PDA

View Full Version : Old P228: Can it be converted form DAO to DA/SA?

mkmckinley
06-14-12, 22:43
Couldn't find the answer in a search: I have the chance to buy an older P228 for a good price but it's DAO and I'll want to convert it to DA/SA. Is there something that would keep it from being a simple part swap? I don't have the date but it's stamped "made in W. Germany".

Alaskapopo
06-14-12, 23:08
Couldn't find the answer in a search: I have the chance to buy an older P228 for a good price but it's DAO and I'll want to convert it to DA/SA. Is there something that would keep it from being a simple part swap? I don't have the date but it's stamped "made in W. Germany".

It can be done by an armorer and with some new parts.
Pat

Scotter260
06-14-12, 23:12
Yes, I believe you'll need a new hammer and the necessary decocker parts.

http://www.topgunsupply.com should have your parts and I'm pretty sure will answer tech questions for you. If not you can always go to http://www.sigforum.com and there are plenty of helpful folks there. I believe Brownell's also has a Sig Armorer's DVD that is very very helpful however I'm not sure if its cost is justifiable to you - it is pretty cheap ($20 or less) I just don't know how much you're into Sigs to need it.

Personally I'd ask you why you'd want to do such a terrible thing but I'm odd in that I'm a fan of DAOs and converted my 95-96ish vintage 220 from DA/SA to DAO. There are some out there who'd probably like a factory DAO 228 (assuming it wasn't converted by someone) who'd maybe swap you a similar vintage DA/SA.

*Y'know, thinking about this, I'm pretty sure the hammer I bought from CDNN to do the conversion was listed as a 228/229 DAO hammer, I'm certain I got a "it'll work in a 220" at the Sig Forum. I've also only ever ordered one DAO hammer and it's in my 220 so it must have worked. If you decide to undertake this yourself and can find the decocker parts (which I know AREN'T compatible) and confirm that the hammers are compatible - I'll trade my DA/SA hammer for your DAO hammer.

Hope it works out for you.

Alaskapopo
06-15-12, 00:02
To each his own but never been a fan of long and heavy trigger pulls like on DAO sigs.
Pat

halmbarte
06-15-12, 00:12
The DAK is much better at around 6lbs, as opposed to the DAO's 12+lbs. The DAK kit can only be fitted to newish Sigs, unlike the DAO.

A far as I know any DAO or DAK equipped Sig can be converted back to DA/SA with a new hammer, trigger bar, sear, decocker, and sometimes hammer spring and strut.

Frame stripping Sigs isn't any harder than stripping a Garand. Biggerhammer has the armorer's manual with the step by step instructions.

H

mkmckinley
06-15-12, 00:20
It can be done by an armorer and with some new parts.
Pat

Pat, H, Scotter

Thanks for the advice. I know an armorer that's qualified to work on M11's, the military version of the P228, but he doesn't have any parts on hand and wasn't sure about the conversion. If I can find the parts he'll do the work. I just wanted to make sure it's not going to require anything besides different parts.

Mark

odiesplace
06-15-12, 08:14
I just did this on a p226. You will need a new hammer, de-cocking lever,bushing and bushing spring. Also a reduced power hammer spring from wolf is a nice upgrade. I find the 17# spring works well in my 228 and 226. Be sure to test with all types of ammo before you put total faith in new springs.
Parts can be found at top gun or brownell's I think they ran me about $50

Rinspeed
06-15-12, 08:55
Top Gun Supply might have the parts you need.

Dienekes
06-15-12, 22:25
Did it with a 220 some years back hoping that it would help. The operation was a success, but I still couldn't shoot the pistol well. So I converted it back to DA/SA again and sent it down the road.

Oddly enough, I shoot my new little Kahr CW45 far better than I ever did that 220. Go figure.

Spiffums
06-16-12, 07:23
There was a DAK P228 at the LGS back when they were hot and heavy in the CCW boom around here. They wouldn't come off the price for what I thought was a beat up gun, but that DAK sure was smoothed out.

Hrmm DAK in a P220.......I got 2 now, I'm thinking Project Pocket Dump #5!!!

NCMedic
06-16-12, 09:40
Top Gun Supply will have all the necessary parts to make the changes. It was ~$200 for my P220 Carry, I priced it to convert it from DAK to SA/DA but ended up digging the DAK. I'm not sure if it applies to the P228, but the frame has to have the decocker cut out to be able to swap it out, most frames after 2004-2005 should have the cut out.
You can also send it back to Sig for about the same price and they will go over everything if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, there are good videos out there that detail the process, I completely tore down my P220 about 2 days after I got it and it was not that bad.

Sent from this... Using that...