :)

The archers arm protector is going to be about your best bet, unless you can learn to suck it up and wear long sleeves down like the guys in the desert crapholes do every day.

Uncovered you may feel cooler due to air wicking away moisture but you'll retain much more, and sunburn less, if your arms are covered.
Its not about feeling cooler, its about not dehydrating. ;)

TN_Warrior
06-14-12, 19:42
I'm left handed and haven't had a problem. Mainly because I am always wearing long sleeves of some sort.

Animal_Mother556
06-14-12, 19:42
Check this video out...my arm actually deflects brass to the other side of the rifle.

I came home from the range that day with a piece of brass rattling around in my handguard...it had fallen through one of the holes...****in left handed nonsense...

Clickie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnBf4WSDRvw&list=UUI3CVuS9uOszsoIbiRMU-0g&index=1&feature=plcp)

VIP3R 237
06-15-12, 00:19
For warm weather use you can try using one of those slip on forearm guards used by archers. Examples,

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/realtree-ez-arm-guard.html

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?show=rate&c=81&s=298&p=327&i=9051X#full

This is exactly what i do. Its nice being able to slip one on when its 100+ degrees plus in the desert while not suffocating your arm in long sleeves.

Casull
06-15-12, 04:49
Nice videos, dude.

All this makes me think I should see what it does to me for sure. I'll check tomorrow. :ph34r:

duece71
06-15-12, 05:51
Maybe its time to switch to a right hand hold and drive on. Or maybe look into a Stag.........
Seriously, a shirt with long sleeves or an archers forearm guard. What about cutting off the toe from an old sock and slipping that over your forearm? Who cares about looks on the range, it would be a lot more comfortable than getting burned.

Failure2Stop
06-15-12, 07:00
I'd play with the arm position a bit.
I shoot with both sides, as do my students, and this is not a problem I have to deal with often.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wtheesfeld
06-15-12, 09:20
I have a lefty friend who just wears a long sleeve shirt all year when shooting his ar15. One really hot day he cut off the left sleeve to stay cool(er) :)

TucsonFX4
06-15-12, 10:56
I would like to add something else here...my rifle has a carbine length forearm, and I have long arms...so, I have to extend the stock to the second-to-last hole in order to be able to extend my support arm to where it is comfortable. I THINK with a longer forearm, I will be able to get my arm even farther forward, which I think will allow me to keep arm a little lower...dunno yet.

Thanks for the response

That makes sense. As F2S mentioned, maybe try a couple different tweaks to you grip/arm position and see if you can find something that is comfortable, effective, and allows to brass to be ejected without hitting your arm.

Animal_Mother556
06-15-12, 11:04
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think my course of action will be this --

I am planning on getting a new rifle in the near future (mid-length with a 13 inch rail)...this MAY have a different ejection pattern. So, for the time being, I will try the archers arm-guard fix, instead of messing with my mechanics UNTIL I get the new rifle (which will be my "primary" rifle) and see if the different ejection pattern solves this for me.

Again, thank you gentlemen

Animal_Mother556
06-15-12, 11:12
Nice videos, dude.

Thanks, man

Dwsmitht343
06-15-12, 11:24
Another option would be a Kevlar forearm sleeve. I got a pair from a welding supply store. It wasn't expensive and it wasn't that hot on my arm either.

Larry Vickers
06-15-12, 11:35
It's part of the 'Scorpion' shooting stance of whatever it is called that has been the craze in many fanboy circles since the Dynamic Duo ( Haley/Costa) highlighted it to the world in the Magpul videos

It has been way overdone- I happened to work at a relatively minor, little known, borderline insignificant Tier One Special Operations Unit stationed at Ft Bragg for many years and the aggressive arm forward stance was used almost universally- I/we never had issues with getting my arm burned ( I shoot lefty as a primary side) as controlling the gun is more about pulling the muzzle straight to the rear- not putting your hand on top like your trying to choke a Python

Look at how I place my hand on the forearm and if you try it this problem will go away- but of course it may not nearly be as 'Tacticool' to do it my way so factor that in to your decision making process

Just my .02 cents

LAV

3 AE
06-15-12, 16:46
...... What about cutting off the toe from an old sock and slipping that over your forearm? Who cares about looks on the range, it would be a lot more comfortable than getting burned.

The cut-off sock idea is a gem of a KISS solution. I recommend you experiment with your wife's socks first. It's that "Let them know who's boss" thing! :D

Animal_Mother556
06-15-12, 17:13
It's part of the 'Scorpion' shooting stance of whatever it is called that has been the craze in many fanboy circles since the Dynamic Duo ( Haley/Costa) highlighted it to the world in the Magpul videos

It has been way overdone- I happened to work at a relatively minor, little known, borderline insignificant Tier One Special Operations Unit stationed at Ft Bragg for many years and the aggressive arm forward stance was used almost universally- I/we never had issues with getting my arm burned ( I shoot lefty as a primary side) as controlling the gun is more about pulling the muzzle straight to the rear- not putting your hand on top like your trying to choke a Python

Look at how I place my hand on the forearm and if you try it this problem will go away- but of course it may not nearly be as 'Tacticool' to do it my way so factor that in to your decision making process

Just my .02 cents

LAV

Ummm...Okay. I don't really know what I did to deserve a smart-ass tone...sorry, I guess.

Larry, I have tried your technique (and many others) over the years...

Since you refer to this as the "scorpion" (which I have never heard of) or the "Haley/Costa" I will do the same just for ease of communication. The "Scorpion-Haley/Costa" works the best for me. It is great for quick target transition, and I get much more control overall...more control by leaps and bounds.

I would rather just suck it up and deal with the burns than change my "tacticool" way of holding the gun. Obviously, how I look to the public is of HUGE concern to me:rolleyes:

I'm also not understanding your comment about aggressive grips being "overdone". Can you explain this more? Do you not think they are needed?

Guns-up.50
06-15-12, 18:50
Ummm...Okay. I don't really know what I did to deserve a smart-ass tone...sorry, I guess.

Larry, I have tried your technique (and many others) over the years...

Since you refer to this as the "scorpion" (which I have never heard of) or the "Haley/Costa" I will do the same just for ease of communication. The "Scorpion-Haley/Costa" works the best for me. It is great for quick target transition, and I get much more control overall...more control by leaps and bounds.

I would rather just suck it up and deal with the burns than change my "tacticool" way of holding the gun. Obviously, how I look to the public is of HUGE concern to me:rolleyes:

I'm also not understanding your comment about aggressive grips being "overdone". Can you explain this more? Do you not think they are needed?

I too have had this problem at one time, but after listening to people who know more than I do i have corrected the problem. I think LAV is referring to the grips being over done for the simple fact that everyone wants to be Rambo so they watch a flick or two then accentuate the teqs to look cool.
You got a someone with the no how to help, try not to get butt hurt when they tell it like it is, this is the wrong world for thin skin

Str8Jacket722
06-15-12, 18:56
Dude, you just had Larry Vickers try to teach you something and you totally took what the SME had to say wrong. Basically you complained about your own technique and then got a case of monkey butt when you read something that you didn't want to hear. My advice, either listen to the guys who have "been there, done that" and lived to tell the tale or get a straw and suck it up.

Animal_Mother556
06-15-12, 19:09
I think LAV is referring to the grips being over done for the simple fact that everyone wants to be Rambo so they watch a flick or two then accentuate the teqs to look cool.

I use it because it gives me the best control of the rifle...period.

Animal_Mother556
06-15-12, 19:14
Dude, you just had Larry Vickers try to teach you something and you totally took what the SME had to say wrong. Basically you complained about your own technique and then got a case of monkey butt when you read something that you didn't want to hear. My advice, either listen to the guys who have "been there, done that" and lived to tell the tale or get a straw and suck it up.

Seems to me Mr. Vickers is taking out some aggression on the "scorpion" grip...I was the target...I am not holding any grudges.

Also, how did I complain about my technique? I said that my friggin arm is in the way of the brass...

Believe me...If changing my technique is the last option, then I will do it. But I'll be damned if I am going to give up control just so I don't get some burns. I'd rather "get a straw" and "suck up" the burns.

Thanks

Str8Jacket722
06-15-12, 19:28
Since you refer to this as the "scorpion" (which I have never heard of) or the "Haley/Costa" I will do the same just for ease of communication.

-What he's talking about is the absurdly forward, hand over the top of the forearm grip that MAGPUL promotes in their vids. As opposed to a modified fighters stance where you are not so much "punching" the rifle out, but firmly pulling the rifle to the rear.

The "Scorpion-Haley/Costa" works the best for me. It is great for quick target transition, and I get much more control overall...more control by leaps and bounds.

-Apparently, this grip does not work the best for you as you are consistently getting brass thrown into your face and arms. Why deal with pain and injuries if you don't have to, it's one thing to deal with the dings and scrapes of hard training, it's another to do so needlessly.

-you can roll your eyes all you want, but it is obvious that A.) you are NOT sucking it up, but rather complaining to your "forum buddies" that you keep getting burned and you want the ouchies to stop or worse, B.) you WOULD rather be perceived as a hardcore tacti-guru and deal with unneeded injuries as opposed to finding a technique that works better for a left handed stance.

What the Master Sergeant is saying is that the "MAGPUL" way of punching the gun out is used by everyone out there with $40 and a couple of hours to kill, and that while it may LOOK really cool and tactical, there are better techniques out there that allow you to handle the firearm in a safe, non-injurious (to yourself) way; giving you an equal amount of stability and muzzle control as a left handed shooter.

OMT,
there are better things to get ass burned about than having a F^&ING EXPERT trying to unscrew you.

Animal_Mother556
06-15-12, 20:14
-What he's talking about is the absurdly forward, hand over the top of the forearm grip that MAGPUL promotes in their vids. As opposed to a modified fighters stance where you are not so much "punching" the rifle out, but firmly pulling the rifle to the rear.

-Apparently, this grip does not work the best for you as you are consistently getting brass thrown into your face and arms. Why deal with pain and injuries if you don't have to, it's one thing to deal with the dings and scrapes of hard training, it's another to do so needlessly.

-you can roll your eyes all you want, but it is obvious that A.) you are NOT sucking it up, but rather complaining to your "forum buddies" that you keep getting burned and you want the ouchies to stop or worse, B.) you WOULD rather be perceived as a hardcore tacti-guru and deal with unneeded injuries as opposed to finding a technique that works better for a left handed stance.

What the Master Sergeant is saying is that the "MAGPUL" way of punching the gun out is used by everyone out there with $40 and a couple of hours to kill, and that while it may LOOK really cool and tactical, there are better techniques out there that allow you to handle the firearm in a safe, non-injurious (to yourself) way; giving you an equal amount of stability and muzzle control as a left handed shooter.

OMT,
there are better things to get ass burned about than having a F^&ING EXPERT trying to unscrew you.

Who is to say that this technique is absurd if it really works for some people?

I said nothing about getting brass thrown in my face.

So, you think I WOULD rather be perceived as a hardcore tacti-guru and deal with unneeded injuries as opposed to finding a technique that works better for a left handed stance....You don't know me.

I am sorry that I didn't feel that Mr. Vickers was trying to unscrew me. Instead I got this -- "Your problem is, you are trying to be tacticool by using the Scorpion-Costa-Haley grip...try my grip"

As I said before, I have tried the LAV technique, and it works pretty damn well. Not as well as what I am doing.

Guys, I came here for some advice from people who have had the same issues that I am having. I am really digging the archers arm guard fix. I feel that using an arm guard is a much better option for ME (not talking about anyone else).

I am not holding any ill feelings towards Mr. Vickers...I just did not think it was justified for him to be a friggin' smartass about my problem when he doesn't know me. And now, because of his comment, there are people generalizing and thinking that everyone that uses a "Magpul" grip is just doing it to be cool, and that is bullshit.

In the past, I have asked Mr. Vickers for advice on running Aks left handed...and I utilize his technique...so don't think I am "anti-LAV"

Thanks guys

Str8Jacket722
06-15-12, 20:19
Also, how did I complain about my technique? I said that my friggin arm is in the way of the brass...

Color me confused... If your friggin ARM is in the friggin WAY of the friggin HOT friggin BRASS... then it's your technique. Fix your technique and you won't get burned. Simple as that.

Str8Jacket722
06-15-12, 20:29
Go back with an open mind, re-read everything that was said from everyone. And this time read the posts with a student's mindset and not a whiners attitude. You posted a problem, a problem area was identified by a SME of all people, and you're coming off as a butt hurt little kid because you felt some of us, the SME included "diss'd your form". I think it was said before, but you need some thicker skin, dude.:rolleyes:

KalashniKEV
06-15-12, 20:37
Hi!

Life-long lefty here with some advice...

Seems to me Mr. Vickers is taking out some aggression on the "scorpion" grip...I was the target...I am not holding any grudges.

Dude... not fanboying here, but did you just receive advice from a respected figure in the community and then play some pussy ass victim card when you didn't like what you heard?

There are only 3 options:

1) Cover your forearm with some type of robin hood/ marilyn manson type thing or wear long sleeves.

2) Figure out some way to toughen up the skin on your arms. It looks really thin, soft... and delicate. If you were slightly less hairy those pics might be curiously arousing.

3) Rotate your thumb down and lower your elbow. Focus on driving the muzzle where it needs to go and maintaining total control of the weapon. This is what I do.

I have had problems with brass in the past too:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/ouch.jpg

Str8Jacket722
06-15-12, 20:55
Dude... not fanboying here, but did you just receive advice from a respected figure in the community and then play some pussy ass victim card when you didn't like what you heard?

+++1

[/QUOTE]There are only 3 options:

1) Cover your forearm with some type of robin hood/ marilyn manson type thing or wear long sleeves. [/QUOTE]

:agree:

[/QUOTE]2) Figure out some way to toughen up the skin on your arms. It looks really thin, soft... and delicate. If you were slightly less hairy those pics might be curiously arousing. [/QUOTE]

:lol:

[/QUOTE]3) Rotate your thumb down and lower your elbow. Focus on driving the muzzle where it needs to go and maintaining total control of the weapon. This is what I do. [/QUOTE]

:thank_you2:

You said it better than I did!

3 AE
06-15-12, 21:08
Gentlemen, Does this thread really have to denigrate into something less than what proper decorum would dictate? The OP has a technique that works for him and many others. Mr. Vickers has his technique that works for him and many others. The OP's form and a combination of variables results in burns. Suggestions have been offered and a solution chosen. Geez, it's Friday. I think a few beers would do us all some good! Have a good weekend.

Str8Jacket722
06-15-12, 21:19
Gentlemen, Does this thread really have to denigrate into something less than what proper decorum would dictate? The OP has a technique that works for him and many others. Mr. Vickers has his technique that works for him and many others. The OP's form and a combination of variables results in burns. Suggestions have been offered and a solution chosen. Geez, it's Friday. I think a few beers would do us all some good! Have a good weekend.

I'm cracking the top of a cold one right now, Na zdrowie! Thanks for being the level-headed one.

Larry Vickers
06-15-12, 22:10
Hey bro it's real simple- I was not attacking you just the overly aggressive arm forward technique that some people teach now- the clue that you may want to alter your technique is the fact you have scorch marks on your arm

I will say it again- the overly aggressive arm forward stance has been way overblown and controlling he gun is more about pulling the gun straight to the rear ( like driving a stake straight into your shoulder) NOT about putting the hand in an over the top position that , if you are a lefty, can cause you to get burns- you are not the first I have seen with this problem- just had a guy in Michigan with the exact same situation

If you don't want to alter your stance or are not bothered by the burns in a true G Gordon Liddy fashion then exactly why did you start this thread?

LAV

Animal_Mother556
06-16-12, 07:38
Hey bro it's real simple- I was not attacking you just the overly aggressive arm forward technique that some people teach now- the clue that you may want to alter your technique is the fact you have scorch marks on your arm

I will say it again- the overly aggressive arm forward stance has been way overblown and controlling he gun is more about pulling the gun straight to the rear ( like driving a stake straight into your shoulder) NOT about putting the hand in an over the top position that , if you are a lefty, can cause you to get burns- you are not the first I have seen with this problem- just had a guy in Michigan with the exact same situation

If you don't want to alter your stance or are not bothered by the burns in a true G Gordon Liddy fashion then exactly why did you start this thread?

LAV

Thank you for a second reply. F2S (on the first page) advised me to do essentially the same thing you did...change my arm position. But, he did not feel the need to attack my form, and imply that I was only doing it to look cool...that was my only problem with your post, and as I said before...no ill will from my end. When I posted this thread, I was actually hoping you would see it...knowing that you are left-handed. When you advised me that your form was not at tacticool, and that I should take that into consideration...it just came off bad with me. I felt offended that I was thrown into that generalized group of people. I am sorry.

Animal_Mother556
06-16-12, 07:49
Go back with an open mind, re-read everything that was said from everyone. And this time read the posts with a student's mindset and not a whiners attitude. You posted a problem, a problem area was identified by a SME of all people, and you're coming off as a butt hurt little kid because you felt some of us, the SME included "diss'd your form". I think it was said before, but you need some thicker skin, dude.:rolleyes:

Okay...here we go...

I was/am completely fine with people telling me to change my form (although I do have a brain...and that brain tells me to move my friggin arm out of the way of the brass...hello). As I stated in my first post, I love this shooting technique. The reason for this thread was to see if there were any alternatives to changing my technique. F2S told me to do the same thing as Mr. Vickers did...only he said it this way, "I'd play with the arm position a bit." He didn't throw me in with the tacticool crowd automatically because I shoot this way.

As I have said, I am not angry nor do I harbor any ill will here.

I have been shooting for 24 years of my 26 year old life. I have not "been there, done that". But, I work my ****ing ass off at being a skilled shooter, and always have...my life is dedicated to it. The funding to do so is out of my own pocket, and I don't complain about that. I challenge anyone like me to be thrown in with the "tacticool" crowd by a great man like Larry Vickers and not be a little offended. Or have the same man imply that the reason you do what you do is because you watched some ****ing Magpul DVDs.

Guns-up.50
06-16-12, 09:22
Okay...here we go...

I was/am completely fine with people telling me to change my form (although I do have a brain...and that brain tells me to move my friggin arm out of the way of the brass...hello). As I stated in my first post, I love this shooting technique. The reason for this thread was to see if there were any alternatives to changing my technique. F2S told me to do the same thing as Mr. Vickers did...only he said it this way, "I'd play with the arm position a bit." He didn't throw me in with the tacticool crowd automatically because I shoot this way.

As I have said, I am not angry nor do I harbor any ill will here.

I have been shooting for 24 years of my 26 year old life. I have not "been there, done that". But, I work my ****ing ass off at being a skilled shooter, and always have...my life is dedicated to it. The funding to do so is out of my own pocket, and I don't complain about that. I challenge anyone like me to be thrown in with the "tacticool" crowd by a great man like Larry Vickers and not be a little offended. Or have the same man imply that the reason you do what you do is because you watched some ****ing Magpul DVDs.

I can understand your frustration, but I think you are taking this to much to heart. I dont think LAV meant any personal slam on you but more so the style you use. His alternative would work but if you are set on C clamp style of grip covering your skin will be your only option. All good instructors will tell you when your ****ed up; how they go about may vary you will not always like it but they are the instructor and you are the student for a reason. I have had the pleasure of taking Lavs classes and he is similar there as well if you suck look out, its not personal and your cant take it that way.. If feeling get caught up you(me, we) can and will miss something important, like you said when its out of our own pocket we cant afford this. Good luck in your shooting endeavors and solving your issue..

Larry Vickers
06-16-12, 22:23
In hindsight I should have worded my initial post differently - my distaste for the 'tacticool' shooting stances and whatnot spilled over into the post a bit more than what was needed to make the point

I would say if you alter your arm position to avoid ejected brass and pull straight back on the forearm you will find you can control the gun with no problem and The brass searing your flesh issue will go away

Best of luck

LAV

Animal_Mother556
06-17-12, 08:06
In hindsight I should have worded my initial post differently - my distaste for the 'tacticool' shooting stances and whatnot spilled over into the post a bit more than what was needed to make the point

I would say if you alter your arm position to avoid ejected brass and pull straight back on the forearm you will find you can control the gun with no problem and The brass searing your flesh issue will go away

Best of luck

LAV

Mr. Vickers, like I said before, I was hoping you would find this thread, and I am glad you decided to post in it.

I am sorry for the way I initially took your post, as I generally don't react that quickly on the forums (I like to take advantage of the fact that I can read something, then take the time to think it over...something you can't always do in a face-to-face conversation).

LAV, I totally understand when you have a distaste for something, and words just start flying out...we all do it at some point or another.

Thanks a lot, man.

tostado22
06-17-12, 18:40
I know its been posted but maybe try a different arm position. I shoot left primarily and never have this trouble. Or again it could be an ejector problem. I am shooting with a fairly new LMT bcg, havent had to tweak it. Let us know how everything turns out

MegademiC
06-18-12, 00:52
I dont know what kind of forend you're running or your arm length, but I found a farther reach made the gun much more stable with a more relaxed grip.

With my carbine forend, I have a very narrow window of arm placement and angle where the gun recoils straight back.

If I grab the barrel, the window is much larger and I can pay less attention to form and elbow placement(good form but not awkward), I can get the same results. I'll be getting a 12-13" freefloat soon.

If you havent experimented with longer forends, id suggest it. If you have, then disreagard this post.

Eurodriver
06-18-12, 08:21
This photo sucks..it is a screenshot from a video...it's the best I have...

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k618/AnimalMother_556/asdfalskdfa.png

Is that a GoPro?

Animal_Mother556
06-18-12, 10:25
Is that a GoPro?

It is actually a ContourHD -- we just used some wire to attach it to the pallet

Guns-up.50
06-18-12, 11:28
your stance kind of looks awkward to get/ stay in, you may also benefit from bladeing just a tad

KalashniKEV
06-18-12, 13:02
You also might try a loofa in the shower, a pumice infused soap, or maybe even a big chunk of some gangsta ass pumice all by itself. And some rubbing alcohol/surgical spirits...

Your skin seems really soft... and not just your dermis.

Bauer C
06-18-12, 13:25
maybe try one of those arm guards for archers? always worked for me as a kid

Str8Jacket722
07-07-12, 08:44

The issue at hand isn't your shooting, but rather your form, which is causing you injuries; and ANYONE who has been working their "****ING ASS OFF" to be a more proficient shooter would realize that they are failing themselves if they don't recognize their own shortcomings and seek self improvement.

BTW, I accept your challenge. It takes a big man to give advice, but it takes a bigger man to accept it. Personally, I laugh at the phrase "Tacticool" anyways. Now, mall ninja, that might be an insult if it weren't so dang funny.

KCBRUIN
07-07-12, 12:51
As a lefty I think it's a combination of your equipment, and the way you're using it. You're extending the stock all the way in order to get the feel of using a rifle with a longer hand guard. If you collapse the stock to where your nose is close to the charging handle, and move your hand forward 2-3 inches like you had a middy, does your arm now fall below the ejection port? On my rifles I like to be right on top of my sights. With my carbine length rifle if I use the magpul grip my right arm is slightly bent but it doesn't negate my control of the weapon. On my middy my arm is much straighter like in your videos, and still not in the way of brass being ejected.

seb5
07-07-12, 14:31
A couple of thoughts from a lefty on your technique and the resulting burns;

We used to say "aint no thing but your chicken wing" to each other when that happened. I've seen it most of the time with right handed shooters running their less dominant side(lefty). Keep the wing down.

As far as the technique that works for you, well, if you can't perform without burning yourself every time you shoot, then it's not working. If it hurts you're probably doing it wrong.

In my own odyssey of technique a few years ago I really got into becoming a better shooter and attended several classes by reputable trainers. I never got to Magpul but did buy the videos. I tried it and it worked if I modified it somewhat to avoid the hot brass. I felt like I could really control the gun. Up till this time I was almost always on the high side vs. the bottom of the pack whether that was classes, military quals, SWAT team stuff or occasional competitions.

Last year I went to a TriCon carbine class in Texas. Well, my 25 yard offhand seemed to be suffering and my 50 yard offhand for the Navy Qual test was low right somewhat consistently. I was getting frustrated and mentioned it to Jeff Gonzalez. He pretty much posted up on me for the next round. After watching me for a few minutes he made the observation that my technique was great for speed and up close, out to 15-20 yards but was not as effective as the tried and true techniques for any distance. I changed back and my scores went up the next round and stayed there for the duration of the class. Jeff also asked me if I shot enough to justify 2 totally different techniques. No, I told him, and he suggested using 1 technique that worked from 0-200 and getting more proficient than trying for the next cool grip or stance. I took his advice. As far as the technique it was still very effective but consisted of, you guessed it, gripping a bit further out and pulling the weapon into your shoulder pocket with either a hand stop, VFG, or just a solid grip on the hand guard.

halo2304
07-07-12, 14:43
Here's an idea, get an old sock that maybe has a hole in it and cut open the toe and slip it on like an archer's forearm guard. (Just use a clean one though.) It's quick, cheap and, depending on your laundry habits, dirty. :D