PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Grendel spr

J-Dub
06-17-12, 16:23
Has anyone done a lightweight Grendel build? If so i'd like some info on how much your rig weighs.

I kinda want to get into long range shooting and I'd like to use it for hunting also. I believe the Grendel would work well for this application.

So im thinking maybe a lightweight 18" or 16" barrel ( I still need to look at ballistic differences between the two). I havent found a lightweight Grendel barrel so i guess im going to have to get it turned down.

Thanks ahead of time.

fallenromeo
06-18-12, 11:17
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Grendel is pretty dependent on barrel length. I personally would not do one with a less than 20" barrel.

J-Dub
06-18-12, 11:23
http://www.alexanderarms.com/images/pdfs/grendel_ballistics.pdf

It appears if one was looking to run 120gr bullets, an 18" barrel would be ok. Yes longer would be better, but not when weight is a concern. Which it is for me.

As of now its looking like i'll go with an AA lightweight 18" barrel/bolt, Apex 15" forearm, ect.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-18-12, 14:58
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Grendel is pretty dependent on barrel length. I personally would not do one with a less than 20" barrel.

Dependent in regards to what?

fallenromeo
06-18-12, 15:13
Dependent in regards to what?

Dependent was not a good word, but it performs best out of a longer barrel correct? I was under the assumption that it is a round designed to be shot out of a longer barrel to take full advantage of its capabilities. If I am wrong in that respect then I apologize.

J-Dub
06-18-12, 18:25
I think its relative to your expectations/needs. 5.56 performs better out of a 20" barrel, that doesnt mean much if you need a close quarters weapon.

I'll only use it on game inside 400yds (unless i go pdog shooting), only paper past that. Which it looks like it will still have plenty of velocity past 600yds for target stuff. If i wanted to take game at 700yds plus.....id just get a 300wm, 338lapua, or something like that.

Im just kind of intrigued by the Grendel, i think its a cool round and think it just might work for what I want. Are there cheaper options? Sure, like a 6.5 creedmoor bolt gun.....which is not out of the question either....

LRB45
06-18-12, 21:21
I kinda wish that more manufacturers would jump on the Grendal bandwagon. Of course I have a hard enough time feeding my other guns.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-19-12, 06:02
I kinda wish that more manufacturers would jump on the Grendal bandwagon. Of course I have a hard enough time feeding my other guns.

Blame that on the inventor. Its not that they wont its that if they do with out paying him he will sue them. There is always the 264lbc and PSA is going to start offering barrels.

caporider
06-19-12, 07:57
Blame that on the inventor. Its not that they wont its that if they do with out paying him he will sue them. There is always the 264lbc and PSA is going to start offering barrels.

Bill Alexander has released the Grendel trademark, now that it is a SAAMI caliber. I agree it will take some time for folks that had gone to .264LBC or other variants to come back to making Grendel parts again.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-19-12, 15:00
Bill Alexander has released the Grendel trademark, now that it is a SAAMI caliber. I agree it will take some time for folks that had gone to .264LBC or other variants to come back to making Grendel parts again.

Im not sure he has the no one want to use his chamber beacuse of the trade mark stuff. Unless this happned in the last week I would say there is still something going on. The diffrence in the barrels is so small I would not even worry about it .300 vs .297 neck.

Dr69er
06-19-12, 17:02
That's the whole thorn one the side Issue with non standard .223/5.56 parts and components...

Both the 6.5 Grendel/.264 LBC and the Rem. 6.8 SPC II rounds
are great Intermediate rounds for the AR-15 Rifle platform,
however, Italways seems there are Issues with getting a
decent quality supply of brass, parts, or components at
some point...It always frustrates hunters, sportsmen
and in some cases PD's/LEA's not having a ready
supply of ammo, parts & components...

I have always favored calibers from 6mm-7mm, and to me it
always made plenty of sense to have a cartridge that is based
on the .223/5.56mm case. I reload so got that covered, and
there is plenty of .223 brass floating in the universe as well as
parts and components, check, then it was just a matter
pickinga caliber(s) to compliment the .223 based case...
and (to me anyway) I felt both calibers deserve a marriage
with the .223case (6.5mm for longer range ability & the
6.8mm for it's largerbore and close/moderate range energy).
Thus the 6.5 PCC (already in production) & the 6.8mm PCC
(In developement)wildcats were created, and thus far will be
happily married for quite some time...The .300 AAC BLK &
the 7.62x40mm WT serve as a very good example of that...

YMMV...Thanks.

caporider
06-19-12, 17:06
Im not sure he has the no one want to use his chamber beacuse of the trade mark stuff. Unless this happned in the last week I would say there is still something going on. The diffrence in the barrels is so small I would not even worry about it .300 vs .297 neck.

http://alexanderarms.com/index.php/news-events/111-65-grendel-saami.html

This happened awhile ago...

hunter_usmc
06-20-12, 08:51
According to AA the Grendel was designed for and will work out of a 16 inch barrel, the difference in velocity from a 16-20 inch barrel is very little due to the low working pressure and small case volume

Dr69er
06-20-12, 14:07
I always wondered why all the official powder/
propellent manufactures list the 6.5 Grendel
loads with mostly 24" Bbl. lengths and a few
with 20" Bbl. lengths...I have yet to see any
listed with a 16" Bbl. length thus far...Looked
at Accurate, Alliant,Hogdon,Ramshot,VV and
Winchester etc.

Another thing that always bugged me about the load data
for the 6.5 Grendel is that propellent manufactures seem to
always list the velocity & pressure numbers that are lower
than the posted velocity from Alex Arms or end users on
some forums ? Seems like only the 24" Bbl. lengths are
achieving stated velocities...

I'm I missing something here? or are a lot of end users
pushing the round to run hotter than normal in the
AR-15...

hunter_usmc
06-21-12, 14:08
I always wondered why all the official powder/
propellent manufactures list the 6.5 Grendel
loads with mostly 24" Bbl. lengths and a few
with 20" Bbl. lengths...I have yet to see any
listed with a 16" Bbl. length thus far...Looked
at Accurate, Alliant,Hogdon,Ramshot,VV and
Winchester etc.

Another thing that always bugged me about the load data
for the 6.5 Grendel is that propellent manufactures seem to
always list the velocity & pressure numbers that are lower
than the posted velocity from Alex Arms or end users on
some forums ? Seems like only the 24" Bbl. lengths are
achieving stated velocities...

I'm I missing something here? or are a lot of end users
pushing the round to run hotter than normal in the
AR-15...

The companies who put out the load data all have liability insurance, and they want to keep the price low so they have a safety margin for their loads that will very by company. Most load data is tested in pressure barrels of standard length

nincomp
06-22-12, 21:30
aThere is a real (i.e. non-BS) reason that the Alexander Arms factory ammo data lists higher velocities than powder manufacturers list. The Alexander Arms ammo used custom-blended or "non-canister" powders tweaked for the cartridge. The Hornady Superperformance cartridges do the same thing. At it's introduction, it frustrated the handloaders a great deal that they could not safely better the factory cartridge.

While it is true that much of the listed data is for long barrels, I believe that the reason for this is that the largest advantage of the 6.5 Grendel over its competitors is its long-range performance using long, low drag bullets. Longer barrels make the most of this advantage.

Just like the 6.8 SPC does not suddenly fall to the ground at 300 yards, the 6.5 Grendel does not immediately fall to the ground if shot from a 14.5 inch barrel.
The 6.5 Grendel does work well with shorter barrels, and I believe that Sabre built quite a few with 14.5" barrels. Much of its advantage of extreme-range accuracy (and associated bragging rights) when compared to other intermediate cartridges is drastically reduced or lost by the lower velocity.

nincomp
06-25-12, 00:37
To return to the OP's original question, an 18" Grendel should meet your needs nicely, although 400 yd hunting shots, I personally believe, would be pushing it a bit. It has been done, however.

As for targets, if your aim is a little off on a shot, no problem. I have yet heard a shooter express remose about "gut shooting" a piece of paper.

You can get a better idea of the overall capability of the round if you go to a grendel-specific forum.

Jim

SOTIC1993
06-25-12, 05:31
yesterday
900 yards AA 18 .5 inch barrel, 3 shot group 8 inch group\5 MPH winds, dope was 34 MOA

J-Dub
06-26-12, 11:48
To return to the OP's original question, an 18" Grendel should meet your needs nicely, although 400 yd hunting shots, I personally believe, would be pushing it a bit. It has been done, however.

Jim

Im right there with you. 200yds is probably my max on big game (unless the situation is perfect). 400yds would probably be reserved for pdogs.

SOTIC1993
06-26-12, 11:53
I have killed deer at 425 yards with mine 123 Grain AMX, out of my 18 inch

top gun
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/FMSNIPER/IMG_0049.jpg

I will be taking it Antelope hunting this year

I am in the process of building a 24 inch 6.5 g for Wyoming though

J-Dub
06-26-12, 12:19
Why a 24" just for Wyoming?

SOTIC1993
06-26-12, 12:21
keep the MV for longer shots, I am bringing my 7mm Rem for shots over 700 yards but plan on running the Grendel out to 600 on Speed goats if i get the shot. I figure 740 to 800 pounds of energy should fine on Goats

J-Dub
06-26-12, 12:39
You wont need that kind of range for pronghorns.

First off, they're everywhere out here. Secondly, they arent the smartest animals around. A 150yd shot shouldnt be a problem.

I mean unless you just want to shoot at that distance.

SOTIC1993
06-26-12, 12:42
would like a challenge, looking forward to longer shots, I do it for a living in the Army so its no fun shooting them at 150 yards :smile:
anyway not trying to hijack this thread.
again 18 inch is a good all around rifle for this caliber, enjoy it.

brasse
08-10-12, 13:17
I have to laugh with J-dub, there were times when you could see 200-300 prongs in a day. Places where you couldn't see the dirt because there was so much prong dung. And 99% are dumb.

But of course the BIG ones won't get within 400-500 yards of you, so build that 24 inch and let us see it!

OMD
08-10-12, 17:46
I find a LW 6.5G interesting too, but why not just stick with a Creedmore bolt for now like you suggested - so much easier (cheaper) to deal with and comfortably extend your range. Or do a 6.8II and save even more dough (buy more tags!) and settle for less range?