PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a fixed blade!!

Battle*Hound
06-16-12, 17:16
Im looking for a new fixed blade. I had searched and read til my eyes bled...looking for some ideas.

Budget is $200-$225

Fixed non tanto
no serrations or very limited
above average steel - at least D2
at least 4.5 inches blade length
full shank

will be general purpose and used for batoning if needed

Any ideas??

el_chingoton13
06-16-12, 17:31
ESEE 6, made of 1095 steel, nothing fancy but it gets the job done and brings down the price.

Battle*Hound
06-16-12, 17:40
yeah I just checked em out...I really like the design but not sure about the 1095. The 1095 is quick to stain...I get alot of humidity in the summer. Definately a viable option though

Deadinside25
06-16-12, 18:04
Check out Brock blades

drsal
06-16-12, 18:05
Surefire Echo, if you can find one. Inexpensive hiking knife, a Glock field knife. Just a suggestion.

CLHC
06-16-12, 18:12
Im looking for a new fixed blade. I had searched and read til my eyes bled...looking for some ideas.

Budget is $200

Fixed non tanto
no serrations or very limited
above average steel - at least D2
at least 4.5 inches blade length
full shank

will be general purpose and used for batoning if needed

Any ideas??
How about SYKCO 511 or SYKCO 711? Anyway, hope you find what you're looking for!

Battle*Hound
06-16-12, 18:18
Surefire Echo, if you can find one. Inexpensive hiking knife, a Glock field knife. Just a suggestion.

The echo I would consider but the "serrations" look to be worthless. The Glock just isn't in the class I'm looking for.

Thanks though

VIP3R 237
06-16-12, 18:20
The Benchmade Nimravus has been awesome for me.

CLHC
06-16-12, 18:34
Here's two (2) sub eight dollar knives I just picked up.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/BO.jpg

Haven't tried these out as yet, but from the reviews of users. They speak for themselves. Of course, Your Methods May Vary accordingly so.

nubs101
06-16-12, 18:39
I would second the ESEE. Also if you don't mind searching a Strider knife may work for you.

luvmy40
06-16-12, 18:39
I like my Nimravus, but after getting the Scrapivore, I am going to have to pick up the SYKCO 511 as well.

VIP3R 237
06-16-12, 18:51
I like my Nimravus, but after getting the Scrapivore, I am going to have to pick up the SYKCO 511 as well.

Really, why do you prefer it over the nim?

filthy phil
06-16-12, 18:56
The echo I would consider but the "serrations" look to be worthless. The Glock just isn't in the class I'm looking for.

Thanks though

and it's extremely rust prone, unlike their other products:rolleyes:

thebriarman
06-16-12, 19:04
http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/Search&Rescue.htm

I really like the Bark River knives and they've got some great designs, full tang, military tested/designed, etc. Good luck.

Battle*Hound
06-16-12, 19:38
Check out Brock blades

I Definately like!! Unfortunately his items that fit my needs are outta range. He doesn't spec them much either.

Battle*Hound
06-16-12, 19:40
The Benchmade Nimravus has been awesome for me.

I like it as well...It may be the one but damn I wish it was an inch or two longer. Such is life:D

Battle*Hound
06-16-12, 19:43
I would second the ESEE. Also if you don't mind searching a Strider knife may work for you.

Both are on the list but Strider is probably outta reach.

VIP3R 237
06-16-12, 19:43
I like it as well...It may be the one but damn I wish it was an inch or two longer. Such is life:D

we could all use another inch or two. Yeah but its a very handy blade. I have a couple friends who have used it in the sandbox and all have nothing but praise for it. One has used it to defend himself and dispatch his attacker.

Battle*Hound
06-16-12, 19:44
What about Spyderco's fixed???

Battle*Hound
06-16-12, 19:54

I really like the Bark River knives and they've got some great designs, full tang, military tested/designed, etc. Good luck.

I need to research these. At this price, with the materials being used...this is shooting to the top of the list. Thanks

luvmy40
06-16-12, 20:14
Really, why do you prefer it over the nim?

I can't say that I do prefer it over the Nimravus as I do not have one(SYKCO) yet. The Scrapivore is just a great little blade and I like the looks of the SYKCO. Just going by the quality of the scrappy, the SYKCO blade design and the features of the Resiprene handle material it looks to me like this would be a good medium sized fixed blade knife to add to my small collection.

None of my knives will be likely to see any combat but my utility blades do get a pretty good work out on hunting and camping outings. The Nim has served me well and I have nothing bad to say about it.

Battle*Hound
06-16-12, 20:25
I'm liking this one at $200

Battle*Hound
06-16-12, 20:26
we could all use another inch or two. Yeah but its a very handy blade. I have a couple friends who have used it in the sandbox and all have nothing but praise for it. One has used it to defend himself and dispatch his attacker.

Jesus...and I thought my job was rough...

jonconsiglio
06-16-12, 22:48

I don't know. I've heard the guys at Lightfighter talk about the "military testing" which was a small training group that bought a handful. They have not received great reviews by the military guys I've seen.

Strider, for the record, is one of the few that's been issued. I'd also trust an ESEE. Great knives and will be replaced right away if it's damaged or broken, like the Strider. I don't know about Bark River's warranty, they may do the same.

I'm not saying Strider is the right choice, OP, my typing just lead to it. If it is, and you can find one for a good price, look at the EB-LS for a good mid-sized knife. The Mk1 Mod 10, the D9 and the MT Mod 10 are great field knives.

I'm sure you know this, but three companies can use the same steel, s30v for example, and all three will perform differently. Strider uses the Paul Bos heat treat and their s30v has performed better than other s30v knives I've owned. I beat the hell out of my knives and can't find a reason to buy anything else.

I know they're a bit more than you want to spend, but if you can swing it, it's well worth it. If not, I'd look closely at ESEE. Their design is well suited for camping, hunting, batoning, etc. Good luck man.

SpeedRacer
06-17-12, 00:03
Swamp Rat Ratmandu? I'm by no means a knife nerd, but I recently handled a buddy's and was convinced. The guy has put the thing through pure hell (such as literally hammering it through a deadbolt lock) and it's still razor sharp. I ordered two the next day, as well as one of their smaller fixed blades. They are right $150 shipped, well under your budget.

http://photocamel.com/gallery/data/2436/medium/DSC_3972.JPG

Battle*Hound
06-17-12, 01:09
I'm sure you know this, but three companies can use the same steel, s30v for example, and all three will perform differently.

100% Agreed 100%.....thats the tricky part....knowing or trusting what said manuf. is doing with the materials

Battle*Hound
06-17-12, 01:18
Strider....

I haven't had anything other than broadcast television for 9 years. It's not that I can't afford cable / dish, but it's about principle. They want too much money for their product.

Thats all.

jonconsiglio
06-17-12, 08:51
Strider....

I haven't had anything other than broadcast television for 9 years. It's not that I can't afford cable / dish, but it's about principle. They want too much money for their product.

Thats all.

It certainly can be and I'll never argue that someone should feel they're worth their money. They are to me after using them for years and reinforced after I needed to get into an apartment a couple months and didn't have time to get to the car for a pry bar.

If you look around, you;ll find them for good prices. I've seen DB-L's, and similar sized knives from them, for under $200 lightly used.

The fixed blades, in my opinion, is easy to see the value once you've put them to the test. The folders, on the other hand, may not be as noticeable to a lot of guys. I still prefer them, but that's preference.

The Swamp Rat, as mentioned above, is a good knife. ESEE, but you can tell a serious difference between s30v and 1095. Both are good for their uses though.

cevtv
06-17-12, 10:24
Emerson Police Utility Knife.

Battle*Hound
06-17-12, 10:44
It certainly can be and I'll never argue that someone should feel they're worth their money. They are to me after using them for years and reinforced after I needed to get into an apartment a couple months and didn't have time to get to the car for a pry bar.

Understood. And my comment wasn't meant to be a shot at Strider...they are the same as many of the high end manufacturers who produce a top notch product and expect top notch payment. It's completely logical and understandable; it's just alot of cash for me to throw down.

I think the biggest issue for me is that there is literally not one shop within 2 hours of me who has anything (guns,knives,gear) worth looking at. If I could actually pick some of this stuff up and hold it, I'm sure I'd be more inclined. But the internet is as close as I can get.

All that being said, 2 months ago I had a $100 budget...now $225...two months from now.?.?.?

usmcvet
06-17-12, 10:53
I love my ESEE4.

Battle*Hound
06-17-12, 13:02
I don't know. I've heard the guys at Lightfighter talk about the "military testing" which was a small training group that bought a handful. They have not received great reviews by the military guys I've seen.

Can you elaborate on their findings??

CLHC
06-17-12, 14:08
If you Google < Bark River STS-5 Review > there'll be quite a few links showing. Seems the leaning is towards more of a "tactical" type of knife since that's what it was designed for. If choosing from BRKT, most go with the Bravo-1.

jonconsiglio
06-17-12, 14:36

I went back through and looked at more threads. There was some talk of them being "issued" and they weren't. From there it went in to comments about it being ok, but expensive for what it is (even though it's not all that expensive).

But then I looked a little deeper and saw some good reviews of the quality, depending on the model. The Bravo-1 seems ok as well.

I'm having a hard time here with this to be honest. I recently was part of a thread where Mike, the owner I guess, basically called me an idiot because I thought the Strider tanto I recently used to bust open a door was a stronger tip than my spear points. He literally said I was an idiot and that American tantos serve no purpose but to "sell" knives. This is after many conversations Iv'e had with Darryl Bolke, the guy the Strider "DB" is named after and active forum member who has many real world experiences with different knife designs.

I agree it's the tip width and taper, but when I asked if the thousands of 0321 Marines, Ontario CA SWAT and others were all "idiots", he just went off on something else about the tantos and what a stupid design they were and telling me I was being argumentative because I asked him to direct me to a specific knife that would be as strong as the DB. No answer on that either.

Then he posts a pic of a tanto he makes with a very long taper which does not provide a strong tip??? Whatever. I will never buy a thing from that guy and will never recommend him. His claims that his knives were "issued" when it was just a training group that did a group buy also didn't sit well with me.

For what it's worth, I do hear good things about the Bravo-1 and SRS-5, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, and to top it off, I was disgustingly respectful in that thread… I couldn't believe how nice I was being!

Battle*Hound
06-17-12, 14:44
I went back through and looked at more threads. There was some talk of them being "issued" and they weren't. From there it went in to comments about it being ok, but expensive for what it is (even though it's not all that expensive).

But then I looked a little deeper and saw some good reviews of the quality, depending on the model. The Bravo-1 seems ok as well.

I'm having a hard time here with this to be honest. I recently was part of a thread where Mike, the owner I guess, basically called me an idiot because I thought the Strider tanto I recently used to bust open a door was a stronger tip than my spear points. He literally said I was an idiot and that American tantos serve no purpose but to "sell" knives. This is after many conversations Iv'e had with Darryl Bolke, the guy the Strider "DB" is named after and active forum member who has many real world experiences with different knife designs.

I agree it's the tip width and taper, but when I asked if the thousands of 0321 Marines, Ontario CA SWAT and others were all "idiots", he just went off on something else about the tantos and what a stupid design they were and telling me I was being argumentative because I asked him to direct me to a specific knife that would be as strong as the DB. No answer on that either.

Then he posts a pic of a tanto he makes with a very long taper which does not provide a strong tip??? Whatever. I will never buy a thing from that guy and will never recommend him. His claims that his knives were "issued" when it was just a training group that did a group buy also didn't sit well with me.

For what it's worth, I do hear good things about the Bravo-1 and SRS-5, if I'm not mistaken.

Appreciate the feedback.

1. It really sucks when folks make claims that aren't true 'issued'...hope thats not the case with this fella...I don't like cheats or liars.
2.I thought the purpose for the tanto was a stronger tip. The only reason I don't prefer them is the sharpening aspect.

Gonna research....some more. Everything I like is just too short. 5.5" would be about perfect

Battle*Hound
06-17-12, 16:02
Well I was really liking the Bark River...

While I found alot of reviewers to be pleased with their knives, I found too many who were not. Looks like it may be heat treat / QC type of issues.

Off the list.

jonconsiglio
06-17-12, 17:19
Well I was really liking the Bark River...

While I found alot of reviewers to be pleased with their knives, I found too many who were not. Looks like it may be heat treat / QC type of issues.

Off the list.

That's a pretty accurate take on it. If you're interested, go to Jerzee Devil Forum, go to the Devil's Knife Discussion sub forum and a few threads down you'll see the "What's the point of a tanto" thread. It starts on the second or third page where you'll see my pic of a Strider DB and a door I had to pry open with it.

It starts immediately after that with the term "Horse Pokey" by Bark River's owner, Mike Stewart. If you do go there, please read my words very carefully so you'll see I'm not claiming it's better, just better than other knives I own for that specific use and never once did I argue. I even PM'd the main guy behind the forum to let him know where I was taking the thread after I posted my first reply. I went as far as to agree and then ask for his "advice" just to see where it went and telling him one of his knives looked like a nice size.

He kept going on that I was trying to sell guys on the American Tanto when I specifically stated early in my first post that I do not think they make a good daily carry compared to spear or drop points and that they fill a niche role.

You may notice where he mentions all the "military" he's made knive for and I'm not the only one in a higher risk job, then I compliment him by telling him I found the review of the one training unit that bought some knives. I think he knew what thread I was talking about. You know, the one where two SF guys quoted some comments and laughed.

I know a couple guys in that thread, so there was a touch of light-hearted joking around at one point.

I hate to be a dick about this, but I couldn't not mention it at this point. I've PM'd or emailed a couple guys that are no joke and linked them to that thread. Had a couple interesting conversations at that point.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy. Those ESEE knives are killer for the price.

mallowpufft
06-17-12, 17:41
I know you're concerned about the 1095 staining but most, if not all, of ESEE's offerings are coated on all but the edge.
I only have an Izula and have only had it for a couple months but it rides in my pocket all the time. Last weekend at the bike race I was working I was in the woods for 8 hours of 90ish degree weather and no problems with it. I just rub some mineral oil in 1x a week. No problems with rust yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

el_chingoton13
06-17-12, 17:57
I live in a very hot and humid area and have never had trouble with rusting on my ESEE blades. If you do get some rusting just hit it with steel wool really quick or keep a light coat of vegetable oil on the blade to prevent it. I don't bother with either of those options and haven't had any issues. I've been sent a free ESEE blade from Mr. Perrin out of the blue just for customer appreciation. It's a great company and they stand behind their products.

jonconsiglio
06-17-12, 18:32
I've had an Izula for a couple years here in South Texas and never had a problem with rust. I'd definitely recommend some oil or Eezox occasionally.

madisonsfinest
06-17-12, 19:02
Have you looked at any of the Doug Ritter knives? I have the mini griptilian in S30v steel that I like a lot. He has others that fit more of your needs as well

madisonsfinest
06-17-12, 19:08
Check out the Rsk Mk3. It's s30v steel and $165

jstrange
06-17-12, 20:14
That's a pretty accurate take on it. If you're interested, go to Jerzee Devil Forum, go to the Devil's Knife Discussion sub forum and a few threads down you'll see the "What's the point of a tanto" thread. It starts on the second or third page where you'll see my pic of a Strider DB and a door I had to pry open with it.

It starts immediately after that with the term "Horse Pokey" by Bark River's owner, Mike Stewart. If you do go there, please read my words very carefully so you'll see I'm not claiming it's better, just better than other knives I own for that specific use and never once did I argue. I even PM'd the main guy behind the forum to let him know where I was taking the thread after I posted my first reply. I went as far as to agree and then ask for his "advice" just to see where it went and telling him one of his knives looked like a nice size.

He kept going on that I was trying to sell guys on the American Tanto when I specifically stated early in my first post that I do not think they make a good daily carry compared to spear or drop points and that they fill a niche role.

You may notice where he mentions all the "military" he's made knive for and I'm not the only one in a higher risk job, then I compliment him by telling him I found the review of the one training unit that bought some knives. I think he knew what thread I was talking about. You know, the one where two SF guys quoted some comments and laughed.

I know a couple guys in that thread, so there was a touch of light-hearted joking around at one point.

I hate to be a dick about this, but I couldn't not mention it at this point. I've PM'd or emailed a couple guys that are no joke and linked them to that thread. Had a couple interesting conversations at that point.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy. Those ESEE knives are killer for the price.

Sir,

Not trying to keep any bad blood going between you and the Bark River guy, but I sure would like to see that picture and or read that thread. Can you post a link to that thread, if thats allowed, or post that picture here.

I have been recently wondering about the advantages of the tanto tip so would appreciate it.:smile:

Thanks,

jstrange

Battle*Hound
06-17-12, 20:46
Check out the Rsk Mk3. It's s30v steel and $165

Not bad, a little thin though. The Mk2 isn't bad either but looks to be a Ka-Bar with his name on it. This is all at a glance though. I will look into it. Thanks

Battle*Hound
06-17-12, 20:57

So I read the thread. I will just say that you would think someone who has a business to represent, would be more tactful.

I'd give these striders another look but the site is down. For now

sierra 223
06-17-12, 21:27
I dont have a Bark River but would love to have one. The ESEEs are great.

I have the 4 and an Izula and love both of them.

I live in Texas and its pretty humid. I have no issues with rust as long as I just keep an eye on it and ever so often add some sort of oil.
If you use it regular that will keep any rust off.
The coating that comes on the ESEEs seems to be pretty durable and helps with rust issues as well.

My only complaint with the 4 is that I wish the handle was a little longer.

I still would love to have a Bark River Bravo 1 though.

jonconsiglio
06-18-12, 00:23
Sir,

Not trying to keep any bad blood going between you and the Bark River guy, but I sure would like to see that picture and or read that thread. Can you post a link to that thread, if thats allowed, or post that picture here.

I have been recently wondering about the advantages of the tanto tip so would appreciate it.:smile:

Thanks,

jstrange

I PM'd it to you.

I saved the thread as a PDF and will need to check if he edited anything.

jstrange
06-18-12, 08:02
Thanks Jon. Hound you can get a good idea of what Strider offers by looking at Monkey Edge and GP knives. They both sell them and have a decent selection.

jstrange

Battle*Hound
06-18-12, 17:28
Thanks Jon. Hound you can get a good idea of what Strider offers by looking at Monkey Edge and GP knives. They both sell them and have a decent selection.

jstrange

Okey dokey

Battle*Hound
06-18-12, 17:30
What's the deal with the cord wrapped handles??? Do you guys like that?

jonconsiglio
06-18-12, 19:25
What's the deal with the cord wrapped handles??? Do you guys like that?

They're ok. I prefer the gunner grips. If you find a good deal on a cord wrapped, you can't buy gunner grips separately, but you can buy frag grips from Monkey Edge, which I have on my EB/DB and are very secure.

Battle*Hound
06-18-12, 19:48
Alright, well I just can't part with the $325 to get the Strider.

So fellas I'm thinking I make take your advice on the ESEE6. You can 'build' an ESEE at 'the knife connection'. Blade you want with the G10 handles of your choice. Still hung up on the 1095 but honestly, I'm sure it will meet my needs fine. I like the length on the ESEE5 but the friggin thing weighs a solid pound. 1/4" thick!!

jonconsiglio
06-18-12, 19:58
Which one are you looking at for $325?

As for the ESEE, I wouldn't buy anything bigger than the 4 for normal use. The 5 or 6 would be less used and it would depend on what I was doing that determined which one.

The 6 is 3/16", right? Nice knife.

Battle*Hound
06-18-12, 21:13
Which one are you looking at for $325?

As for the ESEE, I wouldn't buy anything bigger than the 4 for normal use. The 5 or 6 would be less used and it would depend on what I was doing that determined which one.

The 6 is 3/16", right? Nice knife.

Strider MSS @ $350

Here's the deal...This won't be an EDC knife. That job is left to my folder. Will be more camping / situational. While 4" blades are everywhere to choose from...I'm just not sure that's long enough for every task. I don't want the damn thing to be too long but I sure as hell don't want it to be too short. Damn it!!!! Now you got me thinkin again.

Bye the way, how in the hell did you get enough leverage with that 8"er to pry that door open??

mallowpufft
06-18-12, 21:22
The ESEE 6 isn't as heavy as the 5. If you're worries about the rust issue pick up a cheaper / smaller one like the izula (I paid 65 for mine with the kit that included sheath, belt clip, fire kit. etc) or the candiru to play with. Worst case scenario it rusts too easily for your liking and you clean it up and resell it for a couple dollar loss or just have a badass steak knife.
Also, check out the Kryptoglow scales on eBay. I've got ODish green ones that with exposure to a couple minutes of sunlight will glow bright green for about 6 hours. Nice feature for dusk in the woods.

jonconsiglio
06-18-12, 22:55
Strider MSS @ $350

Here's the deal...This won't be an EDC knife. That job is left to my folder. Will be more camping / situational. While 4" blades are everywhere to choose from...I'm just not sure that's long enough for every task. I don't want the damn thing to be too long but I sure as hell don't want it to be too short. Damn it!!!! Now you got me thinkin again.

Bye the way, how in the hell did you get enough leverage with that 8"er to pry that door open??

Look at the MT or MT Mod 10, D9 or Mk1 or Mk1 Mod 10. The Mod 10's are a little shorter. The MT is an awesome knife. Of these three, the Mk1 (and Mod 10) are 1/4". The other two are 3/16". The MT is an awesome field knife.

The DB-L pried the door with ease. I just punched it in and broke some of the frame and just pushed into it hard and the door just ripped open. You can see the cuts and pry mark in the pics. Took about 15 seconds.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7081/7103590943_a7d1f3bec6_c.jpg

cervantes
06-19-12, 01:46
If your still looking for a fixed blade knife
Id suggest looking at some custom knife
Makers ! I just got a five inch polaris
Model made by Scott gossman of MD
For $245.00 shipped to my door mine was
A little more because I added a inch to the design
And had him make it out of S7 steel which
Is a shock steel used to make jackhammer
Bits and the like and Scott uses mainly tool
Steels like D2, O2, A2, S7 ! ... Pm me if you
Need more info on custom makers and this
Goes for everyone !

Cervantes

TangoSauce
06-20-12, 01:51
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k596/TangoSauce/IMG00698-20120619-2342.jpg

ESEE-3MIL

mrosamilia
06-20-12, 11:20
Tango what ESSE is that on top??

Battle*Hound
06-20-12, 15:52
Tango what ESSE is that on top??

JUNGLAS

Battle*Hound
06-20-12, 15:57
What about TOPS knives?

Battle*Hound
06-20-12, 16:03
Disregard my last

Battle*Hound
06-20-12, 20:56
ordered the ESEE-LS-P

http://www.eseeknives.com/laserstrike.htm

Thanks for all the input.

madisonsfinest
06-20-12, 21:49
How much did that set you back?

el_chingoton13
06-20-12, 22:22
ordered the ESEE-LS-P

http://www.eseeknives.com/laserstrike.htm

Thanks for all the input.

Great choice, you will not be disappointed.

Battle*Hound
06-20-12, 22:42
How much did that set you back?

$112 'the knife connection' pretty cheap really. There is an awful lot of satisfied ESEE owners.

Battle*Hound
06-24-12, 21:02
Let me start by saying I ordered my ESEE Laser Strike from 'the knife connection' and I received it free shipping in three days!!! Thanks Dale!!

And I really like the feel of the knife. I am really glad I went with ESEE and although I have not had it out to punish it yet...I believe you will have a hard time finding a better brand for barely over $100.

Thanks all!!

SWATcop556
06-25-12, 11:23
Pics or I call BS. :sarcastic:

CyberM4
06-25-12, 13:32
Let me start by saying I ordered my ESEE Laser Strike from 'the knife connection' and I received it free shipping in three days!!! Thanks Dale!!

And I really like the feel of the knife. I am really glad I went with ESEE and although I have not had it out to punish it yet...I believe you will have a hard time finding a better brand for barely over $100.

Thanks all!!

Nice choice with the ESEE. I bought the ESEE 5 From them very fast service plus Free shipping. The 5 is my Truck Blade.

jonconsiglio
06-25-12, 13:39
Pics or I call BS. :sarcastic:

Seriously! Battle*Hound, what the hell man, you should know by now that you don't buy something new and just talk about it without posting pics. Get with it man!

When I had mentioned ESEE before, I completely forgot about the LS. That looks like a very nice knife. Strider has a new model with a similar blade design, but three times the price. I'll likely pick up the LS or RC4 as a camp knife.

madisonsfinest
06-25-12, 14:51
I guess Esse had a stainless steele prototype of the rc-4 at shot show in 2011. I wonder why it hasn't been released. It looks like you get a good knife at a even better price

bobsolla
06-25-12, 16:59
i`d go esee 6!

mallowpufft
06-25-12, 17:35
So I'm definitely an ESEE fan (love my izula for edc) but I'm torn between them and the Ontario versions that Randall cooked up. Same steel and design at a reduced price. The Ontario 5 comes in at $100. ESEE is $200. ESEE is 1/16" thicker but that's where the differences stop, as far as I can tell.
Opinions?

Battle*Hound
06-25-12, 18:08
Gonna be a day or so before pics...dyed my scales so they are drying.

Mallow, check the knife connection for prices

SWATcop556
06-25-12, 18:09
I've always been told the ESEE is the old RAT and that Ontario owns the name due to a falling out of some kind. I've been told to buy ESEE. They can be found cheaper on the inter-nut with minimal searching.

My personal favorite is the ESEE 3.

mallowpufft
06-25-12, 18:17
I've always been told the ESEE is the old RAT and that Ontario owns the name due to a falling out of some kind. I've been told to buy ESEE. They can be found cheaper on the inter-nut with minimal searching.

Yeah. Pretty much says the same thing on the ESEE website. I'll have to check knife connection but on the bay I can pick up an Ontario RAT 5 and whatever they call the Junglass for not much more than just one blade with the ESEE stamp.
I may end up with an ESEE 6 as it is priced well. I'm just wondering about Ontario's warranty and if they are actually made in the US or just stamped that way because of where the company is held.

I went out camping this weekend with my Izula and Fiskars X7. It worked but a bigger blade would have been handy for a few things and a Junglass type would be handy for clearing shooting lanes and making trails

madisonsfinest
06-25-12, 19:52
Well I went with the Esse 4 with kydex sheath for $97 at Knife Connection. Going camping in 10 days so it should be here by then. Thanks to this thread I found out about Esse. Great prices.

Battle*Hound
06-25-12, 22:16
Well I went with the Esse 4 with kydex sheath for $97 at Knife Connection. Going camping in 10 days so it should be here by then. Thanks to this thread I found out about Esse. Great prices.

Not trying to piss in your Cheerios but, I know last week a lot of the ESEE4 were not in stock at the connection...doublecheck on the one you wanted...call them if you have any questions or changes to your order...I had talked with Dale last week about the 4s.... I'm sure he'd take care of any issues.

madisonsfinest
06-25-12, 22:23
Thanks. It says some 4's are out of stock. It allowed me to purchase one. I will call tomorrow to confirm that it is in stock. I assumed the stock was up to date, so I'm glad you let me know to follow up given my timeline

hunt_ak
06-26-12, 01:41

Any reason in particular you went with the ESEE 3? Are you using it on a first line belt, EDC, etc? I'm intrigued by a few of the ESEE fixed blades adn the 3 seems to be a pretty good size...

madisonsfinest
06-26-12, 09:33
Got a shipping notification this morning

SWATcop556
06-26-12, 13:11
Any reason in particular you went with the ESEE 3? Are you using it on a first line belt, EDC, etc? I'm intrigued by a few of the ESEE fixed blades adn the 3 seems to be a pretty good size...

I like pretty much all of the ESEE lineup. The 4 is a great field knife but is bigger than I need for most tasks. The 3 is the best blend of strength, blade OAL, grip, and fits my hands better. The three is great for being mounted on a battle belt or PC without taking up too much room or looking like you just stepped of the set of the latest Rambo flick.

crowdog
06-26-12, 18:34
I've owned the Izula, the ESEE 3,4,5, and 6 all of which I have been very happy with. They are a great knife company with customer service that is beyond that of any other company I have had experience with.
If you would like to get an idea of the people involved in this company head over to ESEE knives forums sometime; they're very active over there. Stand up group, with a stand up product and no bs warrantee to boot. Not trying to sound like an infomercial I just have nothing but pleasant thing to say about them and their knives/training.
....and some pics.
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/Kill%20Shots/74.jpg
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/Kill%20Shots/100_5085.jpg
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/Kill%20Shots/100_5124.jpg
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/ESEERaft/100_0493.jpg
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/ESEERaft/100_0482.jpg

Battle*Hound
06-26-12, 19:27
Ok then...here it is.

crowdog
06-26-12, 19:30
Ok then...here it is.

Very nice looking knife!

Battle*Hound
06-26-12, 19:34
try this again

hunt_ak
06-26-12, 22:57
I like pretty much all of the ESEE lineup. The 4 is a great field knife but is bigger than I need for most tasks. The 3 is the best blend of strength, blade OAL, grip, and fits my hands better. The three is great for being mounted on a battle belt or PC without taking up too much room or looking like you just stepped of the set of the latest Rambo flick.
Thanks for the reply. You are correct, I've seen lots of HUGE fixed blades on belts that has left me scratching my head...:confused:

I've owned the Izula, the ESEE 3,4,5, and 6 all of which I have been very happy with. They are a great knife company with customer service that is beyond that of any other company I have had experience with.
If you would like to get an idea of the people involved in this company head over to ESEE knives forums sometime; they're very active over there. Stand up group, with a stand up product and no bs warrantee to boot. Not trying to sound like an infomercial I just have nothing but pleasant thing to say about them and their knives/training.
....and some pics.
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/Kill%20Shots/74.jpg
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/Kill%20Shots/100_5124.jpg
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/ESEERaft/100_0493.jpg
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/ESEERaft/100_0482.jpg
Great post...looks like I may be picking up a 3 soon...

crowdog
06-27-12, 05:57
The new addition, which is looking for a new home.
I will get some picks up later of my favorite which is my RC3 ratpack edition, a pretty sick blade which has lasted very well.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0067-1.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0068.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0069.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0073.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0072.jpg

Battle*Hound
06-29-12, 18:34
Very nice looking knife!

Thanks!! I am really digging this knife!

crowdog
06-29-12, 19:26
Thanks!! I am really digging this knife!

The addiction has begun. :D

Icculus
07-12-12, 11:39
Battle*Hound--enjoy your new Laser Strike; it should serve you well. My RC-3 is probably my favorite fixed blade and will soon be joined by an Izula and a 6

That's just ridiculous. I know one customer that Bark River will never get. Of course you did use the wrong tool for that door. Next time just grab a 12 gauge :p

C.Edwards
07-13-12, 17:46
Check out coye knives http://coyeknives.com/ He is a local maker here in OK and makes some amazing hard use knives. He has been featured in some of the knife magazines. They can be a little tough to find, but worth it.

Yojimbo
07-14-12, 13:38
try this again

Great knife! Is that sheath a custom job? If so, who made it for you?

crusher613
07-14-12, 14:37
Anything esee cutlery will make you happy I think. I saw above they were already mentioned but I wanted to add to that group. I have the 4" that sets on my PC and doubles in my hiking pack. It really is a great all around blade.

Battle*Hound
07-14-12, 18:10
Check out coye knives http://coyeknives.com/ He is a local maker here in OK and makes some amazing hard use knives. He has been featured in some of the knife magazines. They can be a little tough to find, but worth it.

Nice stuff

Battle*Hound
07-14-12, 18:15
Great knife! Is that sheath a custom job? If so, who made it for you?

This sheath, cut down, two holes added and mated with the kydex sheath that comes with the ESEE

http://www.the-knife-connection.com/bhk-ftleathsheathback-blk.html

Twistedsteel
07-14-12, 22:05

I would be real concerned about bacteria getting in that Paracord but that's just me.

crowdog
07-15-12, 08:22
I would be real concerned about bacteria getting in that Paracord but that's just me.

Same knife 2 years later

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0100.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0101.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0104.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0105.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0107.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0120.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0119.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/JonathonQuill/IMAG0121.jpg

madisonsfinest
08-02-12, 07:45
Just put on these tkc scales. They are thicker and longer. Feels much nicer in the hand

hunt_ak
08-02-12, 15:13
Just picked up an ESKABAR for $33 shipped...killer deal:

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-BK14-Becker-Knife-Eskabar/dp/B004CIQY6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343938373&sr=8-1&keywords=eskabar

Omen
08-02-12, 17:35
I think you will be happy with your ESEE. I have an Izula, 3, and 6 and all of them have seen hard use with no issues. The warranty can't be beat.

d90king
08-02-12, 17:56
Useful thread!

Thanks for the detailed info JC but you're still a Strider whore... :p

hunt_ak
08-02-12, 21:47
I think you will be happy with your ESEE. I have an Izula, 3, and 6 and all of them have seen hard use with no issues.
I'll be adding an Izula, 3 and likely a Candiru to the mix here soon as well...I've also been toying with the idea of making a custom blade myself here soon...

joker77c
01-14-13, 18:04

This. I lost a Bark River STS-3 In a lake A few years ago. Good stuff want to buy another.

Replicant
01-26-13, 00:13
Just picked up an ESKABAR for $33 shipped...killer deal:

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-BK14-Becker-Knife-Eskabar/dp/B004CIQY6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343938373&sr=8-1&keywords=eskabar

What kind of handle options would you have for a knife like that? It looks like it comes with paracord. From the pictures, it looks like their are some very nice homemade handles.

doubletap
01-26-13, 18:38
What kind of handle options would you have for a knife like that? It looks like it comes with paracord. From the pictures, it looks like their are some very nice homemade handles.

You can buy these handles from Becker. We have a set and they are really nice. Come with two sets of scales, black and orange, and the hardware.
http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Becker-Scales-Handle-Orange/dp/B0073GZSM4/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_text_y/178-2345638-7096650

hunt_ak
01-27-13, 12:05
Thanks for the link, DoubleTap...that looks like a deal to me!

Replicant
01-27-13, 14:19
Yes, thanks. This may be a stupid question, but why would one want an orange handle?

madisonsfinest
01-27-13, 15:00
So when you are out camping, hunting, etc... And you drop it in the woods, you can find your knife much easier

mallowpufft
01-27-13, 19:18
So when you are out camping, hunting, etc... And you drop it in the woods, you can find your knife much easier

This. Same reason a lot of the machetes/brush hooks used by forest service crews are blue.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

Up1911fan
01-27-13, 20:46

This. I also have orange handles on my trainers.

jhatheway
01-28-13, 08:45
Surefire echo is a great knife if you can find one.