PDA

View Full Version : New Pmag coupler?

Pappabear
06-15-12, 10:26
Anyone run these? I was thinking of getting a couple just to try. Never gone down the SUREFIRE route. Even though I watched Gunz dump his several times without issue.

I've never run couplers at all, so thoughts in general are OK too?

I searched one thread before these were out and couplers in general got a bad rap.

snakedoctor
06-15-12, 10:29
It works. I chose not to stagger my mags like the instructions said, and it still clears the ejection port cover.

Todd.K
06-15-12, 10:37
Couplers are generally a bad idea in the field, the extra mag is exposed to dirt etc. I've seen 100 MPH tape, cardboard, and poor results a few times. Sometimes the top round slides forward in the extra mag and then it won't load into the magwell.

With the Pmag you could put the cover on, but then it's not fast. So the useful application to me is limited to times you may grab the rifle in a hurry and not have time or a place to carry a spare, but still want more than just one mag.

QuackXP
06-15-12, 12:30
Being a carbine owner for home defense I have considered this to have one extra mag with the rifle at all times. My line of work does not require me to carry a firearm so I would not be taking using it for defensive purposes outside the house.

However for a carbine class or any other reason I needed to carry it around for any extended period of time and had time to prepare I don't think I would use the coupler for some of the above mentioned reasons.

B Cart
06-15-12, 13:03
I think a mag coupler can work well for home defense if you want to just grab your rifle and have two mags on hand without trying to stuff one in your underwear. I have two Pmags coupled together for HD use that I’ve taken through a couple classes just to make sure it works. The coupled mags have functioned 100% without any issues, and mag changes are very quick. That being said, I still don’t use them very often.

TAZ
06-15-12, 14:12
I've shied away from couplers for the same reasons as stated above. In a home defense situation the dirt, grime and crap in the mag issue may be limited, unless you live in a pig stye that is. For general field use I say it's a no go.

In all honesty, I wish Magpul would have let out a cheaper alternative to the Readi-Mag that covers the exposed rounds of the back up magazine.

Wiggity
06-15-12, 15:18
I do no prefer the mag couplers because it makes the rifle feel awkward as it is pulls to one side more than the other. Surefire 60's eliminate this

saddlerocker
06-15-12, 19:10
Im sorry if this is not the place for this, but who the hell honestly thinks they might need more than 28 rounds for HD?

HD being different than SHTF.

back on topic I can see the use for a higher capacity mag like the surefire if it worked flawlessly, but for the reasons Todd mentioned I dont see the use for couplers, as I dont see them useful personally for HD either

But I am far from an expert

Jaysop
06-15-12, 19:27
Im sorry if this is not the place for this, but who the hell honestly thinks they might need more than 28 rounds for HD?

HD being different than SHTF.

back on topic I can see the use for a higher capacity mag like the surefire if it worked flawlessly, but for the reasons Todd mentioned I dont see the use for couplers, as I dont see them useful personally for HD either

But I am far from an expert

I have to agree that people get a little carried away sometimes.
If you need 60 rounds to stop a threat you need to contemplate why you'd be In danger like that, or you need to learn to place your shots better.

That being said im not big into the idea of armor and so on but that's irrelevant.

But I could see an extra mag in case of a faulty mag being benificial.

J-Dub
06-15-12, 21:23
Hmmm.

What if it was being pulled from a patrol car. I could see it being an advantage in that sense. If you need your rifle but dont have the time/ability to put on an active shooter rig, having an extra mag on the rifle would be nice.

Or just go the Surefire route.

Pappabear
06-15-12, 22:11
If I only bought shit I needed I wouldn't have an AR or 2 safes :D

I think I'll buy one and try it. Thanks for the replies.

SOWT
06-15-12, 22:16
If I only bought shit I needed I wouldn't have an AR or 2 safes :D

I think I'll buy one and try it. Thanks for the replies.

Let us know how it works.

B Cart
06-16-12, 00:55

Having a spare mag for HD is more for backup in case of a malfunction than actually needing more than 28 rounds. Either way, I don't think anyone will ever complain they have too much ammo in a gunfight....

Steve S.
06-16-12, 02:05

t

If the mag is already in the carbine for HD, there's also no reason not to have 30 or 31 rounds.

Sorry, OCD was driving me nuts to point that out.

If you want an extra mag on the carbine for HD use, there are other options. The RediMag is one. Then there are stock mag pouches for fixed and collapsable stocks.

Another option is to train malfunction drills with retaining a single mag. While not ideal in most scenarios, I do like to practice this for worst case bump in the night with no time to do anything but grab the rifle. Honestly, I think I find the BCM Gunfighter shines most in this role.

GrumpyM4
06-16-12, 04:04
I run coupled mags and it works great.

But I only use it for competition and barring some unforseeable ****ed up situation, that's all I ever intend to run it for.

I can deal with one of the several issues that can arise with couplers as have already been stated (but that I still have yet to experience) in a competition where all that will suffer is my time and scores, but i'm not willing to deal with those issues should they arise in a real life SHTF scenario.

Knowing my luck, that's when I would have those issues too, so i'm not gonna chance it.

chosinsteve132
06-16-12, 11:28
I picked up two of these at my LGS but haven't had a chance to put them to use yet. I'm hoping to take them along with me next week on my next range outting.

SWATcop556
06-16-12, 20:39
This doesn't fix anything that any other mag coupler has issues with. Even in a HD situation it sucks. The reason for having two mags on the gun for a grab and go is for malfunctions. Same reason I carry a spare pistol mag for CCW/off-duty. I don't plan on going through two G17 mags in an off-duty OIS but it sure as shit would be a quick fix for malfunctions.

If you need to carry two mags on a rifle use a RediMag. That way you can ditch a mag, fix the gun, then load a fresh one. If you want to carry 56/60 rounds on a rifle, use a Surefire.

I'm a fan of many Magpul products but this is not one of them.