PDA

View Full Version : I have a line on where all the 5.56 ammo went

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-15-12, 09:42
I was at a local shop today, they are the whole sale distributer for a lot of other area shops. So need less to say they move a lot of ammo. I was told buy one of the managers that the federal rep told them he doesnt have any 5.56 and will not.

I guess ATK was kicked out of the Lake city plant and it was taken over by the goverment. They are shipping all excess 5.56 to somewhere in Euorope for distruction. This is due to the sales of ARs skyrocketing since obams election. The goverment is scared I suppose. If anyone has anymore info on this chime in.

Or maybe this is old news

5pins
06-15-12, 09:53
If I had a dime every time someone that worked at a gun store gave me incorrect information……….. I would have a shit load of dimes.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-15-12, 09:55
If I had a dime every time someone that worked at a gun store gave me incorrect information……….. I would have a shit load of dimes.

In most cases I would agree with you but this is not your avarage shop. They are informed so I belive them.

Ironman8
06-15-12, 09:57
That is what I was thinking as well...at least I hope so.

ETA: if you do believe them, then do you know if this only applies to loaded ammunition, or if this will apply to excess brass, powder, primers, ect?

I know there was talk about the gov shredding once fired brass a while back, but I'm not sure if that was ever confirmed?

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-15-12, 10:08
That is what I was thinking as well...at least I hope so.

ETA: if you do believe them, then do you know if this only applies to loaded ammunition, or if this will apply to excess brass, powder, primers, ect?

I know there was talk about the gov shredding once fired brass a while back, but I'm not sure if that was ever confirmed?

No this is loaded ammo.

sinister
06-15-12, 10:50
The Lake City Army Ammunition Plant is a government-owned / contractor-operated (GOCO) business. Uncle owns the physical plant but does not have a huge permanent military or civil service staff.

I doubt the government kicked Federal out since they have the contract to run the plant:

-------------

ATK Awarded $89 Million Under Long-Term Small-Caliber Ammunition Contract

Total Value Expected to Increase in the Coming Months

MINNEAPOLIS, Feb. 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- ATK (Alliant Techsystems) (NYSE: ATK), the nation's largest supplier of ammunition, has received an $89 million order from the U.S. Army Joint Munitions Command (JMC), Rock Island, Ill., to supply small-caliber ammunition to the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD). The ammunition will be produced by ATK Lake City Small Caliber Ammunition Company, at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Independence, Mo. This is the sixth annual procurement from JMC under a ten-year basic production contract.

ATK expects additional orders over the next several months to help meet DoD small-caliber ammunition training and war reserve requirements for government fiscal year 2004. These additional orders are likely to increase the total value of the contract.

ATK Lake City Small Caliber Ammunition is one of three operating units within ATK's Ammunition and Related Products Group, which produces more than 1 billion rounds of small-caliber and medium-caliber military ammunition annually.

ATK is a $2.2 billion aerospace and defense company with strong positions in propulsion, composite structures, munitions, precision capabilities, and civil and sporting ammunition. The company, which is headquartered in Edina, Minn., employs approximately 12,600 people and has three business groups: Precision Systems, Aerospace, and Ammunition and Related Products. ATK news and information can be found on the Internet at www.atk.com.

SOURCE Alliant Techsystems

m1a_scoutguy
06-15-12, 10:53
In most cases I would agree with you but this is not your average shop. They are informed so I believe them.

Hey ICANHITHIMMAN,,are ya talking about these guys,,http://www.beikirchs.com/default.aspx I figure your in there "Area" so it mite be worth the drive for ya to go there !!! I hear good stuff about those guys ! Yesterday a buddy and I put in a Reloading Order @ PV for a total of over $1000.00 :D and while we were talking I mentioned we should ride out that way sometime and see what they are all about ! Its always good to listen to guys in the "Business" so to speak,,they do have some in-site,,,but then my Local gun guy is always talking about how ya can't get this or that & the price is always going up,,,LOL !!! Its a viscous circle for sure !!

Raven Armament
06-15-12, 10:58
ATK has the contract through September 2013.

If they were kicked out (ie breach of contract on the part of the government) it would be all over the national news on every channel. This would be big news and it wouldn't be left to blogs, forums, and the buddy-buddy system.

TucsonFX4
06-15-12, 11:06
They are shipping all excess 5.56 to somewhere in Euorope for distruction.

That alone doesn't make sense to me. I'm definitely not an insider. But why would you make excess, then take the time/expense to ship it across the atlantic, just to destroy it?

Sounds like a bad rumor. Sometimes the bigger the lie, the easier it is to convince others of it's truth.

5pins
06-15-12, 11:10
Think about it. Why would the gov ship off excess ammo to Europe? They would just store it here and then slow down production until it was used up. And that would be if there was a surplus and last I heard there’s not.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-15-12, 11:32
That alone doesn't make sense to me. I'm definitely not an insider. But why would you make excess, then take the time/expense to ship it across the atlantic, just to destroy it?

Sounds like a bad rumor. Sometimes the bigger the lie, the easier it is to convince others of it's truth.

It makes not sense to me either

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-15-12, 11:32
Hey ICANHITHIMMAN,,are ya talking about these guys,,http://www.beikirchs.com/default.aspx I figure your in there "Area" so it mite be worth the drive for ya to go there !!! I hear good stuff about those guys ! Yesterday a buddy and I put in a Reloading Order @ PV for a total of over $1000.00 :D and while we were talking I mentioned we should ride out that way sometime and see what they are all about ! Its always good to listen to guys in the "Business" so to speak,,they do have some in-site,,,but then my Local gun guy is always talking about how ya can't get this or that & the price is always going up,,,LOL !!! Its a viscous circle for sure !!

Yes and they get there stuff from AMCHAR. Its worth the drive and they carry dillion now to. Prices are great no diffrence between them and the web. They have some 1k cases of M885 for 329 for comparison if you drive around the corner to Gander Mth the same case is 429

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-15-12, 11:33
The Lake City Army Ammunition Plant is a government-owned / contractor-operated (GOCO) business. Uncle owns the physical plant but does not have a huge permanent military or civil service staff.

I doubt the government kicked Federal out since they have the contract to run the plant:

-------------

ATK Awarded $89 Million Under Long-Term Small-Caliber Ammunition Contract

Total Value Expected to Increase in the Coming Months

MINNEAPOLIS, Feb. 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- ATK (Alliant Techsystems) (NYSE: ATK), the nation's largest supplier of ammunition, has received an $89 million order from the U.S. Army Joint Munitions Command (JMC), Rock Island, Ill., to supply small-caliber ammunition to the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD). The ammunition will be produced by ATK Lake City Small Caliber Ammunition Company, at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Independence, Mo. This is the sixth annual procurement from JMC under a ten-year basic production contract.

ATK expects additional orders over the next several months to help meet DoD small-caliber ammunition training and war reserve requirements for government fiscal year 2004. These additional orders are likely to increase the total value of the contract.

ATK Lake City Small Caliber Ammunition is one of three operating units within ATK's Ammunition and Related Products Group, which produces more than 1 billion rounds of small-caliber and medium-caliber military ammunition
annually.

ATK is a $2.2 billion aerospace and defense company with strong positions in propulsion, composite structures, munitions, precision capabilities, and civil and sporting ammunition. The company, which is headquartered in Edina, Minn., employs approximately 12,600 people and has three business groups: Precision Systems, Aerospace, and Ammunition and Related Products. ATK news and information can be found on the Internet at www.atk.com.

SOURCE Alliant Techsystems

Thanks, I guess kicked out was poor wording "lost there contract" sounds better.

m1a_scoutguy
06-15-12, 11:54
Yes and they get there stuff from AMCHAR. Its worth the drive and they carry dillion now to. Prices are great no diffrence between them and the web. They have some 1k cases of M885 for 329 for comparison if you drive around the corner to Gander Mth the same case is 429

Thanks Brother,,good to know !!! Once my mad $$$$ recovers,,looks like I'll take the trip with a buddy or two !! Thats good to know about the Dillion stuff also !! Great price on ammo that you can walk in and buy !!! :D:D

BC98
06-15-12, 13:06
Atk has not lost the Lake City contract.

Traveshamockery
06-15-12, 13:48
This story is 100% tin-foil hat fantasy BS. Gun counter rumor-mongering at its worst. All it's missing is an InfoWars link for "evidence".

Thousands of lost jobs, a voided contract for the sole supplier of military ammo, and not a peep on any reputable blog or news service? Come on.

sinister
06-15-12, 16:44
ATK's business is getting cut into by the fact the Pentagon doesn't need ammo for Iraq and after 2014 it won't need it for Afghanistan.

ATK runs three big contracts for Uncle Sam: Lake City; Radford Army Ammunition Plant; and a ballistics lab.

British Aerospace (BAE) and Olin (Winchester) combined efforts and won the latest contract for the Radford Plant.

=====

ATK plans to cut jobs as ammunition revenue slides

Contracts » Firm expects impact at Clearfield site to be minimal, but scope is unclear.

By Nick Taborek And Gopal Ratnam | Bloomberg News
First Published Feb 02 2012 01:45 pm • Last Updated Feb 02 2012 08:53 pm

Alliant Techsystems Inc., the world’s largest maker of ammunition, plans to cut close to 200 jobs by April 1 as it faces heightened competition for its military contracts and lower demand from the Pentagon, CEO Mark De Young said.

The company, also known as ATK, plans to combine its missile unit with its armaments division, which produces munitions and rockets.

Alliant employs about 20 armaments workers at an office in Clearfield, Utah, but no manufacturing takes place there, spokeswoman Amanda Covington said Thursday.

The company employs 17,000 people worldwide, including about 3,000 in Utah, mostly in its aerospace systems group.

Impacts at the Clearfield office, which is headquarters for the ammunition group, will be "immaterial," Covington said, but added that any specific information will be released later.

ATK’s major armament manufacturing facilities are in Independence, Mo; Mesa, Ariz.; Radford, Va.; and Plymouth, Minn.

"Local leaders at those facilities are communicating with their employees today [Thursday]," Covington said. "Obviously we’ll have reorganization across the company as we make the shift."

On another front, ATK reported Thursday that its third-quarter profit missed analysts’ estimates because of lower sales of ammunition and aerospace products. The company also said fiscal 2012 sales would fall at the low end of its outlook and that it expects a "constrained federal budget" the following year.

"We’re going to have top-line pressure," DeYoung said. "We’re going to take proactive steps to continue to reduce costs."

BAE Systems, based in London, has been stepping up the competition for munitions contracts and revenue. The U.S. military on Jan. 24 awarded BAE a contract to operate the Radford Army Ammunition Plant. ATK had held the contract, valued at as much as $850 million for 10 years, since 1995.

Iraqgunz
06-15-12, 16:57
No shit. That has to be the silliest crap I have read in a while.

This story is 100% tin-foil hat fantasy BS. Gun counter rumor-mongering at its worst. All it's missing is an InfoWars link for "evidence".

Thousands of lost jobs, a voided contract for the sole supplier of military ammo, and not a peep on any reputable blog or news service? Come on.

HackerF15E
06-15-12, 17:15
It's amazing what kind of crap gets spread by folks in the firearms community...and the pervasive lack of knowledge on the part of those of "us" who don't know enough to not re-tell it. Retarded rumors spread faster between firearms people than they do amongst Joes living in the barracks/dorms.

Packing it up out of a GOCO plant to send to Europe to destroy it. That's rich.

GunnutAF
06-15-12, 17:57
sinister
Well gee I guess that means ammo prices are going to go through the roof again! Instead of flooding the Commercial market with cheap ammo - we'll just stop making it so prices go up!:rolleyes: Well ATK guess what I seen this comin and stocked up on reloading supplies so go ahead and close your doors - I could give two shits!:rolleyes:

Wiggity
06-15-12, 18:03
Yes this is quite the funny joke!

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-15-12, 19:08
I know its redicoulous and if it turns out false then great but if its found to be true then what would you think?

Nightvisionary
06-15-12, 21:26
After several months of empty shelves at my local stores I am finally seeing large stocks of Federal XM-193, AE223, Tracer etc. so I don't buy it.

Kokopelli
06-15-12, 21:30
With everybody touting Walmart these days, I thought I would stop by for some 22 rimfire.. 50round boxed of the cheapest hp going... What a waste of time... Never again... Ron