PDA

View Full Version : 870

mhmills
01-17-08, 03:33
Can you install choke tubes on the 18" barrel?

toddackerman
01-20-08, 09:02

A competent gunsmith could. Don't shoot slugs through it though.

FJB
01-20-08, 09:42
mhmills,
for a combat shotgun you are much better off sending it to Hans Vang www.vangcompsystems.com for him to work his magic. Then you can have 12" 00B groups at 25 yards, as well as be able to shoot clover leaf groups at 50 yards with slugs. His work is not inexpensive but worth every dime.

S/F

toddackerman
01-20-08, 10:43
You have to consider what your needs are, and then decide what Mods. you require. I don't like the idea of choke tubes in a defensive piece. One more thing to come loose, and you can't use slugs.

I have had an 870 worked by Hans Vang with both the recoil reduction ports and the back bore Modification for tighter patterns performed. Clearly it reduced groups to be able to place all 00 Buck pellets into a humanoid target at 25 yards. The recoil reduction part of it was maybe a 10% to 15% improvement.

On the other hand, I have another 870 with an IC 18" barrel without the Vang Mods. I use the newer Federal Low Recoil Flite control Wad 00 Buck loads, and the groups are as tight, if not a little tighter than non-Flite control 00 Buck loads through the Vang barrel. The argument for the Vang Back Bore job at this point is that it works with whatever you feed it. Then again, the Federal Flite control loads are readily available. I store them for SHTF (they are more expensive than say WW 00 Buck), and train with bird shot and slugs.

FWIW...my stock 870 IC barrel with Rifle Sights hits head shots all day at 50 yards. Some prefer ghost ring sights, and some rifle sights. i prefer the rifle sights because they're just as fast for me and MUCH more accurate. From my experience, the Ghost Ring sights just leave too much room for error in the sight picture.

The deciding factor for me was how sensitive I am to recoil.? I'm not, so I think my money is better spent on something else because the patterns of the Federal Flite Control loads through an 18" IC barrel are simply perfect IMHO.

As always, these are just my opinions from my experience.

FJB
01-20-08, 12:41
I have two VC 870s. One with the recoil reduction ports (my son's) and one with out (mine). VangComping the barrel does not automatically mean recoil reduction ports, only if you ask for them. I don't see a need nor want them for 870s in a combat application. While there is a reduction in recoil with the ports, it is not significant enough to warrant the cost IMHO.

The Federal Low Recoil Flight wads do work very well, the issue is that you can't always pick the 00B you get to use when SHTF. Plus, as I am sure you have found the VC barrels shoot slugs much more accurately. Also, I have found that Low Recoil Slugs are very inaccurate in my shotguns. As you already know each shotgun shoots very differently than another and each favors a particular manufacturers load, esp with 00B. I'd recommend that whether you VC the barrel or not testing as many different 00B loads as one can in their shotgun to find the load that works best is always wise. Keep in mind though that when the SHTF you may have to use what is available not what you prefer.

As with anything, METT-TSL (Mission, Enemy, Terrain & weather, Troops (friendly) & fire support available, Time, Space, Logistics - in this case type and quantity of preferred shotgun ammo available) drives one's particular requirements for "essential life saving" tools. Like Pat Rogers, I don't aspire to mediocrity esp. with tools with which I trust my life. So it is up to the end user to determine what his life is worth.

Ghost Ring or Open Rifle sights are definitely personal preference. I have Ghost Rings, but I haven't used the rifle sights enough to say which is my preference. I have become personally and professionally biased towards putting a Micro T-1 or H-1 on a shotgun for combat, defensive, or even hunting applications. I have put two Micro T-1s on both of the VC 870s through several Louis Awerbuck and Bill Jeans shotgun classes with no surprises regarding durability, reliability, and BZO retention with either the Micros or the VC 870s.

S/F

CJFirefly
01-20-08, 12:58

Just wondering, but why couldn't you shoot slugs through it?

John Fettes
01-20-08, 22:22

The price I was quoted for this a few years ago was about $115. I don't remember if that included any chokes. I stuck with my CYL bore 18" barrel.

John

mhmills
05-24-08, 09:13

Remington has a new barrel, 18" w/Rem Choke, I already bought it.

Why can't you shoot slugs through it?

[URL="http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t224/mhmills_photo/1211525143.jpg"]

lanceriley
05-24-08, 11:33
that's because with a choke, the exit diameter becomes smaller.

mhmills
05-24-08, 14:04
It came with a improved cylinder choke, and I can buy a cylinder choke tube.

How would these be any different than a barrel with a fixed choke.

toddackerman
05-24-08, 15:18
It came with a improved cylinder choke, and I can buy a cylinder choke tube.

How would these be any different than a barrel with a fixed choke.

I could be wrong on this, but a threaded choke tube can strip out when a slug is fired through it.

Another approach is using the Federal Flite Control Wad Buck Shot loads which put all (9) 00 Buck pellets into the target at 25 yards with an improved cylinder barrel. Pretty impressive stuff. The patterns at 15 yards are about 5-7" in diameter.

Then you can use slugs without concern.

If you haven't already shot this choke tube barrel you might want to consider this option if you can return it.

Buck
05-24-08, 18:45
There is nothing wrong with shooting slugs through a barrel with screw in chokes… Just make sure the correct choke is installed for the correct purpose… Several manufacturers make both IC, cylinder bore, and rifled chokes just for shooting slugs…

Most LE circles frown on screw in chokes for duty shotguns as there are a lot more parts that have to be accounted for, and if it is a kit room gun that is issued to a different Officer every shift, who knows what choke will end up in it at the end of the shift…

I have a 20 inch 870 barrel with a full set of chokes that I use on one of my work guns and it works like a champ…

B

LOKNLOD
05-24-08, 20:56
I have a 20 inch 870 barrel with a full set of chokes that I use on one of my work guns and it works like a champ…

Sorta hijacking...I've got the same setup (minus extra tubes) but am not sure what the appropriate choke is for firing slugs. I've not had much luck confirming which one to buy. What do you use?

mhmills
05-25-08, 08:27
Found this at shotgunworld.com

Rifled Slugs (or Foster)
-Designed for smootbore barrels (use a Cylinder choke or the most 'open' choke you can)
-Can be used in Rifled barrels, but creates severe fouling and less accurate than Sabots
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foster_slug"

Brenneke Type Slugs- Designed for smoothbore barrels.
Brenneke slugs are good choice for smoothbore shooters.

With Foster slugs or Brennekes you can expect 1 ½-inch groups at 50 yards, possibly 4- to 5-inch groups at 100 yards.
Slugs can be shot through screw-in choke tubes. Choose Cylinder if possible

Sabot Slugs
-Designed for Rifled barrels or smoothbores with Rifled Chokes.
-Sabot type shotgun slugs were marketed in the U.S. starting in about 1985. When used with a rifled slug barrel, they offer vastly improved accuracy compared to traditional shotgun slugs.

mhmills
05-25-08, 08:33
I could be wrong on this, but a threaded choke tube can strip out when a slug is fired through it.

Another approach is using the Federal Flite Control Wad Buck Shot loads which put all (9) 00 Buck pellets into the target at 25 yards with an improved cylinder barrel. Pretty impressive stuff. The patterns at 15 yards are about 5-7" in diameter.

Then you can use slugs without concern.

If you haven't already shot this choke tube barrel you might want to consider this option if you can return it.

The reason that I bought the barrel with choke tubes is, most of the time it will be HD use but will double as a turkey gun when they're in season Apr15-May31

Buck
05-25-08, 14:19
Sorta hijacking...I've got the same setup (minus extra tubes) but am not sure what the appropriate choke is for firing slugs. I've not had much luck confirming which one to buy. What do you use?

I currently have a remchoke improved cylinder tube in and I shoot both Federal Tactical 9 - 00 buckshot with the flight control wad, and Winchester Ranger 1 oz less recoil, rifled slugs, through it with great results...

If I am going to shoot knockdown steel with 7 1/2 shot, I put in the modified tube...

Additionally I have shot some of the sabots with the rifled choke installed, and they are very accurate. I tried a few rounds of 00 buckshot with rifle choke installed but the rifling and the shot cup did not get along and the results were less than spectacular...

B