PDA

View Full Version : Strange G19 Problem

NeverBeLost
06-16-12, 14:02
I took my Gen 3 19 out for the first time today and I had a rather strange issue with it. It absolutely refused to lock back after the last round fired. The funny thing is though, I tried a mag or two shooting one handed, and the slide locked back no problem. Do you have any idea what would be causing this? I tried two mags and they both refused to lock while shooting normally.

Quinn
06-16-12, 14:04
Do you shoot using thumbs forward grip? Might be holding down slide stop while shooting.

NeverBeLost
06-16-12, 14:11
You know I think thats exactly what it is. My right thumb sits right on top of the slide stop while shooting. Damn, now I have to change my shooting grip. Time to start dry fire practice!

one
06-16-12, 14:32
You don't have to change it that much. Just begin building the muscle memory to offset your thumbs slightly.

Worked quite well for me.

Joe R.
06-16-12, 22:32
Never, it's just a question of rolling your right hand thumb outboard a bit so it rests on the base of your left thumb rather then the slide stop.

If this isn't clear I can probably come up with a picture of the correct grip.

This is a common issue with Glocks, Sigs, and M&Ps.

SWATcop556
06-16-12, 23:13
Is it stock or do you have an aftermarket slide stop/release?

lunchbox
06-16-12, 23:48

I was able to cure me of this with an aftermarket (Lone Wolf) slide release. The raised part gives the shooter awareness of slide release.

munch520
06-17-12, 07:54

That's what did it for me. I was fine til I installed an extended release, then the slide wouldn't lock back. :suicide2: you feel like an idiot when you finally figure it out :)

NeverBeLost
06-17-12, 14:04

I am using the stock slide stop.

I am happy this is a me problem and not a gun problem. Much cheaper to fix that way.:D

SWATcop556
06-17-12, 20:38
I am using the stock slide stop.

I am happy this is a me problem and not a gun problem. Much cheaper to fix that way.:D

Adjusting your grip ever so slightly will be the fix then (as Joe R. suggested). I was just making sure you didn't have an extended one installed. The only extended one that works for me is the TD LAV release.

Redhat
06-17-12, 20:43
Adjusting your grip ever so slightly will be the fix then (as Joe R. suggested). I was just making sure you didn't have an extended one installed. The only extended one that works for me is the TD LAV release.

What is the reason you wanted an extended slide stop?

Thanks

SWATcop556
06-17-12, 21:01
What is the reason you wanted an extended slide stop?

Thanks

It's easier for me to manipulate than the stock one. I power stroke for reloads by for clearing malfunctions it's easier to work with.

FWIW I despise the Glock OEM extended release.

coyote hunter
06-17-12, 21:50
I have the exact opposite problem with my 23. My thumb rides it upward and locks the slide back while there are still rounds in the mag.

I've changed my grip a bit. but the problem likes to weasel its way back. More practice needed I guess. Or switch to the 1911 I want.

one
06-17-12, 21:56
As I posted above. Offsetting is necessary for me, even running the LAV release. It's a far superior release than the factory stock or extended ones. However it still requires some offset.

I suppose it's a matter of hand size overall.

coyote hunter
06-17-12, 22:04
I was just thinking of swapping to the LAV slide stop. They are more like the S&W M&P style stops right? Currently I'm running the OEM extended, that came on the gun.

And I do have hands on the larger end of the scale. Those on a compact gun don't always work the greatest.

Ballistic Agency
06-17-12, 22:34
The Vickers slide stop is more out of the way and like a m&p slide stop. Give it a try, but work on your grip too.

Petrov
06-18-12, 09:08
Ah, right handed people problems :p