PDA

View Full Version : New Colt 6943 Upper Issue???

bwhited
06-17-12, 10:32
Just got anew Colt 6943 in this week. First off it has a weird screw in the left side of the receiver... What is this and why is it there??? Never seen one on a Colt before.... So I change the charging handle to my BCM gunfighter and it is having sticking problems and will not slide freely in the upper. It works fine on the rest of my Colts... I even took the handle out of my Commando 6933 and it also will not move freely and likes to stick where this new screw is located.... I can not see any difference from the 6943 charging handle and the others what am I missing???? Do Ineed to adjust the screw or send this thing back to Colt???

OK check this out... I just found a site selling 6945ck uppers and they also have this pin in the left side of the receiver...

http://www.centermassfirearms.com/colt-le6945ck-10-3-monolithic-upper-receiver-5-56-nato.html

I have heard they started doing this for the piston guns but why do it on a DI gun? Also this this thing is rubbing the bolt carrier pretty good.

Traveshamockery
06-17-12, 11:24
Photos of the receiver and rub marks, please?

bwhited
06-17-12, 11:37
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4435/20120616221523144.jpg

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/2724/20120616221630953.jpg

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/4067/20120617093511699.jpg

SpankMonkey
06-17-12, 12:35
Interested in the answer. My guess is to correct a tilt issue. Just a WAG.

SteyrAUG
06-17-12, 17:15
I'd send it back to Colt.

Hootiewho
06-19-12, 05:13
My guess is since that area behind where the cam pin rotates into the side of the receiver usually shows some scaring & wear with use, they put a sacrificial steel plate in there as a product improvement to help reduce wear on the Al.

Redbeardsong
06-19-12, 05:48
My guess is since that area behind where the cam pin rotates into the side of the receiver usually shows some scaring & wear with use, they put a sacrificial steel plate in there as a product improvement to help reduce wear on the Al.

Bingo!

bwhited
06-19-12, 18:30

I think the plate is sticking out more than Colt intended for it too. I think it is rubing the carrier way to much. I can take the charging handle out and the bolt will still hang up in the upper and will not move free when it hit the plate/pin area. What I want to know is will it hurt anything? Do I need to get an wrench and see if I can tighten it to bring the plate in closer to the receiver or does it need to go back to Colt?

I did call Colt today and spoke with a Mr. McDaniel who told me to email pics to him. I did so and have yet to hear back...

rcpd34
06-25-12, 14:16
Subscribed with interest.

fred
06-26-12, 01:14
Hear from Colt yet? I was interested in one of hose too...

bwhited
06-26-12, 20:18
On June 16th, I notified Colt customer service via email of an issue I was having a issue with my receiver. I received no reply.

On June 18th, I received no reply from Colt customer service.

On June 19th, I called Colt customer service and was advised by Jaz McDaniel that they had not received my email. I advised him of the issue and he told me to email him pictures of the issue. I immediately emailed him pictures and received no reply.

On June 20th, I received no reply so I call Mr. McDaniel back to check if he received my email. He stated he did and stated he had notified the service manager.

On June 21st I received no reply from Colt so I notified Kesselring Gun Shop. They advised me they would have a Colt rep get with me. I received no contact from Colt.

On June 22nd I again received no contact from Colt so I called Kesselring Gun Shop back. They called the Colt rep Kyle Foley who then called me. I spoke with him over the phone and he advised me to email him and he would get a shipping label to me so I could mail it in. I never received anything from him.

On June 23rd no contact.

On June 24th no contact.

On June 25th Mr. Foley emailed me a UPS number and advised me to take it to to UPS to ship out. I drove it out to UPS who told me they have to have a shipping label and the number Mr. Foley had given me was of no use. I called Mr. Foley on his cell phone while at UPS and advised him of the problem. He advised me he would call me right back. I waited at UPS for 40min and never heard back from him…

On June 26th I called Kesselring Gun Shop back and advised them of the treatment I had received from Colt. They immediately shipped me a new one and emailed me shipping label to ship the defective one back to them. NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE. Colt should take note! I would rate Colts customer service as VERY POOR! Oh and Mr. McDaniel finally got around to emailing me back today who stated that the shipping manager had finally got around to looking at my email and wants me to ship the thing to Colt on my dime….

I have been carrying a Colt M4 for almost 9 years now as a duty weapon and have had zero issues. This is my first issue and Colt really dropped the ball.

Cameron
06-26-12, 20:58
What a travesty. Truly sympathetic to your trouble, but that my friend is why I do not own a Colt.

Cameron

rcpd34
06-27-12, 05:35
This is exactly why other mfg's like LWRCI are doing so well. They offer a superior product and superior customer service. They weren't even going to make a piston rifle until they had to! I do like Colt and own several, but my next few rifles will be others.

rob_s
06-27-12, 05:46
This is exactly why other mfg's like LWRCI are doing so well. They offer a superior product and superior customer service.

Horseshit.

They are "doing so well" simply because they found another flavor of kool aid for people to drink and espouse. No more, no less.

OP, I feel for you. The up/down of buying a Colt is that they are the company you are least likely to need service from when buying an AR, but when you do they suck big balls at doing anything about it.

I am also disturbed a bit to see this little change to the upper on the part of Colt. First the Rogers stock, now adding wear plates... Although one could also point out that this appears to be right in line with the adage that "those not required to hold to a standard, rarely do", and with there being no spec and no specifying customer for these mono guns they can monkey-**** around with it all they want.

Were I you I'd tell the shop to take it back and make it right, or find a new shop. When I worked firearms retail the shop I worked at had a similar policy of "you bought it, you deal with the factory" that I always thought was crap. But when people bitched loud enough the bosses would cave and we'd take care of it.

Hootiewho
06-27-12, 06:11
As far as a product change or standard, Dean Caputo told us in a class once about all the upgrades Colt had wanted to make to the M4 for years but the mil would not allow. I think it took 10 years for them to impliment the extractor spring change; much like Kevin B describes with the trouble the have getting upgrades pushed through on the M110.

Colt is not bound by the TDP with these rifles & they seem to be trying to move in the right direction with product improvements. That sucks about them not responding to your contacting them. I would give Ken Elmore at Specialized Armament & as him about it. He knows his Colts & has been doing a lot with the 40 series uppers for a while now. Or you could pull the plate, get a small straight edge to check it for flush fit to the upper & hit it with emory cloth until it works. If it's steel, the cam pin will wear the finish in short order anyhow, but I would definitely breaking the leading edge to slightly round it out as I bet that is the spot causing you the most grief. Colt is pig latin for sharp edges.

bwhited
07-03-12, 11:29
Got my new 6943CK in from Kesselring Guns today. The new one still has the new pin/plate but on this one the plate is installed correct and not pushing into the receiver contacting the bolt group. Again BIG thank you to Kesselring Guns for making the problem right and Colt you can go fly a kite for your crappy customer service. And some pics of the new one...

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/593/20120703111744592.jpg

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2453/20120703111432846.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4285/20120703111456437.jpg

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/6388/20120703111527874.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/310/2012070311162178.jpg

C4IGrant
07-03-12, 11:40
This is exactly why other mfg's like LWRCI are doing so well. They offer a superior product and superior customer service. They weren't even going to make a piston rifle until they had to! I do like Colt and own several, but my next few rifles will be others.

Negative on a superior product. I would also guess there are just as many (if not more) horror stories on LWRC's CS side as their are on Colt's.

With that said, Colt has never been known for their CS and this is something that they are aware of and are working to fix (if ever so slowly).

Most gun manufacturers these days (less S&W) require the consumer to pay for shipping back (not just Colt).

C4

everyusernametaken
07-03-12, 18:43
Got my new 6943CK in from Kesselring Guns today. The new one still has the new pin/plate but on this one the plate is installed correct and not pushing into the receiver contacting the bolt group. Again BIG thank you to Kesselring Guns for making the problem right and Colt you can go fly a kite for your crappy customer service. And some pics of the new one...

That's awesome that they took care of it. I was keeping an eye on this because that definitely didn't look right, and if they are in fact transitioning to these common features across all new uppers, people need to know what to expect as "normal". Good to know this was an isolated case and thanks for following up here.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-08-12, 23:53
More interested in the mod than crappy CS. Colt keeps on tinkering.

RogerinTPA
07-09-12, 04:31
More interested in the mod than crappy CS. Colt keeps on tinkering.

Agreed.

OP, glad you finally got a new upper through your gun store, and not, sad to say, Colt. They seem to have teething issues with CS when finally getting back on track with the civilian side of the market, after decades of neglect. Your treatment with Colt was not entirely unexpected.

et2041
07-14-12, 07:37
You guys correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the screw/plate mod needed for the Piston variant? I thought I read that somewhere. I realize this is an example of a DI upper, but are they having to make common uppers to save coin?

everyusernametaken
07-14-12, 16:23
You guys correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the screw/plate mod needed for the Piston variant? I thought I read that somewhere. I realize this is an example of a DI upper, but are they having to make common uppers to save coin?

Yes, it was initially added to the piston models, but Colt is making some changes to their line towards a common platform to streamline. Another example is the modification to the rear take-down lug to accomodate a feature of the SCW, which prevents the upper from pivoting up away from the lower when fitted to the lower receiver of that model, as the shortened SCW carrier/buffer/spring assembly doesn't separate there like in all other models, requiring the upper to slide forward relative to the lower to separate the receivers. This is appearing on their other monolithic uppers now, but was designed in such a way that the normal lowers will not interfere with the lug - only the SCW lower makes use of it. This is not a bad thing for Colt to do, it just makes sense from a production efficiency perspective.