PDA

View Full Version : Tapered Shoulder on Pencil Barrels

ATX Deputy
06-17-12, 23:37
I've got a 16" pencil barrel currently. I'm going to be sending it to ADCO to be cut down to 14.5" and a flash hider pinned and welded.

My question for those that have done this before is....

Is the enlarged, tapered shoulder (behind the flash hider and crush washer) that is an option absolutely necessary? I realize that it's on most, if not all factory pencil barrels, but wanted to get everyone's opinion on it.

If I've posted this in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

HeavyDuty
06-18-12, 07:43
I prefer having a full shoulder against the back of the muzzle device, so I had ADCO make a tapered shoulder when they cut and threaded my FAL barrel. I've also seen people use a crush washer as a faux taper.

Eurodriver
06-18-12, 08:22
I've got a 16" pencil barrel currently. I'm going to be sending it to ADCO to be cut down to 14.5" and a flash hider pinned and welded.

My question for those that have done this before is....

Is the enlarged, tapered shoulder (behind the flash hider and crush washer) that is an option absolutely necessary? I realize that it's on most, if not all factory pencil barrels, but wanted to get everyone's opinion on it.

If I've posted this in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

I would only go through the extra trouble of having a tapered shoulder added to a pencil barrel if I planned on using a suppressor.

Since you're pinning the muzzle device anyway, I really wouldn't worry about it.