PDA

View Full Version : Noticed something... (Moss 590 vs Rem 870)

halo2304
06-16-12, 19:56
Yesterday I took my shotguns out for a little fun in the sun. I brought my Mossberg 590A1 (20") and my Remington 870 Police (18".) At first I took the 870 out mainly to double check the tube capacity since I added a +2 extension. I only fired about 15 rounds of 2 3/4" birdshot loads doing one-man-skeet. To load the tube, I rolled the gun over and pushed the rounds down and in.

A little later, I pulled the Mossberg out to show it a little lovin'. I didn't realize just how heavy the Mossberg is. Yeah, I know it has a thicker and longer barrel, but I just never noticed the weight difference until now. This is not what this thread is about...

What this thread IS about is that in all the "Pro's & Con's" threads comparing the two guns, not one of them have mentioned that when loading, you don't have to fight the shell lifter on the Mossberg. You do on the Remington.

Loading my 870, I had shells 'pop' out from between my hand and the gun due to the lifter (and my relatively newness with the gun.) Loading my 590, drop the shell into the port and push it forward.

Maybe it has been mentioned before and I just missed it, but just thought I'd share that in case it hasn't.

BTW, both are great guns and my only regret is not buying the 590 with the 18" barrel.

m24shooter
06-17-12, 10:02
That is actually a frequently heard distinction, particularly among 3 gunners.

usmcvet
06-17-12, 10:57
I've never had the problem. I think it could be your new to the gun or guns and confusing one for the other during operation. I would pick one and stick with it. Under stress you don't need the added goofs different platforms will bring. Safeties and slide releases are very different between the two.

halo2304
06-17-12, 16:01
I've never had the problem. I think it could be your new to the gun or guns and confusing one for the other during operation. I would pick one and stick with it. Under stress you don't need the added goofs different platforms will bring. Safeties and slide releases are very different between the two.

I'm definitely newer to the 870 than the Mossberg. I've been playing with the Remington the last few trips out with a shotgun just to get more familiar with it. As I said, I've never noticed the difference before until yesterday and every thread I've read comparing the two never seemed to mention the shell lifter.

HeavyDuty
06-17-12, 16:08
After so many years shooting a Mossberg and my SxSs an 870 is like a single shot club in my hands. I need that tang safety!

samuse
06-18-12, 21:31
That's one of the reasons I prefer a Mossberg too (the 18.5" bbl is a lot handier feeling).

I also like the tang safety, and the drop on their plastic stocks fits me much better than an Remington.

The Mossberg stock is also very easy to cut down to a shorter LOP and you can refit the original pad.

halo2304
06-18-12, 21:48
That's one of the reasons I prefer a Mossberg too (the 18.5" bbl is a lot handier feeling).

I also like the tang safety, and the drop on their plastic stocks fits me much better than an Remington.

The Mossberg stock is also very easy to cut down to a shorter LOP and you can refit the original pad.

Just remember to drill the holes deeper...ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

The Punisher
07-16-12, 22:25
I noticed this problem shooting with a friend recently. We swapped guns about halfway through the day (my 590 for his 870) and I had the same issues mentioned with his 870. He said he's learned to deal with it but after that I think I'll keep my Moss.

C.Edwards
07-24-12, 19:19
A little harder to change out one in the chamber on the mossberg, but the chances of ever actually needing to are next to none (for me)

Any advice on shortening the factory 590a1 stock as mentioned above?

Sent from my .... Who cares using Tapatalk - not responsible for auto correct.

El Cid
07-24-12, 19:31
My reasons for preferring my 590 are twofold. First the safety placement. It's truly ambidextrous and it's not near the trigger. That can be an issue with pistol grip stocks, but I use a traditional stock.

The second reason is the dual extractors. I have not had a single FTE in several hundred rounds and that includes low brass ammo. Our work guns are 870's and I have lost track of how many times coworkers and myself were forced to mortar the guns to extract a fired shell.

CumbiaDude
07-24-12, 20:02
Any advice on shortening the factory 590a1 stock as mentioned above?Hacksaw. :)

I have a 590SP (not an A1, but same stock as far as I know). I removed the rubber pad, put a line of painter's tape to keep a straight line, then just went at it with a hacksaw. Drill the screw holes a little deeper, then replace the rubber pad.

I also sanded the pad down to match the contour of the shortened stock, and rounded it over some. When I sanded the bottom I actually just barely started hitting the metal inside the pad that the rubber is molded around. Ideally, had I known it was there, I wouldn't've sanded QUITE that much to make it exposed, but oh well. At least you know it's in there and could keep an eye out for it.

C.Edwards
07-25-12, 08:29
Do you remember what size drill bit?

I will probably give it a shot this weekend. If it doesn't work out I will be ordering the 12" lop hogue.

Sent from my .... Who cares using Tapatalk - not responsible for auto correct.

CumbiaDude
07-25-12, 14:28
Do you remember what size drill bit?I do not (this was a couple years ago) but it's not rocket surgery - I'm sure I just took a drill bit and stuck the shank into the existing hole. Get the biggest drill but that'll fit all the way down, then let the screw itself cut into the plastic when you screw it in the first time. :smile:

Here's a quick diagram I made. Stock on the left, drillbit on the right (insert backwards to find the right size), then drill out the blue area. Let the screw cut into the last bit of plastic (which is why the blue area is not as wide as the existing area including threading).

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad338/CumbiaDude/Album/drillbit.jpg