PDA

View Full Version : SBR Barrel muzzle brake/flash ideas

cooperchance
06-17-12, 23:45
I'm building my new SBR. It's the colt 6933 10.5! What is a good idea for break or flash suppressor. I am eventually going to suppress this with a Gemtech G5. But that won't be for a while so ideas on what has the best forward noise and pressure relief.

SteadyUp
06-18-12, 00:12
Why not try a standard A2? They're cheap, and they work.

If you're trying to mitigate noise and pressure, you sure as hell don't want to use a brake.

Mikey
06-18-12, 01:20
It's incongruent with you running a suppressor, but the noveske KX3 does a great job at redirecting the muzzle blast forward.

ClearedHot
06-18-12, 01:36
A2 is all you need unless running a can.

J_Dub_503
06-18-12, 02:16
Stick with the standard A2 or, since you plan on eventually getting the G5 get the appropriate muzzle device to mount it. http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/5-56MM-QUICKMOUNT-FOR-G5-15p119.htm

cooperchance
06-18-12, 23:15
Stick with the standard A2 or, since you plan on eventually getting the G5 get the appropriate muzzle device to mount it. http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/5-56MM-QUICKMOUNT-FOR-G5-15p119.htm

That's what I am planning on getting eventually! But the G5 won't be in my possession for a at least another year. Therefore I really don't mind the extra $$$ for something that will suffice. The A2 is an idea but with such a competitive market I'm anxious to dress up my new carbine!

rob_s
06-19-12, 06:29
6933 has an 11.5" barrel.

Not sure what to say about "dress up". If you want "dress up", get a Barbie.

msigette
06-19-12, 11:45

I agree with this. There is no reason to spend the money on another muzzle device. Save that extra money and put it towards ammo.

usmcvet
06-22-12, 10:04
If you want the best flash suppression get an AAC black out or a Votrex flash hider. They offer the best flash suppression and you can always re sell them when/if you get a can.

Or just stick with an A2 flash hider likes suggested, they are the best bang for the buck and I assume you already have one on the gun. They work well.

If you are trying things out to see what works for you most of us know what that is like, if you want to put something on it to make it look cool well it's your money and just get what you want. I have Vortex FH's and A2's on my guns, it's about balancing wants, needs and my checkbook.

RGoose
06-22-12, 21:31
If you want the best flash suppression get an AAC black out or a Votrex flash hider. They offer the best flash suppression and you can always re sell them when/if you get a can.

Or just stick with an A2 flash hider likes suggested, they are the best bang for the buck and I assume you already have one on the gun. They work well.

I went this way myself. A2 on the 11.5" and a Blackout on the 10.5" I'm building. I'm trying the Blackout until I get a supressor. Another option is the Battlecomp. Although I have no experience with them on SBRs, I understand they are too bad for noise and concussion.

gun71530
06-22-12, 22:19
I would stick with the A2. I have used the battlecomp 1.0 and the surefire 556k on my 11.5 but have since gone back to the A2.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

usmcvet
06-22-12, 22:46
I went this way myself. A2 on the 11.5" and a Blackout on the 10.5" I'm building. I'm trying the Blackout until I get a supressor. Another option is the Battlecomp. Although I have no experience with them on SBRs, I understand they are too bad for noise and concussion.

I've used a battlecomp on a 10.5" LMT worked well. Not any noisier that I could tell.

wilco423
06-23-12, 12:30
I went from an A2 to a KX3 to a BC 2.0 back to an A2 on my DD 10.3". The pig did redirect flash and pressure well, but the weight and length plus less predictable muzzle movement made me ditch it. The BC was very effective, but indoors or under cover it was just too much for other team members. The A2 is a better overall muzzle device for my uses as it may not shine in any particular area, but it doesn't really have any downsides.

RGoose
06-23-12, 19:51
Very hard to beat the A2, plus they're only $10.50 with a crush washer.

Javelinadave
06-27-12, 01:09
Just ordered a KX3. Hope it works out.

rob_s
06-27-12, 06:03
If you want the best flash suppression get an AAC black out or a Votrex flash hider. They offer the best flash suppression

Compared to what, and in what testing?

davidjinks
06-27-12, 08:12
I had the KAC TTT on my 10.5. I've also shot a few friends SBRs of varying lengths from 10.3-14.5 with various brakes and FH.

My own personal experience:

The TTT hurts. Bottom line. The concussion from that felt like a smack in the teeth everytime I touched a round off. It definitely rocks as a comp without a doubt. It does everythin it's supposed to do and then some. I will be switching the TTT to my 16" to see if there is a change in concussion.

One of the 12.5s I shot had a SF MB556K on it. It took me 3 rounds to say that it sucks! Sucks in the way of concussion and blast. It definitely did everything SF claims it will do. I've shot a couple 16" rifles with the same brake and it wasn't nearly as bad.

Currently all my SBRs have an A2 on them. I will eventually have a 6933 myself that will be run 100% suppressed. That will be the only time I will put a brake/comp on a SBR again.

If you're looking at flash suppression, then I'll second what many have already said, A2. I have not used it myself but I've "Heard" that the SF 3 pronged FH does a bang up job as does the AAC Blakeout.

usmcvet
06-27-12, 19:53
I went from an A2 to a KX3 to a BC 2.0 back to an A2 on my DD 10.3". The pig did redirect flash and pressure well, but the weight and length plus less predictable muzzle movement made me ditch it. The BC was very effective, but indoors or under cover it was just too much for other team members. The A2 is a better overall muzzle device for my uses as it may not shine in any particular area, but it doesn't really have any downsides.

And it is like ten buck or less.

Compared to what, and in what testing?

I would have to do some looking, which i am not going to do, I've watched many videos online showling the Vortex and Blackout being shot along with other flash hiders and the flash from the blackout and vortex was almost no existence. The Blackout worked a little better in the videos I saw.

I have also shot them both at night and seen them shot, along with A2's, all three during various night fires and they work very well. Do you have any information to the contrary?

usmcvet
06-27-12, 19:57
I may even have my own video still where we were shooting a Battlecomp I was sent to T&E. I was going to do a write up and post the video but my leukemia came back so it never got done. What I remember about the Battlecomp is that it was comparable to the A2 but every few rounds it would get brighter for a shot then go back to about A2 flash supression. We also had an officer with a neutered ban era carbine and that freaking thing had no FH and it had a huge flash.