PDA

View Full Version : SPARE LOWER...GOOD IDEA?

ROUTEMICHIGAN
06-14-12, 18:39
M4Carbineers-- I have 2 uppers that split their time on one stock Daniel Defense lower. I pretty much keep it on my 14.5" Centurion Arms middy upper (the other upper is a DD 16" carbine). I've shot close to 10K rounds off this one lower. In all the time I've been shooting (including my time in the military), I've never seen (or heard of) a lower fail or "wear out" but wondering if it might be a good idea just to have a spare in my back pocket.

JBecker 72
06-14-12, 18:44
Spare lowers turn into spare rifles real quick. So yes, you should get a spare lower. ;)

vicious_cb
06-14-12, 18:47
M4Carbineers-- I have 2 uppers that split their time on one stock Daniel Defense lower. I pretty much keep it on my 14.5" Centurion Arms middy upper (the other upper is a DD 16" carbine). I've shot close to 10K rounds off this one lower. In all the time I've been shooting (including my time in the military), I've seen (or heard of) a lower fail or "wear out" but wondering if it might be a good idea just to have a spare in my back pocket.

From what Ive seen lowers pretty much last forever barring people breaking things like the trigger guard ears or removing and installing their fire control group alot and wearing the pin holes.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
06-14-12, 18:49
Spare lowers turn into spare rifles real quick. So yes, you should get a spare lower. ;)

HA! Bingo! and then the disease spreads and goes viral! Thanks for input.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
06-14-12, 18:50
From what Ive seen lowers pretty much last forever barring people breaking things like the trigger guard ears or removing and installing their fire control group alot and wearing the pin holes.

Yep-- that's what I was thinking even with hard use if you don't mess with it too much they keep going. Thank you!

Safetyhit
06-14-12, 18:59
As you likely know it's not nearly as important as a spare BCG or what not, but there is no harm in having two lowers so long as you know they are both compatible with your upper. But even if not, just be aware of this and you can either adapt as needed or save the other one for the new upper you'll be getting eventually.

Blankwaffe
06-14-12, 19:18
I tried the extra uppers with single lower option fooling with alternate calibers.I find its easier to store the upper mounted on a lower,and I like complete guns over seperate assemblies.
Plus remember the golden rule,two is one....one is none.

Lockup1109
06-14-12, 19:41
I just had a spare str stock turn into a new rifle. And i didnt even water it. Yea get a spare lower for youre second upper and youll have two rifles. Then get a spare lower for the two rifles and repeat... Its a cycle...

3 AE
06-14-12, 21:01
This is your lucky day! G&R Tactical just happens to have a Blem BCM lower w/M4 stock for just $305. That's all it would take to have a complete second carbine as a spare. Besides that DD upper you have really wants that DD lower all for itself! :D

Beat Trash
06-14-12, 21:19
I tried the extra uppers with single lower option fooling with alternate calibers.I find its easier to store the upper mounted on a lower,and I like complete guns over seperate assemblies.
Plus remember the golden rule,two is one....one is none.

This sums up my thoughts on multiPle uppers with one lower.

JW1069
06-14-12, 21:42
This is your lucky day! G&R Tactical just happens to have a Blem BCM lower w/M4 stock for just $305. That's all it would take to have a complete second carbine as a spare. Besides that DD upper you have really wants that DD lower all for itself! :D
Genius! :dance3:

I don't think OP needs another lower as insurance against wearing his out, but having two functioning rifles is a good idea.

Javelinadave
06-14-12, 23:13

That ain't no lie!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-14-12, 23:23
I recently bought two LMT Complete lowers for $700 total. I bought them as insurance for any upcoming legal changes, and also because its handy to have a spare lower around. While Im sure they will eventually turn into other rifles, I think they are one of the better firearm "insurance" buys right now, even if nothing happens.

kaiservontexas
06-14-12, 23:46
Go for it because you could always use another rifle!

ROUTEMICHIGAN
06-15-12, 01:33
Thanks everyone for the great/helpful responses. I had to chuckle at all the posts turning the 'spare' lower into a spare rifle (I'm a total believer of 1 is none, etc.)-- and yes, the DD lower definitely wants to stay with its DD upper. It was just easier to tell the wife that the new lower was a 'spare part' that was good to have around rather then explaining to her how a whole other rifle has magically appeared in the house :D. Since I live in the PRK, I am doubly paranoid about gun rights and future availability of guns, parts and ammo.

frogger
06-15-12, 09:01
I don't think you are in any danger of wearing out your lower. However, I would get another lower for a different reason. In a true SHTF situation, you have one complete rifle and a spare upper. Wouldn't it be better to have a spare complete rifle to go to or to hand off to a less well armed friend?

evosil98
06-15-12, 09:10
My spare lower turned into a complete rifle. I got another spare and now thinking about make that into a complete one too. The cycle never ends. :D

Quentin
06-15-12, 09:59
Stripped lowers are cheap yet could be the hardest part to get in bad times. Why not at least get one and have the paperwork out of the way now. Leave it out in plain sight for her as a paperweight then slowly slip in the LPK and finally the RE kit and stock... Then tell her she has a new rifle! :laugh:

3 AE
06-16-12, 03:10
Stripped lowers are cheap yet could be the hardest part to get in bad times. Why not at least get one and have the paperwork out of the way now. Leave it out in plain sight for her as a paperweight then slowly slip in the LPK and finally the RE kit and stock... Then tell her she has a new rifle! :laugh:

I see you've walked the enlightened path before sensei. The voice of experience. Good idea!

Horsehide
06-16-12, 08:47
Spares are never a bad thing to have... No matter what happens, I doubt they will go down in price or "out of style" as the years go by.

ForTehNguyen
06-16-12, 09:13
if i had a spare lower around might as well make it into a spare rifle