PDA

View Full Version : Digging deeper into NICS checks & retail gun sales?

30 cal slut
06-15-12, 06:38
I'm looking at the NICS transaction as a proxy measure for retail gun sales.

Something just hit me ... aren't CCW permit applications run through NICS?

Don't a lot of local CLEO's run an NFA Form 4 through a NICS check before signing off it? (And before ATFE itself runs the applicant through NICS)

Aren't all ATFE applications run through NICS (e.g., FFL apps)?

So there is some extra stuff in here, no? Any one want to take a stab at how big this non-retail gun sale activity is?

LHS
06-15-12, 10:24

Don't a lot of local CLEO's run an NFA Form 4 through a NICS check before signing off it? (And before ATFE itself runs the applicant through NICS)

So there is some extra stuff in here, no? Any one want to take a stab at how big this non-retail gun sale activity is?

Don't forget, in many states, CCW holders AREN'T run through NICS for gun purchases, as their CCW permit acts as a surrogate qualification.

CarlosDJackal
06-15-12, 10:37

- Depends on the jurisdiction. When I ran CHP (as it is called in VA) applications I had to run it through three different systems. CHPs are state issues credentials and does not necessarily require approval from the Feds. This is why there is not a universal CCW standard and why there isn't a National Reciprocity for CCWs.

- Again this depends on the jurisdiction and the CLEO. In some cases the CLEO might run it against other systems.

- I think the ATFE might actually run their background checks through IAFIS vs. NICS and then some. From what I understand NICS only checks that you are not in the criminal database system. This may not be enough as far as the ATFE is concerned because it may not be hooked into other systems or databases such as the Terrorist Watchlist, No Fly List, etc.

- Not sure what you mean by "extra stuff".

30 cal slut
06-16-12, 09:03
yee-ikes. this is more complicated than what the NICS figures suggest. :eek:

Dirk Williams
06-16-12, 10:32
What is NICS.

DW

feedramp
06-16-12, 12:00
National Index of Criminal Stuff database.

not exactly, but it sounded good.

chadbag
06-16-12, 12:46
What is NICS.

DW

National Instant Check System

Basically, the federally run "instant check" background check system for firearms purchasees that is used in those states that don't have approved substitutes. I believe it was set up as part of the legislation that got rid of the Brady Bill wait.

(For example, last I looked, which was some time ago, in Utah, long guns [purchases of] are run through a Utah run system instead of NICS, while handguns are run through NICS while Utah CCW holders, for all firearms, are run through a Utah check of the CCW permit instead).

---

Dirk Williams
06-16-12, 12:46
NCIS at least on the west coast is "National Criminal Index System". All stolen property with tangable identification is entered for LEO review and follow up investigation, to include weapons stuff. I thought it was nation wide.

On the streets we simply requested any property/weapons checks as a 10-29 via the serial numbers

NICS must be a fed thing, after 24 years on the job, I don't recall hearing that Acronym.

DW

Hmac
06-16-12, 14:22
NCIS at least on the west coast is "National Criminal Index System". All stolen property with tangable identification is entered for LEO review and follow up investigation, to include weapons stuff. I thought it was nation wide.

On the streets we simply requested any property/weapons checks as a 10-29 via the serial numbers

NICS must be a fed thing, after 24 years on the job, I don't recall hearing that Acronym.

DW

NICS is a service provided by the FBI to give states a quick and easy method of doing a sort of background check - seeing if the prospective purchaser is in the criminal database. Lots of stuff can be put into NICS, including mental health issues, domestic violence convictions, etc. It was originally part of the Brady Bill and was to be required of everyone, but was struck down by SCOTUS as an unconstitutional violation of states' rights. While most states require some kind of background check to buy a firearm, not all states participate in NICS (about 30 do). Some only use NICS for long guns and use state background checks for pistols and assault rifles. This state (Minnesota) requires a state background check AND a NICS check pistols and assault rifles (seems redundant).

Raven Armament
06-16-12, 14:36
Here in MI, CPLs go through a state level BG check.

If a CLEO does a BG check prior to signing on an F4, it's a state level check.

FFL applications don't go through NICS.