PDA

View Full Version : I need a little guidance on parts lifespan

Hootiewho
01-16-08, 21:07
I am working on getting a weapons log for all of my firearms and would like to know if any of you have a link to typical parts life span. Example, the typical replacement round count of a bolt is "X rounds". Buffer tubes on cabines are out of spec at what lenght, rifles as what lenght.

I know what a bad extractor feels like and know how to check the gas rings by standing the bolt on end and making sure the rings support the weight of the carrier; but I would like to have all bases covered until I can take a class like Ken Elmores.

There may be a sticky of this somewhere, I couldn't find it. If there isn't, I think a good list of what to look for as far as time for replacement of all wear items on the AR system would be a good one to stick up. Maybe break this schdule up for different barrel lenghts/gas systems as well.

Any input?

Also please critique my log setup area; What should I add besides the basic following:

Round Count/Maintenance Log

Date

Description (make,lot #, grain)

Rounds Fired

Maintenance (sights, mech)

Notes

Thanks in Advance,

Hootie

Quib
01-17-08, 08:06
A copy of TM 9-1005-319-23&P UNIT AND DIRECT SUPPORT MAINTENANCE MANUAL is what you need. It will contain all your inspection criteria. But take note, inspections are based off condition rather than round count.

I’m not sure if this site has a manuals area where you can download a copy. A Google search might help.