PDA

View Full Version : 1911 is to VMII as Glock is to ______?

rob_s
01-17-08, 16:55
If you ask 50 people what IWB holster they prefer for the 1911, 25 of them will say "Versa Max II" and the other 25 will all name something different. :D

What's the VMII of the Glock world? Is the VMII still a good option for the Glock? Is there a Kydex equivalent that works better?

chrismartin
01-17-08, 18:19
Comp-TAC MTAC

Last year it would have been the CTAC, but I'm a big fan of the MTAC now.

RSS1911
01-17-08, 18:27
My Glocks seem very happy in their VMIIs.

SuicideHz
01-17-08, 19:39
CompTac Shirt tucker is nice. Have one for my M&P45 too.

PolermoM1911
01-17-08, 20:34
Comp-Tac Infidel

If you ask 50 people what IWB holster they prefer for the 1911, 25 of them will say "Versa Max II"
I'd be one of those people.:D

Bolt_Overide
01-17-08, 20:52
Pretty much any well made kydex holster, mostly compac or blade tech, I prefer the comptac ctac myself, but im getting ready to order an m-tac and try it.

GastonG-NoVa
01-17-08, 21:02
WOW!!!!

I must be out of the loop......I guess that happens when you buy a Kramer horsehide IWB holster 13 years ago!!

I have been carrying first, a Glock 19 then we switched to the G23. I have carried it just about everyday for the last 13 years, and it is still going strong. I have no intentions on switching to a plastic holster for my favorite plastic gun.

Kramer ....... ROCKS!!

M4arc
01-18-08, 06:25
My G19 loves it's VMII and it is still one of my favorite CCW combos.

rob_s
01-18-08, 06:45
Comp-TAC MTAC

Last year it would have been the CTAC, but I'm a big fan of the MTAC now.

I've heard good things about these holsters, but they just seem overly complicated to me.

jmart
01-18-08, 07:26
What's complicated about them? The clips? They seem pretty straightforward.

rob_s
01-18-08, 07:47
Frankly they look like a woman's garters. I don't get all the extra widgets and attachments. In my world, everytime you use a fastener you introduce a failure point, and these things seem to have a lot of fasteners.

Sam
01-18-08, 08:07
Raven Concealment System !

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/AlexG1911/IMG_0005.jpg

I stole this picture from my homee JG.

ToddG
01-18-08, 08:19
I won't use a holster with kydex belt clips anymore. Too many people (myself included) have had holsters and mag pouches break ... especially mag pouches. The mag pouches are particularly notorious for breaking off during high-speed exits from vehicles.

The original kydex holster (Mad Dog) used a solid belt loop which was made from the same continuous piece of kydex with no seams, clips, etc. I recently had a very similar holster built for me by Custom Carry Concepts with the addition of a shirt guard. I've been very happy with it, fwiw.

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/normal_ccc-3.jpg

rob_s
01-18-08, 08:42
Raven Concealment System !

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/AlexG1911/IMG_0005.jpg

I stole this picture from my homee JG.

I may have to give on of those a try. Their website sure doesn't make ordering easy though.

Sam
01-18-08, 09:54
I may have to give on of those a try. Their website sure doesn't make ordering easy though.

I ordered from the "malabar front", they're actually the same guys at Raven, just on the other side of the house. The name sound like some kind of middle east terrorist organization, doesn't it?

I didn't think it was that tough to order, and I'm no computer genius.

Check out my review below, with more pictures. BTW, I'm not associated with them nor do I get any kickback from my praise of their products.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9048

rob_s
01-18-08, 10:05
Thanks for the "malabar front" heads up, helped alot.

Their IWB kydex loops don't seem to be size-specific though.

Sam
01-18-08, 11:07
Thanks for the "malabar front" heads up, helped alot.

Their IWB kydex loops don't seem to be size-specific though.

You're welcome. The tuckable overhook, standard overhook clips and rubber belt loops will fit at least a 1.5" belt (that's what I have). They appear to have enough room for 1.75" belts. Don't be concerned, the clips fit my 1.5" Wilderness belt snugly and the holster doesn't wiggle.

tiger seven
01-18-08, 11:18
Nerd alert: "The Malabar Front" is a reference from Orwell's 1984. Interesting name for a company.

I like those holsters. I've been looking for something like that for my G19. Thanks for the link and the review!

Derek

rob_s
01-18-08, 11:52
I just placed an order for the holster & rubber loops. I'll post again when I get it. Thanks guys.

I have some kydex sheets at home too. I may try to make my own variation of this design once I get it and can get hands-on.

graffex
01-18-08, 12:41
Might be slightly off-topic but I just ordered a Blade-Tech Stingray belt holster for my Glock 17. This will be my first holster so I wont have anything to base it off of but from what I hear they're nice. Next will be some sort of IWB holster for my G19 I want to get.

Sam
01-18-08, 12:57
I'm familiar with the BT Stingray system, it's ok for casual and range use. It's not very concealable for all day carry.

Alpha Sierra
01-18-08, 18:25
Go leather or go home regardless of the gun.

SuicideHz
01-18-08, 18:33
Rob- Check out the Comptac shirt tucker. One piece belt clip that's just bent over and back. It's fastened onto the holster with the same two fasteners that close the holster up and create tension.

ToddG- tell me about the knife. :)

ToddG
01-18-08, 23:23
Hurts -- to be honest, I don't know a damn thing about it except that it's a first production run. Won it at the S&W IDPA Championship last year. Seemed like an appropriate prop for the picture of an M&P though.

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/normal_TLG_1939.jpg

SuicideHz
01-18-08, 23:35
CKSURG

S&W SW-CKSURG Homeland Security Knife, Green Handle, Black Tanto Blade, PlainEdge. The Smith & Wesson SW-CKSURG Homeland Security Knife features an 8.25" modified Tanto blade made of 440C stainless steel. The blade has a non reflective black Titanium powder coating, and the S&W Homeland Security etch. The model CKSURG Knife has full tang construction, with green G10 handle scales, integral cross guard and lanyard hole. The heavy duty nylon sheath is constructed with a hard synthetic liner and metal reinforcements. The sheath also includes a D ring, lashing slots, and a front mounted nylon storage pouch with Velcro closure. Overall length: 13.75". Weight: 17.5 ounces.

ToddG
01-19-08, 00:05
I'll take your word for it. It's too nice looking to use, and I don't know nearly enough about knives to know otherwise. :cool: Plus, I have my Mad Dog WSP if I need to run around with a big sharp knife in my hand.

jmart
01-19-08, 09:32
Frankly they look like a woman's garters.

C'mon Ron, time to cowboy up son and ebrace your inner self.
:p

blackscot
01-24-08, 09:42
I'm currently carrying my G19 in a Fist ultrathin kydex IWB. You can get them cant-adjustable, and with a choice of belt-loop types. I'm using the split-J so I can position it over a pants loop if needed. You need to size the loop properly for the belt though, to be secure and not de-hook.

It's sure not much to look at, but is probably as thin as you can get and pretty comfortable for an IWB.

See: http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/K10.htm

rob_s
01-24-08, 09:56
I'm currently carrying my G19 in a Fist ultrathin kydex IWB. You can get them cant-adjustable, and with a choice of belt-loop types. I'm using the split-J so I can position it over a pants loop if needed. You need to size the loop properly for the belt though, to be secure and not de-hook.

It's sure not much to look at, but is probably as thin as you can get and pretty comfortable for an IWB.

See: http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/K10.htm

Interesting. That looks like a great thing to keep a car gun in, as they have many loop options that don't require you to un-thread your belt. I used to have a G26 in a little Brommeland leather holster with a metal spring-clip that was perfect for that.

blackscot
01-24-08, 11:01
Interesting. That looks like a great thing to keep a car gun in, as they have many loop options that don't require you to un-thread your belt......

Exactly. I can't see any carry mode that isn't car-compatible.

ksa464
01-24-08, 18:51
Comp Tac

rob_s
02-07-08, 04:28
I just placed an order for the holster & rubber loops. I'll post again when I get it. Thanks guys.

Got the holster and loops. Haven't carried in it yet, but I'm not sure it's going to work for me. I'm 6' 175lbs, and the Raven is very wide and does not follow the curve of my body, so I'm not sure that it's going to work for me as an IWB, or OWB either for that matter.

I can kind of see the reason for the "garters" on the other designs now. Take a kydex "pouch" that's as low-profile and as thin as possible, and add flexible leather "arms" to allow the attachment points to wrap around the body.

I think I'm going to order up a VMII, and try one of the Fist designs while I wait.

Sam
02-07-08, 05:19
You haven't tried it on but you're not sure it's going to work for you.

rob_s
02-07-08, 05:25
You haven't tried it on but you're not sure it's going to work for you.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

I haven't carried in it yet, meaning all day long, but have put it on around the house. No matter where I position it on my body that would allow for a good draw, it sticks out considerably. I guess I could push it all the way around to 5 o'clock, but that wouldn't do me much good.

Abraxas
02-07-08, 05:58
If you ask 50 people what IWB holster they prefer for the 1911, 25 of them will say "Versa Max II" and the other 25 will all name something different. :D

What's the VMII of the Glock world? Is the VMII still a good option for the Glock? Is there a Kydex equivalent that works better?

I believe that Failure2stop uses a VMII for his Glock an has been satisfied so far.

blackscot
02-07-08, 06:10
.....I'm 6' 175lbs, and the Raven is very wide and does not follow the curve of my body......

That's about my build. I generally like not being any heavier, but one drawback is trying to conceal a handgun. Preferring light clothing in warm weather doesn't help either, which for you there in FLA must be even more the case than for me here in VA (although our July-August can get pretty miserable).

......try one of the Fist designs......

They're not pretty, but are functional and affordable. About the best solution I've been able to find.

rob_s
02-07-08, 06:20
Part of the reason I switched from Glocks to 1911s was that I actually was able to conceal a 5" 1911 better than I could a Glock 26. And at that time I was exercising like I should be and actually weighed 185 lbs. so concealing anything was easier.

My theory is that when you're already sporting a 42" waist, the differential between the widths of carrying or not carrying is very small, relatively. Shrink that down to a 32" waist and the impact is much greater. Every fraction of an inch that you can save is worthwhile.

blackscot
02-07-08, 06:31
......My theory is that when you're already sporting a 42" waist, the differential between the widths of carrying or not carrying is very small, relatively. Shrink that down to a 32" waist and the impact is much greater. Every fraction of an inch that you can save is worthwhile.

Most of the guys I shoot with have a 10-20% weight advantage on me, and seem unable to grasp this basic math.

Sam
02-07-08, 11:47
Maybe I wasn't clear.

I haven't carried in it yet, meaning all day long, but have put it on around the house. No matter where I position it on my body that would allow for a good draw, it sticks out considerably. I guess I could push it all the way around to 5 o'clock, but that wouldn't do me much good.

Now you are clear, thanks.

NextGhost
02-08-08, 12:15
For the Glock 19? Kramer IWB #3.